Jim Carter encourages Regents to vote no on extension; says U ruined Claeys' life

I am still hoping Claeys gets something for next fall. He may still be suffering from guilt by association and his players suffered from lack of due process (as Garrison Keillor and countless men are in today's witch hunts). I'm glad he stood up for due process - without it, we are living in a non-democracy. But this has little or nothing to do with Fleck's extension. Also, the defense was scrappy in the last two games - they didn't give up. If they had, the scores would have been in the Salem/Wacker range of 59-0 or so.

I will bet surprised if Kill is still OC next year. Their last game, his offense had a grand total of 31 snaps. Even Limey was better than that. I think TC is pretty content managing his bar/grill in Kansas.

Does he actually manage a bar/grill right now?

I will bet surprised if Kill is still OC next year. Their last game, his offense had a grand total of 31 snaps. Even Limey was better than that. I think TC is pretty content managing his bar/grill in Kansas.

Well, tough to judge a guy on just one game ... and it is Rutgers, mind you. Think he'll get at least another year. But, I do agree that Ash (the HC) has no special connection to him and would be willing to let him go if it wasn't working out, especially if health concerns crop up again. At least they're trending up under Ash ... 2-10, to 4-8 .... big year next year, to see if they can sustain some improvement.

As far as TC, I absolutely hope he took the year completely off from football, rested, gathered his thoughts, and is now thinking about getting back into it.

I also don't believe for a second that unless there's some other reason (attitude, attendance, etc.) that Fleck wouldn't put the players he thought had the best chance to win out there every game.

You can argue he might have been wrong against NW and WI. I still question whether Green would have been a better choice if Croft was limited in mobility and they weren't going to pass much anyway. But I don't believe for a second he sat there and said "you know, Green could win us this game against Wisconsin, but instead I'm going to play Croft who will surely lose just because Green was going to be Claeys' starter according to GopherHole." He understood how big that game was. First win against WI in 14 years? The fans would have started a Kickstarter to put up a statue of him.

I love Jim Carter's passion for the U of M, but how he directs it is beyond counter-productive.

I think the answer to this is really much simpler than people thing: Fleck really though that Croft was the answer, from the Michigan St game going forward, at least through next year. I think that's why he got to play so much, including the last game. Fleck was assuming he'd get to work with him in the Spring, and next year he would improve.

Green must not have shown much last spring, nor this fall camp. Fleck must have moved on from him as QB, is all I can guess. Wonder if he told him as much, and asked him to change positions, and Green refused? I'm making that up on the spot, just to throw it against the wall, mind you.

I am still hoping Claeys gets something for next fall.

That would be great. Actually think being the DC at TCU would be ideal for him, with his really close connections to Patterson. But he already has a lifer guy at DC.

I'm so sick of hearing about Carter. He needs some professional help.

As I've said before, Jim Carter is the looniest of all looney birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes him and Larry Fitzgerald Sr should get together.

Jim Carter also mentioned that kids watch too much TV, Microwaves cause infertility, and randomly asked if people would get off his lawn. This is one of those rare times when it is a positive that in American culture we tend to marginalize the elderly.

I am still hoping Claeys gets something for next fall. He may still be suffering from guilt by association and his players suffered from lack of due process (as Garrison Keillor and countless men are in today's witch hunts). I'm glad he stood up for due process - without it, we are living in a non-democracy. But this has little or nothing to do with Fleck's extension. Also, the defense was scrappy in the last two games - they didn't give up. If they had, the scores would have been in the Salem/Wacker range of 59-0 or so.

Whatever happened to Claeys he brought it on himself. It has been almost a year and not one of the 10 players has sued the U because they didn't get due process. How long do we have to wait for the lawsuits to come rolling in? There have been many successful lawsuits at other schools by male students claiming they didn't receive due process during their student disciplinary process. How come we can't get even one lawsuit at the U when there was at least one lawyer who was publicly shooting his mouth off for months about how unfair the U's disciplinary process was?

Does he actually manage a bar/grill right now?

He bought a Dairy Queen (I think) while he was here and turned it into a bar. People in his family were running it. I thought he closed it because it was too much work for his mom (although I might be thinking of something else).

But, no, he didn't get fired as Minnesota head coach then land a job as a bar manager after an extended search.

Jim Carter also mentioned that kids watch too much TV, Microwaves cause infertility, and randomly asked if people would get off his lawn. This is one of those rare times when it is a positive that in American culture we tend to marginalize the elderly.

He bought a Dairy Queen (I think) while he was here and turned it into a bar. People in his family were running it. I thought he closed it because it was too much work for his mom (although I might be thinking of something else).

But, no, he didn't get fired as Minnesota head coach then land a job as a bar manager after an extended search.

I am pretty sure your post is correct.

Yeah, I don't think his life is ruined, per se. It simply can't be with years worth of buyout money to do whatever he wants. We should all be so lucky to have our life ruined like that.

Also, if his coaching career is ruined it's the points above and nothing else. If TC can't get a job again it's because he's being blackballed by a society run amok for being a tertiary, not present figure to a non-crime. It's an old fashioned sex panic that's as old as society, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. But he's not ruined because of the U firing him, and certainly not on the merits of his work.

IMHO, Tracy Claeys will bounce back. He is a good DC, and a good person. However, the sex scandal shouldn't have happen under his watch.

Jim Carter is a Gopher forever, and he was demanding change. His heart is in the right place. But, now he is just an obstructionist. It is time to let it go and move on. I know how upset he is with Claeys' firing. But, it is time to move on and give PJ Fleck a chance. I think he will be very successful.

I like the idea of PJ Fleck mending fences with him. We need as many people to be on board to be advocate of Gopher Football becoming successful. Gopher Athletics and the U are relying on it.

Every time anyone says anything that goes against the grain, they are called a nut job.

Carter may very well be that. But, the things quoted in the OP are not wrong.

I didn't really see the players pouring their hearts and souls into those last two games. Maybe that was just the appearance, and they were playing their ass off. But, the way Fleck would publicly rant about how bad they are after every loss to make himself look better, I couldn't blame them for quitting on him. To me, the lack of success was handled pretty poorly by Fleck in that regard. You don't sell your team out under any circumstances. You always say you believe they can be great for morale purposes, whether you really believe it or not.

The thing about Claeys is spot on. They destroyed a good man's reputation in order to make the change. He put his kids first above all else. If I had a son in Winfield's position for example, I would be lauding Claeys for publicly advocating for due process. But, they University officials lied, twisted words, and stacked the deck to paint the man in the most negative light possible so they could make the switch without public backlash.

Frankly, I'm tired of admiration of Claeys and Fleck being mutually exclusive, especially from guys like JB and GWG. You can admit Claeys got absolutely screwed, but still like what Fleck's doing. I'm in that boat. Fleck isn't the snake in the grass that I wouldn't feel comfortable exposing my back to....it's the administration.

But, they University officials lied, twisted words, and stacked the deck to paint the man in the most negative light possible so they could make the switch without public backlash.

Really don't want to get into a flame war over spoiled milk .... but I 100% truly believe this is correct.

Don't know if the plan was hatched entirely by Coyle and Kaler just went along with it, or they both brainstormed it. But I do absolutely believe that as soon as Claeys sent that Tweet in support of his players, they had the ammunition they needed and took full advantage of the situation to oust him and allow Coyle to go after someone he wanted.

IMHO, Tracy Claeys will bounce back. He is a good DC, and a good person. However, the sex scandal shouldn't have happen under his watch.

Jim Carter is a Gopher forever, and he was demanding change. His heart is in the right place. But, now he is just an obstructionist. It is time to let it go and move on. I know how upset he is with Claeys' firing. But, it is time to move on and give PJ Fleck a chance. I think he will be very successful.

I like the idea of PJ Fleck mending fences with him. We need as many people to be on board to be advocate of Gopher Football becoming successful. Gopher Athletics and the U are relying on it.

+1 Good points Heracles, and hungan1! Clearly is the "How" in terminating coach Claeys that troubled most of us.

Hopefully Fleck will succeed at Minnesota. He is now our guy.

Really don't want to get into a flame war over spoiled milk .... but I 100% truly believe this is correct.

Don't know if the plan was hatched entirely by Coyle and Kaler just went along with it, or they both brainstormed it. But I do absolutely believe that as soon as Claeys sent that Tweet in support of his players, they had the ammunition they needed and took full advantage of the situation to oust him and allow Coyle to go after someone he wanted.

Kaler wanted Claeys fired just like Bruininks wanted Mason fired. Claeys gave Kaler sufficient reasons to fire him even before the tweet. For starters, Claeys didn't seem to have any team rules for how players should conduct themselves off the field. There is nothing to prevent college coaches from suspending players for whatever reasons they want. Coaches everywhere in America suspend players without publicly giving the reasons for it. Fleck did it to more than one of his players this past season. Bad behavior by basketball players almost got Pitino fired. There is very little doubt the off field behavior by the football players got Claeys fired. Kaler has made it very clear he is going to hold every one of his coaches accountable for what their players do on their own time. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Jim Carter is our very own LaVar Ball.

Why does Fleck have to mend fences over this incident. PJ didn't fly into Dinkytown and kick Claeys to the curb. If there is any fence mending to be down it is with Coyle and Carter and even that is a stretch.

Kaler wanted Claeys fired just like Bruininks wanted Mason fired. Claeys gave Kaler sufficient reasons to fire him even before the tweet. For starters, Claeys didn't seem to have any team rules for how players should conduct themselves off the field. There is nothing to prevent college coaches from suspending players for whatever reasons they want. Coaches everywhere in America suspend players without publicly giving the reasons for it. Fleck did it to more than one of his players this past season. Bad behavior by basketball players almost got Pitino fired. There is very little doubt the off field behavior by the football players got Claeys fired. Kaler has made it very clear he is going to hold every one of his coaches accountable for what their players do on their own time. And I couldn't be happier about it.

