I can tolerate this team losing if

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I can tolerate this team losing if it had nothing to do with Murphy or Reggie getting in foul trouble. Murphy had 3 blocks and only 2 fouls, Reggie had 7 blocks and zero fouls. Reggie played 33 minutes and Murphy played 36 minutes. If a team can beat us with those two guys playing as many minutes as they did tonight then they must be one hell of a team. Very few teams in the country are going to beat us when that is the case. Congratulations to Miami, they earned it although seeing Mcbrayer was out was such a kick to the balls.

I can tolerate this team losing if it had nothing to do with Murphy or Reggie getting in foul trouble. Murphy had 3 blocks and only 2 fouls, Reggie had 7 blocks and zero fouls. Reggie played 33 minutes and Murphy played 36 minutes. If a team can beat us with those two guys playing as many minutes as they did tonight then they must be one hell of a team. Very few teams in the country are going to beat us when that is the case. Congratulations to Miami, they earned it although seeing Mcbrayer was out was such a kick to the balls.
We missed McBrayer and Curry tonight, no doubt.
Tip the hat to the Canes.

Miami just flat out has a better main rotation of talent. Our big men are good but top teams with average/savvy big men know how to neutralize and take away that strength on the offensive side.

Bruce Brown vs. Mason is probably a wash, but after that, their next options well outclass our next men up (Hurt, Washington, Harris, Coffey). Good news is that Harris and Washington have a big freshman year growth curve coming up.

McBrayer is a key talent lost, for sure. He's that consistent piece that helps to pick up the slack for streaky Coffey and Washington.

Some tough lessons tonight. Particularly for Mr Jelly. Though I don't think anyone will remember this when he's all conference in two years

At full strength we probably win that game against what is a very good Miami team. Never want to lose, especially at home but no shame in losing to a top 10 team. This was a great learning experience for Washington and the team as a whole and will help them down the line.

Miami just flat out has a better main rotation of talent. Our big men are good but top teams with average/savvy big men know how to neutralize and take away that strength on the offensive side.

Bruce Brown vs. Mason is probably a wash, but after that, their next options well outclass our next men up (Hurt, Washington, Harris, Coffey). Good news is that Harris and Washington have a big freshman year growth curve coming up.

McBrayer is a key talent lost, for sure. He's that consistent piece that helps to pick up the slack for streaky Coffey and Washington.

Miami is very good, but I disagree with this statement if McBrayer is playing.

If McBrayer played... and we had less of Washington, with McBrayer's shooting... we probably win. That said, Miami is tough but nothing unbeatable.

Miami has a much deeper rotation of talent, especially in this game with Mcbrayer out but I would not say their main guys are necessarily better than our main guys. I would take Mason over Newton, McBrayer over their starting two, forget name, Coffey and Brown is a wash, Brown is probably a bit better but not by a lot, Murphy is superior to Laurence and Huell and Lynch are about even although I like Lynch's defense.

Lykes, Walker and Uzindu are superior to Harris, Hurt and Konate and in this game Newton was much better than IW which wouldn't be a primary matchup for the two if we had Dupree this game. It would be Lykes vs IW.

If McBrayer played... and we had less of Washington, with McBrayer's shooting... we probably win. That said, Miami is tough but nothing unbeatable.

McBrayer playing would have equalled much less Hurt.

Refs missed a lot of fouls in the paint. I counted 3-4 on Lynch I would have called. Not sure if he was playing more physical because he knew he was getting away with it, but he easily could have been in foul trouble if they called the game differently.

He has been much better at staying out of foul trouble though. Huge improvement over last year.

If Washington had played even somewhat competently we win that game. He absolutely killed us last night. The 8-0 run (or whatever it was) to open the half was 100% on him.

These stat lines he's putting up lately of 15+ shots with no rebounds and assists are just unacceptable, IMO. He needs to get into the paint and pass the damn ball instead of the flailing shot attempts. Without the ball, he needs to do some things other than stand on the perimeter waiting to get the ball back.

Frankly, if I'm a guy like Mason or Lynch (senior), I'm a little pissed off. That could've been a HUGE game for seeding purposes come tournament time. Could've been the best win of the season when it's all over. Opportunities like that don't come around often.

If Washington had played even somewhat competently we win that game. He absolutely killed us last night. The 8-0 run (or whatever it was) to open the half was 100% on him.

These stat lines he's putting up lately of 15+ shots with no rebounds and assists are just unacceptable, IMO. He needs to get into the paint and pass the damn ball instead of the flailing shot attempts. Without the ball, he needs to do some things other than stand on the perimeter waiting to get the ball back.

Frankly, if I'm a guy like Mason or Lynch (senior), I'm a little pissed off. That could've been a HUGE game for seeding purposes come tournament time. Could've been the best win of the season when it's all over. Opportunities like that don't come around often.

Truth!

Now we get a shot at Arkansas. Want that win badly. We woulda, coulda, shoulda, last night but we didn't. I still love this team as much as before. It is a very good team. Go Gophers!

A medium-serious lack of depth was exposed last night, but I think Gophers would have won with McBrayer and a little better shooting. Perhaps the team's worst shooter %-wise shouldn't have taken as many shots as the two most efficient players (Murphy/Lynch) combined. The issues last night were very fixable going forward, but may not be if injuries or other bad luck strikes.

We scored 81 points at home and lost. Check the defensive efficiency numbers.

We scored 81 points at home and lost. Check the defensive efficiency numbers.

+1. It has been mentioned before about our inability to guard anyone and our inability/refusal to change the way we chose to guard the high ball screen.

+1. It has been mentioned before about our inability to guard anyone and our inability/refusal to change the way we chose to guard the high ball screen.

Agree.

It was mentioned before the game that Miami struggled to shoot the 3. It didn't turn out that way, but why not at least have the thought to zone them a little?

Agree.

It was mentioned before the game that Miami struggled to shoot the 3. It didn't turn out that way, but why not at least have the thought to zone them a little?

I’m hoping someone asks Pitino the zone question, as I agree. I’m guessing he will answer that it is not a good idea against a hot-shooting team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom