Thoughts on other B1G teams?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I haven't watched a ton of the other teams so far. Anyone have strong thoughts on our conference opponents? Aside from scores I have little opinion on any of them.

Any teams looking better than expected? Who looks worse? Any conference games to look forward to aside from the obvious? Who is your Top 4 right now?

Top 4 right now

1 Michigan State
2 Minnesota
3 Purdue
4 ??????? (Maryland or Penn State)

Purdue in it's first few games looked unwelming. Last night...they looked good.

Northwestern has their moments....and then they don't

Maryland looks OK

Iowa....not so good

Penn St......Makes me nervous. they play super hard.

MSU - first games were alright....against NC they played lights out.

OSU - Jury is still out, but they don't have talent like years past

have not seen Nebraska, Michigan, Illinois, or Indiana play

What's everyone's take on WI?

They've dropped 4 games to top 25 opponents. I'm not quite sure what to make of them.

Northwestern looks like the classic case of someone reaching their goal and then not maintaining that drive. They're probably too good to stay this bad but it will be tough for them to make the tournament again after this non-conference schedule.

Wisconsin is in bad need of a good non-conference win if they lose to Marquette then they will need a great conference record just to make the tourney as they would have 5 non-conference losses without a signature non-conference win to balance it out.

Rutgers looks better than I expected. They didn't get run out of the gym vs Florida st.

Purdue looks to be adjusting to their new roster balance and I would expect them to get noticeably better as the season goes along.

What's everyone's take on WI?

They've dropped 4 games to top 25 opponents. I'm not quite sure what to make of them.

They’re one of about 4-5 teams in the running for 4th place.
I honestly think there is a chance big ten only gets 3 in the tourney. Especially if the top 3 avoid getting upset.

Northwestern has to be the most disappointing team so far. It's early in the season, but they do not look like an NCAA tournament team right now. They haven't even looked good against the mid-majors they've faced. Iowa, like normal, doesn't play defense, but their offense isn't bailing them out of games this year. I can't believe I'm saying this, but right now, Penn State looks like the fourth best team in the Big Ten. Who knows how they'll look at the end of Big Ten season. With how bad the Big Ten has been during the non-conference, I think there's a very good chance only five teams could make it to the dance...

I honestly think there is a chance big ten only gets 3 in the tourney. Especially if the top 3 avoid getting upset.

Three bids for a power conference sounded super low to me, but the SEC has apparently done it a few times recently. I would think that someone like Michigan, Maryland, Northwestern, or Wisconsin might be able to weasel their way to 20 wins and a tournament bid by being able to consistently win against the other mid-tier Big Ten teams, but outside of maybe Maryland beating Butler, I'm not sure anyone other than us, MSU, and Purdue has gotten a decent, resume-boosting non-conference win.

The Big Ten will get more than 3! Between Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Maryland, and Penn State some of those teams will step up and get in. Beilein teams always are playing well at end. You are correct though with the fact right now that other than Minnesota, Michigan State, and Purdue there are really no quality wins by anyone else in the BIG!

I've watched just about every Big Ten game available on network TV (or facebook). Here are my rankings.

I know most will think I have Wisconsin and Northwestern too high because of their records - but I still think both are better than any team below them from what I've seen.

1) Michigan State
2) Minnesota
3) Purdue
4) Michigan
5) Maryland
6) Penn State
7) Wisconsin
8) Northwestern
9) Ohio State
10) Indiana
11) Iowa
12) Illinois
13) Rutgers
14) Nebraska

I've watched just about every Big Ten game available on network TV (or facebook). Here are my rankings.

I know most will think I have Wisconsin and Northwestern too high because of their records - but I still think both are better than any team below them from what I've seen.

1) Michigan State
2) Minnesota
3) Purdue
4) Michigan
5) Maryland
6) Penn State
7) Wisconsin
8) Northwestern
9) Ohio State
10) Indiana
11) Iowa
12) Illinois
13) Rutgers
14) Nebraska

This looks about right to me. I'd slide down Indiana but most of the others seem close to where they should be. I, like you, think that Michigan is going to end up near the top of the conference. They have a great player, and enough good players surrounding him to be relevant.

I've watched Wisconsin four times, and they are underwhelming to say the least. They have an incredibly difficult time scoring the ball. Ethan Happ is still great, and Davison has played really well thus far, but nobody else on that roster has stepped up. If any team has an average scoring night vs Bucky they will win.

Purdue has pretty good depth, so I like their chances vs anybody on any given night.

I think tonight and the game at Arkansas are going to be the best remaining litmus tests for the Gophers. If all goes well, expectations should be 14+ B1G wins.

I would tier them as follows, order within the tiers is just my gut feeling as I haven't watched them all play.

