Richard Pitino’s advice to fellow Gophers coach P.J. Fleck: It gets better.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

As Fleck’s first season as football coach ended unceremoniously with a 5-7 record (2-7 Big Ten), Pitino has chatted with him about overcoming early struggles.

Two seasons ago, Pitino’s job was in question after an 8-23 season.

“It’s a nice reminder to him,” Pitino said of their talks. “The narrative about me right now was not the narrative two years ago. So it can change. He knows that, but it’s always nice to hear from someone like me who has been through it before.”

Pitino watched some football games this season and heard the criticism about Fleck’s team falling from the 9-4 record that Tracy Claeys posted last season in his final as head coach.

“He’s building,” Pitino said. “It takes players and recruiting. It’s not easy. People think it’s easy to take over a situation when a coach gets fired. But you immediately lose out on a recruiting class, you’re immediately coaching a bunch of players that you did not recruit. As much as P.J. and his staff have done a great job of building their culture, in that locker room it’s different.

“Every kid on my team right now that’s playing for me (saw) the role that we envisioned for them. It was laid out in their house and at their school. They embraced it and understood it. It just takes time. It’s an awful pill to swallow, but it just takes time. … With P.J., there’s zero doubt in my mind that he’s going to get it done.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/2...ellow-gophers-coach-p-j-fleck-it-gets-better/

Go Gophers!!

This bromance between Pitino & Fleck makes me tear up every time :cry:

Good assurance from a fellow Gopher coach.

A football program is tough to build in that it has so many moving parts, and so many things can go wrong.

If Pitino can survive so can Fleck. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom