STrib Letter to the Editor: It may be 'goodbye, Gophers'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

U FOOTBALL

It may be 'goodbye, Gophers'

As an alumnus of the University of Minnesota, I have attended Gopher football games since the 1960s. Unfortunately, we were at Saturday's game against Wisconsin. We paid $80 each for an upper-level, end-zone seat to witness a Division III-caliber performance. The promises and slogans of coaches over the years are starting to wear thin, and I may have attended my last Gopher game in person. Based on Saturday's outcome, I am sure the university will extend the contract of "The Music Man 2" once again. I don't think we need promises and slogans; we need to put a better product on the field. If, however, we do need a slogan, it should be changed from "Row the Boat" to [Chief Martin] Brody's line in "Jaws": "I think we are going to need a bigger boat."

Bruce Lemke, Orono

http://m.startribune.com/readers-wr...s-gophers-football/460373723/?section=opinion

Go Gophers!!

If they were at the game because they "paid $80 each for an upper-level, end-zone seat" maybe the U can get along without him.

Goodbye, Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rolleyes: A little dramatic for my taste, but it is what it is. Fleck definitely has a lot of work to do to win over the fan-base in MN after years and years of mediocrity. Whether it is his fault or not, he chose this and hopefully embraces it all en route to finally giving us a successful and competitive program. RTB!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course...but my first reaction was, "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out." That said, it is sad Gopher FB has been so bad that the casual fan has drifted away.

I'm really bullish on PJ, so my guess is good ol' Bruce Lemke will be making the drive over from Orono in a couple years when the Gophers are contending for the West...just like many other fair-weather fans. Hey, no prob. We need them in the boat too.

Right. We have too many fans in attendance already. Who needs ones that don't agree with you.

Sorry to see you go, but college sports is more than just winning. No one forces anyone to attend the games. I go and tailgate with friends, it's an event and even though it was a tough season I stuck with them. I like to think of it as supporting the program. We have a first year coach and you should give him time to get his players and system in place before you bail out on the program.

I was at the bowl game against WSU and saw an exceptional team and received good value what the tickets cost.

that said, the team on saturday did look more like the 1983 gophers. (edit: 1983 team sans offense)

It's a great complaint letter with absolutely no solutions or suggestions.

Great job, writer!

If there is one thing we don't have enough of, it's people who have the time to complain who don't have any better solutions to offer. People are just looking for people like that.
Just complain, complain, complain. We want short term results. Not only do we want them now, we want them last week!

Good job, Bruce!

My sons and I drove up from Denver Friday, went to game on Saturday and drove home on Sunday. While we were disappointed, pissed off after the game, we all had a great time and are already planning which game to attend next year.

Right. We have too many fans in attendance already. Who needs ones that don't agree with you.

You are absolutely right. However a guy who may have only purchased a single ticket this year and who's other two reference points dates back to 1985 and 1979, may not be the way to fill up those stands in the future.

Though he's right about the product on the field his "threat" is beyond hollow.

IMHO at least.

Well, what do you propose, other than -- as the letter author explicitly cited as his main reason for leaving -- winning more games?

They're not trying not to win games ...

Sorry to see you go, but college sports is more than just winning. No one forces anyone to attend the games. I go and tailgate with friends, it's an event and even though it was a tough season I stuck with them. I like to think of it as supporting the program. We have a first year coach and you should give him time to get his players and system in place before you bail out on the program.

You're right, D1 football is more than winning. It's about generating large bundles of cash for the administration.

Well, what do you propose, other than -- as the letter author explicitly cited as his main reason for leaving -- winning more games?

They're not trying not to win games ...

I propose a site that obsesses over attendance and how important it is doesn't dismiss any fans leaving as a good thing.

This guy said negative things and instantly we don't want him. Let's not care he is spot on. We are likely 3 posts from some dude in Iowa referring to him as a "fan" (gasp)

At my advanced age I can't remember the old saying - something about doors and asses

If anyone can come up with it, send it to the letter writer

I propose a site that obsesses over attendance and how important it is doesn't dismiss any fans leaving as a good thing.