It's amazing that you could post so many things and virtually all of them are wrong.

Of course Claeys had player rules for off-field behavior - what an absolutely idiotic thing to imply otherwise.

Claeys did suspend players.

Claeys was fired because Coyle didn't hire him. The nonsense "scandal" provided him with a stronger and more easily defensible rationale, but it was happening either way.

+1 Good points Heracles, and hungan1! Clearly is the "How" in terminating coach Claeys that troubled most of us.

Hopefully Fleck will succeed at Minnesota. He is now our guy.

I was very upset when it happened like about half of the folks.

But, when I stepped back and found the the coaching staff entrusted JUCO PWO Carlton Djam (because he had a high GPA) to show a recruit around during his visit is a travesty. I don't recall the name of the recruit who also had sex with the girl.

It showed that Claeys did not have tighter control of the discipline of his players with their off-field activities.

I was very upset when it happened like about half of the folks.

But, when I stepped back and found the the coaching staff entrusted JUCO PWO Carlton Djam (because he had a high GPA) to show a recruit around during his visit is a travesty. I don't recall the name of the recruit who also had sex with the girl.

It showed that Claeys did not have tighter control of the discipline of his players with their off-field activities.

Fair points. I'm not sure how Claeys would have known Djam that well (well as he thought he did?). Then again, if he didn't know him that well, maybe he shouldn't have had him chaperone a recruit.

Still think Coyle could have taken notes from other AD's who essentially just said we decided the program needed to go in another direction.

Fair points. I'm not sure how Claeys would have known Djam that well (well as he thought he did?). Then again, if he didn't know him that well, maybe he shouldn't have had him chaperone a recruit.

Still think Coyle could have taken notes from other AD's who essentially just said we decided the program needed to go in another direction.

Agreed.

That should have been the classy thing to do. They had a knee jerk reaction and the consequence is what transpired. They should have hired a damage control professional to help frame out the dismissal of Coach Claeys with tact and dignity to the public. They got their convenient covers - the sex scandal and Coach Claeys texting the players from San Diego. I think Claeys was blind-sided. Both sides (Cleays and Kaler/Coyle) should have met in person before any action was taken. In any Claeys was on his way out.

There is no doubt that in my mind that Claeys would have not coached another season. Minds have been made up.

Agreed.

That should have been the classy thing to do. They had a knee jerk reaction and the consequence is what transpired. They should have hired a damage control professional to help frame out the dismissal of Coach Claeys with tact and dignity to the public. They got their convenient covers - the sex scandal and Coach Claeys texting the players from San Diego. I think Claeys was blind-sided. Both sides (Cleays and Kaler/Coyle) should have met in person before any action was taken. In any Claeys was on his way out.

There is no doubt that in my mind that Claeys would have not coached another season. Minds have been made up.

Agree. I think back to a fundraiser that Coyle was after the first game in 2016. I got the impression, that he was already looking then.

Every time anyone says anything that goes against the grain, they are called a nut job.

Carter may very well be that. But, the things quoted in the OP are not wrong.

I didn't really see the players pouring their hearts and souls into those last two games. Maybe that was just the appearance, and they were playing their ass off. But, the way Fleck would publicly rant about how bad they are after every loss to make himself look better, I couldn't blame them for quitting on him. To me, the lack of success was handled pretty poorly by Fleck in that regard. You don't sell your team out under any circumstances. You always say you believe they can be great for morale purposes, whether you really believe it or not.

The thing about Claeys is spot on. They destroyed a good man's reputation in order to make the change. He put his kids first above all else. If I had a son in Winfield's position for example, I would be lauding Claeys for publicly advocating for due process. But, they University officials lied, twisted words, and stacked the deck to paint the man in the most negative light possible so they could make the switch without public backlash.

Frankly, I'm tired of admiration of Claeys and Fleck being mutually exclusive, especially from guys like JB and GWG. You can admit Claeys got absolutely screwed, but still like what Fleck's doing. I'm in that boat. Fleck isn't the snake in the grass that I wouldn't feel comfortable exposing my back to....it's the administration.

+10

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This is a great idea. Also, start an "All things DII and DIII teams" thread. Most people don't give a siht about what St. Thomas, or Duluth, or North Dakota is doing.

Beautiful. While we’re at it, let’s start threads for how recruiting rankings are calculated, IMG academy, and Sid Hartman.

It is very appropriate that Cruze shows in a thread about an uninformed clown with an agenda.

Claeys will be fine. I don't think he was treated well by Coyle but he has made several million dollars over the last three years. I wish my life was ruined in the same way. I suspect he will show as a DC somewhere next year making 500 000 or so. I hope he has success.

Dougie reports he's in line to be Tennessee's next coach

Top Bottom