Uh, oh - how Scott Frost brought Chip Kelly's offense to Central Florida

It's one thing to attract the talent to run that offense to Orlando (a huge percentage of the current UCF roster is from Florida), it's quite another to attract them to Lincoln. Let's see how that works.

Guaranteed to fail.

Because he won't be able to convince the players he needs to run that type of system ... from California, Texas, Florida ... to export themselves to literally the middle of nowhere hell, Lincoln, Nebraska.

The correct scheme to run in the midwest, in my opinion, is a power run/play action/pro style offense, and a crushing defense. Not the wide open, shotgun every snap, basketball offense type of system. That's my $0.02, for however worthless it is.

Any coach Nebraska hires (and it will probably be Frost) will have accomplished some things prior to coming there. If it were all based on the past accomplishments of coaches most of the conference would be lining up their undefeated seasons.

Mike Riley was an NFL coach, longtime rumored candidate at helmet schools, and took freaking Oregon State to a BCS level bowl game. That didn't work out.

Guaranteed to fail.

Because he won't be able to convince the players he needs to run that type of system ... from California, Texas, Florida ... to export themselves to literally the middle of nowhere hell, Lincoln, Nebraska.

The correct scheme to run in the midwest, in my opinion, is a power run/play action/pro style offense, and a crushing defense. Not the wide open, shotgun every snap, basketball offense type of system. That's my $0.02, for however worthless it is.

Oregon was top 10 in rushing all three years that Frost was OC.

Oregon was top 10 in rushing all three years that Frost was OC.

Correct. The biggest misconception of the spread/tempo offense is that it is a pass happy system. Many cases, like Oregon in the past, the field is spread out to create natural running lanes.

I know full well that wide open offenses are very capable, and often do, have huge rushing numbers. Didn't say anything to the contrary.

I'm only saying that a pro-style, power rushing scheme is a completely different system than the wide open stuff, that caters to different body types, where those body types tend to be more concentrated in different parts of the country.

Any coach Nebraska hires (and it will probably be Frost) will have accomplished some things prior to coming there. If it were all based on the past accomplishments of coaches most of the conference would be lining up their undefeated seasons.

Mike Riley was an NFL coach, longtime rumored candidate at helmet schools, and took freaking Oregon State to a BCS level bowl game. That didn't work out.
Dennis Erickson took Oregon State to the Fiesta Bowl and killed ND. Riley went to an Alamo Bowl and lost to Texas by passing the ball with a lead in the second half. He forgot about the running game in 2009.

I know full well that wide open offenses are very capable, and often do, have huge rushing numbers. Didn't say anything to the contrary.

I'm only saying that a pro-style, power rushing scheme is a completely different system than the wide open stuff, that caters to different body types, where those body types tend to be more concentrated in different parts of the country.

Anyone whose mother (that's correct his mother) was his wide receiver coach in high school will be successful at Nebraska or where he coaches. Coaching is in his blood. But then his mother was also champion discus thrower, so winning is in the family. We(Gophers) would have been better off with Riley. New coach, new system, new enthusiasm, new problems. Hopefully they keep their defensive staff.

The B1G West suddenly have formidable established and up and coming coaches. The cold war in B1G West has just escalated. Only Illinois is securely in the bottom.

Can the Gophers climb up from their 5th place average perch? There are five coaches that want PJ Fleck and Lovie Smith to stay at the bottom.

I think Nebby can recruit well enough to Lincoln to run this. Maybe not as good as tOSU but good enough to contend in the West. I agree with the poster who said it's hard to recruit well enough to run the spread in the BiG, but it can be done. Frost is young which I think will help his cause a bit.

It's one thing to attract the talent to run that offense to Orlando (a huge percentage of the current UCF roster is from Florida), it's quite another to attract them to Lincoln. Let's see how that works.

It is also one thing to run that type of offense on warm fields with good traction. Let’s see how it plays out on cold and snowy fields.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is also one thing to run that type of offense on warm fields with good traction. Let’s see how it plays out on cold and snowy fields.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kelly designed and perfected his offense in the cold, wet conditions of Oregon. Frost's biggest issue will be keeping his QB's healthy. Schematicly, the shock value of the Chip Kelly O has sort of run it's course. Lots of teams are doing something similar.

Kelly designed and perfected his offense in the cold, wet conditions of Oregon. Frost's biggest issue will be keeping his QB's healthy. Schematicly, the shock value of the Chip Kelly O has sort of run it's course. Lots of teams are doing something similar.

Bingo. Watching C.Florida the last few weeks, this offense piles up some numbers against extremely athletically overmatched defenders. Not sure it will do the same thing on windy afternoons against athletes who can defend in space 1 on 1. And I really hopes he brings this defense along. Wide open receivers on 2 out of every 3 plays and general confusion at the snap of the ball about half the time.

Great Hire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frost to Nebraska announced: $5m/yr for 7 yrs. His team won the championship in two overtimes but gave up 750 yards and had twice as much yardage passing than running. Not sure that will work in the B1G. Nebraska has had two coaches who put passing first - Callahan and Riley - and both failed. Frost did show some nice option play today, and he likes speed and will probably be a popular coach and good recruiter, but he's not a sure thing for championships. Undoubtedly, the Huskers will improve and be in the run for the West title - it will be interesting to see how PJ does in the rivalry.

So NE won't be good till 2021, right?

Funny how Frost’s system at a lower level won’t transfer to the Big Ten, yet no doubt that Fleck’s will? Funny.

Funny how Frost’s system at a lower level won’t transfer to the Big Ten, yet no doubt that Fleck’s will? Funny.

+1. Seems to me that Frost is quite familiar with the option rushing offense that he ran himself at Neb. It will come down to the OC he hires and his adaptability to the B1G.

Frost supposedly has 90% of his staff already picked out and ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think the west is wide open next year. Anyone other than Illinois winning it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think Frost will have them contending for the west some years. I don’t think it’ll turn into Chip Kelly Oregon Midwest.

If he fails at Nebraska and is fired in 5 years or less, it means Nebraska as a major power is officially dead.

I think the west is wide open next year. Anyone other than Illinois winning it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think Frost will have them contending for the west some years. I don’t think it’ll turn into Chip Kelly Oregon Midwest.

If he fails at Nebraska and is fired in 5 years or less, it means Nebraska as a major power is officially dead.

I disagree.

I think WI wins the west next year by two games.

I think NEB will be Oregon of the Big Ten.
Wisconsin will be the same as they were.

Maybe the west will start to win games against the east on a more regular basis.

Nebraska can't be Oregon though ..... Oregon was only able to be Oregon because they were able to import so many high level kids from California.

Scott Frost, nor anyone else, will be able to import 10-15 high level California kids to middle of nowhere hell Lincoln, Nebraska.

The culture is the difference.

Nebraska can't be Oregon though ..... Oregon was only able to be Oregon because they were able to import so many high level kids from California.

Scott Frost, nor anyone else, will be able to import 10-15 high level California kids to middle of nowhere hell Lincoln, Nebraska.
Also, Chip Kelly > Scott Frost

Top Bottom