This guy said negative things and instantly we don't want him. Let's not care he is spot on. We are likely 3 posts from some dude in Iowa referring to him as a "fan" (gasp)

Why don't you and Bruce both just **** off?

Everybody wins.

The U should knock off the second year "donation" and get season tickets back to a reasonable level, or - with this 5-7 season - they will be down in sales. But, lest we forget, in the Salem/Wacker years the beatdowns were in the 58-0 range. Kill brought defense back.

not sure he will be missed. Perhaps he is running short on money and is using the lack of improvement as an excuse for not buying tickets. Anyway, if he is a true Gopher Fan, he will come back for key games next fall. Looking at Fresco State, they will be a real load for the 2018 Gophers. Maybe he can find tickets and become a vocal supporter at this game.

It will be interesting to see the size of the crowds next season. To legitimately get people in the seats it seems that an overall reduction in ticket prices is in order.
It didn't help that in one breath PJ talked of adding more seats to the stadium while with the next breath he told us that we would not be competitive until 2020.
After watching this season, I am inclined to think the second breath was more truthful.
Bottom line, lower the ticket prices. $20 for the top level and $40 for the bottom seems about right.

A non donation seating area SEASON ticket is $310. $310 !

As far as I am concerned, it is the best sporting event value in the Twin Cities.... I get a LOT of FUN out of that $310......

A non donation seating area SEASON ticket is $310. $310 !

As far as I am concerned, it is the best sporting event value in the Twin Cities.... I get a LOT of FUN out of that $310......
Give me a chair back for that price and I am back in.

Gopher fans have been full of Lamentations and in Exodus mode, but if PJ does his Job the team will be a Revelation and their Acts will cause the skeptical Judges to return in great Numbers and it will be the Genesis of a new era.

Gopher fans have been full of Lamentations and in Exodus mode, but if PJ does his Job the team will be a Revelation and their Acts will cause the skeptical Judges to return in great Numbers and it will be the Genesis of a new era.

Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7:10 | NIV
:rolleyes:
Patience, Bruce.

If one fan leaves, it's regrettable, but not a major impact.

So, I query, how many fans have to leave before it does matter: 100 - 1,000 - 5,000 - 10,000?

Is there anyone here who thinks it's a positive for the program to have teams playing before a half-empty stadium?

I will bet you right now - there will be at least one game next year where actual bodies in seats will be 30,000 or less.

Bottom line - a significant number of people feel that the U of MN is not providing a level of football entertainment that justifies the ticket price.

If the U wants bodies in seats, they need to bite the bullet and offer rock-bottom ticket prices next year. Maybe a deal like a satellite TV company - get the 1st year for peanuts, then the price goes up in future years.

I would rather see people in the stands watching the game. Even if some of those people are paying less for their tickets. At least they're at the game, and they might spend some money on food and beer. Fans sitting at home are not providing any money for the U coffers.

Drastically Cutting prices is not the answer. It creates more problems with premium season ticket holders. 1000 x $10 is $10,000. It does nothing. Start 6 and 1 and we’ll have people. Put a better product on the field.

per the STrib:

U FOOTBALL

It may be 'goodbye, Gophers'

As an alumnus of the University of Minnesota, I have attended Gopher football games since the 1960s. Unfortunately, we were at Saturday's game against Wisconsin. We paid $80 each for an upper-level, end-zone seat to witness a Division III-caliber performance. The promises and slogans of coaches over the years are starting to wear thin, and I may have attended my last Gopher game in person. Based on Saturday's outcome, I am sure the university will extend the contract of "The Music Man 2" once again. I don't think we need promises and slogans; we need to put a better product on the field. If, however, we do need a slogan, it should be changed from "Row the Boat" to [Chief Martin] Brody's line in "Jaws": "I think we are going to need a bigger boat."

Bruce Lemke, Orono

http://m.startribune.com/readers-wr...s-gophers-football/460373723/?section=opinion

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like the type of antiquated fan that yells at anyone who stands up and cheers, etc...

So long.

Nice set of Proverbs, but the Maccabees are out.

Top Bottom