1st Tier
1) Michigan State

2nd Tier
2) Purdue
3) Minnesota

3rd Tier
4) Maryland
5) Wisconsin
6) Penn State
7) Michigan

4th Tier
8) Northwestern
9) Ohio State
10) Iowa
11) Indiana

5th Tier
12) Illinois
13) Rutgers
14) Nebraska

1) Michigan State
2) Minnesota
3) Purdue
4) Michigan
5) Maryland
6) Penn State
7) Wisconsin
8) Northwestern
9) Ohio State
10) Indiana
11) Iowa
12) Illinois
13) Rutgers
14) Nebraska

That's about right. I think Wisconsin will figure some things out though. Their 2015 Recruiting class is killing them, they provide literally nothing and it was a 5 man class

Where's the Bucky fan saying Pritzl would be better than Koening

I would tier them as follows, order within the tiers is just my gut feeling as I haven't watched them all play.

1st Tier
1) Michigan State

2nd Tier
2) Purdue
3) Minnesota

3rd Tier
4) Maryland
5) Wisconsin
6) Penn State
7) Michigan

4th Tier
8) Northwestern
9) Ohio State
10) Iowa
11) Indiana

5th Tier
12) Illinois
13) Rutgers
14) Nebraska

If Wisconsin is in tier 3, you would be obligated to put NW in there as well, no way Wisco is better than NW.

That's about right. I think Wisconsin will figure some things out though. Their 2015 Recruiting class is killing them, they provide literally nothing and it was a 5 man class

Where's the Bucky fan saying Pritzl would be better than Koening

I get the feeling they will get better as the season goes on as well. Not sure they will finish in the top 4 but they'll probably end up close due to the conference being so down.

Purdue has good depth? Their bench managed 12 total points in their back to back losses over Thanksgiving weekend. Unless they all had career worse games, I question their depth. Their starting 5 looks solid.

Purdue has good depth? Their bench managed 12 total points in their back to back losses over Thanksgiving weekend. Unless they all had career worse games, I question their depth. Their starting 5 looks solid.

Haarms at 7' 3" looks pretty smooth, and Cline as a Junior give them decent options. It slots them ahead of many other B1G teams in terms of depth. Obviously the deepest team is MSU and it's not close.

1 Michigan State
2 Minnesota
3 Purdue
4 ??????? (Maryland or Penn State)

Big target on Michigan state(as always), Minnesota, and Purdue now as those right now seem to be the only quality wins a team can get. Big Ten teams opportunity is getting smaller by the day as no one has won any big games other than those 3!

Obviously it hasn't been a great start for the B1G this season. The B1G has 5 quality wins at this point, but that's only by 3 teams(Gophers over Bama/Prov, Purdue over Zona/UL and MSU over UNC). The rest of the league is 0-14 against the KenPom top 50. There are some good opportunities for the conference to pick up some nice wins. Obviously the rest of the ACC/B1G Challenge games. Wisconsin still has Temple and Marquette, Purdue still has Valpo and Butler, Iowa still has ISU(if that means much) and Colorado, Gophers still have Arkansas, Michigan has UCLA and Texas, Indiana has Louisville and Notre Dame, Nebraska has Creighton and Kansas, Illinois has UNLV and Missouri, Northwestern has Valpo and Oklahoma, Rutgers has Seton Hall, Ohio State has UNC. If the B1G can go at least .500 in those games, that might save some face, but based on how everyone is playing I doubt that happens.

Obviously it hasn't been a great start for the B1G this season. The B1G has 5 quality wins at this point, but that's only by 3 teams(Gophers over Bama/Prov, Purdue over Zona/UL and MSU over UNC). The rest of the league is 0-14 against the KenPom top 50. There are some good opportunities for the conference to pick up some nice wins. Obviously the rest of the ACC/B1G Challenge games. Wisconsin still has Temple and Marquette, Purdue still has Valpo and Butler, Iowa still has ISU(if that means much) and Colorado, Gophers still have Arkansas, Michigan has UCLA and Texas, Indiana has Louisville and Notre Dame, Nebraska has Creighton and Kansas, Illinois has UNLV and Missouri, Northwestern has Valpo and Oklahoma, Rutgers has Seton Hall, Ohio State has UNC. If the B1G can go at least .500 in those games, that might save some face, but based on how everyone is playing I doubt that happens.

Holy cow there are a lot of losses in there

Holy cow there are a lot of losses in there

I think Wisconsin goes at least 1-1, Purdue probably goes 2-0, have no clue on Iowa, could lose both or win both, I think our game against Arkansas is a toss up. I think Michigan goes 0-2, I think Indiana goes 0-2, I think Nebraska goes 0-2, I think Illinois goes 0-2, I think NW goes 1-1, Rutgers goes 0-1 and Ohio State goes 0-1.

Taking our game out of the equation, and just giving Iowa a split at 1-1 because I have no idea, that would leave the record at 5-13 in those games. But as it stand now none of those 5 wins would be over a team currently in the top 50 of KenPom. The conference is 5-14 against the top 50 in KenPom, if things go as I predict, that record would be 5-24 or there about against the current top 50 of KenPom.

Top Bottom