Pioneer Press: Gophers AD Mark Coyle wanted to send message with P.J. Fleck extension

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Now as Minnesota’s AD, Coyle maintained that proactive approach last week when he awarded football coach P.J. Fleck a one-year contract extension through the 2022 season. The extension, which maintains the $50,000 annual raises and will be $3.75 million that year, still needs Board of Regents approval at its Dec. 14-15 meetings.

“I felt like it was important to send P.J. a message, and it was important to send our recruits a message and send a message to our fans that we are committed to this person,” Coyle told the Pioneer Press in an interview Wednesday.

Coyle was looking ahead to this week as athletic departments across the country are firing and hiring head coaches, with domino effects expected to hit other programs now comfortable with their coach.

“His name pops up,” Coyle said of Fleck being mentioned in the rumor mill. “There is a reason.”

Coyle rattled off numbers what drew him to Fleck in the first place. At Western Michigan, Fleck went from 1-11 in 2013 to 13-1 and the Cotton Bowl in 2016, while improving the team’s grade-point average a couple of decimal points to above 3.0. “He did it the right way,” Coyle said.

“A year ago he was one of the hottest names in college athletics,” Coyle continued. “… There is a ripple effect in how those things change, and I just felt it was incredibly important that we show a commitment as an institution to our football program, a commitment to him. He’s returned that commitment back to us, which is awesome.”

While taking responsibility, Fleck also has been outspoken in sharing some of the limitations he’s seen in the ability and abundance of a few players he inherited. The Gophers’ incoming 2018 recruiting class, which Coyle mentioned in Fleck’s contract extension announcement, is now ranked 34th in the nation and tops in the seven-team Big Ten West.

During the job interview last January, Fleck warned Coyle that his eccentric style could produce some funky things on his expense reports. Fleck told his prospective new boss that there could be, say, a pirate costume on the spreadsheet at some point.

“I remember (being) like ‘What?’ ” Coyle recalled Wednesday. “He’s like, ‘Just to be creative and do things.’ ”

While Fleck’s unique tactics have included a hospital patient/friend of the program shooting a scholarship offer to walk-on kicker Justin Juenemann out of an air gun as well decorating the football complex with ornamental geese, these haven’t been surprises for Coyle.

“He always worked with us,” Coyle said. “He always kept us in the loop. He talked (during the interview) about, ‘Hey, when you bring me to Minnesota, I’m unique, I’m different.’

“We’ve … embraced that.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/29...eck-extension/

Go Gophers!!

Too bad the message was "I'm incompetent".

Kudos to fleck for fleecing the AD. I think this is why Pitino and Fleck love him. He has no clue.

Kudos to fleck for fleecing the AD. I think this is why Pitino and Fleck love him. He has no clue.

Yeah, because he definitely made the wrong decision keeping Pitino. You just disproved your own point.

You're a buffoon and we are all dumber for having read your post.

LOL! Ah, the dumbing of America.

Message was send loud and clear with contract extension until some big deep pocket program wanted to buyout Fleck which will be peanuts to these schools. I am sure he is on Tennessee's dumb and dumber list.

Did I?

Please, by all means, point out where in my post that I said anything about Coyle should have fired Pitino.

I may be a buffoon but I can at least read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering pitino has a top 15 club atm, I'd say an extension was the right move

Considering pitino has a top 15 club atm, I'd say an extension was the right move

Maybe it was the right move, maybe it wasn't. I wouldn't say the book is closed on that. I mean, being ranked #15 in November is nice, but it's an awfully small sample size to say the extension was justified.

Coyle is looking pretty smart right now and if PJ ends up being a winner, he's going to look like a darn genius for hiring Fleck when he did.

Ya, the basketball program is in the worst shape it’s ever been in. Yer right.

So the message is that it is acceptable to go -4 wins from your immediate predecessor and get outscored 70 to 0 in you last eight quarters of conference play? Effing brilliant.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

"While taking responsibility, Fleck has also been outspoken in sharing the limitations he's seen in the ability...."

What a ridiculous thing to write.

He's not taking responsibility. He leads with, "it's my fault" for appearances, then blames the team in the next breath. You can't simultaneously take responsibility and blame it on someone else. Totally disingenuous. This is my main beef with him this year.

So the message is that it is acceptable to go -4 wins from your immediate predecessor and get outscored 70 to 0 in you last eight quarters of conference play? Effing brilliant.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Just wait until he improves to 6 wins next year and gets lauded for turning the program around. That's going to be the real cake-taker.

If he doesn't struggle in "year 0," it kind of ruins his narrative.

Did I?

Please, by all means, point out where in my post that I said anything about Coyle should have fired Pitino.

I may be a buffoon but I can at least read.

+100 on the buffoon part.

Yeah, because nobody else had that idea...

What I mean is that he was able to secure one of the highest sought after coaches and kept him.
We are markedly better for hiring Fleck as we did than fighting this year's mess for head coaches.

What I mean is that he was able to secure one of the highest sought after coaches and kept him.
We are markedly better for hiring Fleck as we did than fighting this year's mess for head coaches.

Come on now. There’s a former head coach who I hear won 9 games somewhere last year. Bet he’s chomping at the bit to get back being a HC. :rolleyes:

Come on now. There’s a former head coach who I hear won 9 games somewhere last year. Bet he’s chomping at the bit to get back being a HC. :rolleyes:

Well, that's kind of the mystery of the whole deal.

Top Bottom