Harbaugh vs. Fleck vs. Expectations

BroncoRedux

Reaction score
Who has more to complain about, a Michigan Wolverine football fan or a Minnesota Golden Gopher football fan? Harbaugh has beaten Michigan State once and Ohio State zero times. Fleck has beaten nobody of importance unless you think big red still means something. If that’s the case after three years then Fleck is toast in Minneapolis. How long before Harbaugh is toast in Ann Arbor if he continues to lose to MSU and OSU?

Who has more to complain about, a Michigan Wolverine football fan or a Minnesota Golden Gopher football fan? Harbaugh has beaten Michigan State once and Ohio State zero times. Fleck has beaten nobody of importance unless you think big red still means something. If that’s the case after three years then Fleck is toast in Minneapolis. How long before Harbaugh is toast in Ann Arbor if he continues to lose to MSU and OSU?

Weird rumors that Harbaugh is working on a lifetime contract - he hasn't delivered quite yet, as you say, but is a huge improvement over his predecessor.

I don't think you're upset if you're a fan of either school to be honest. Obviously was a down year for them (Michigan), but there's no question he has brought notoriety to that program plus two 10-win seasons in three years. Disappointing year, but still a good (if not great) hire for them overall.

Then you have us obviously. A 5-win season sucks, so I suppose we have that to complain about. But comparing us to Michigan is apples & oranges until we can prove otherwise with sustained competitiveness. Only time will tell if Fleck can deliver on his promises.

So to answer your question, I guess it is us. I think more patience should be given in both situations by both fan-bases however.

Losing two QBs to transfers and a wr...
After year three on a team already thin on offense

Michigan fans, higher expectations, further along in the tenure. They've lost 13/14 to OSU and the one win was the Luke Fickell year

Michigan fans, higher expectations, further along in the tenure. They've lost 13/14 to OSU and the one win was the Luke Fickell year

Saying Michigan fans have more to complain about means you think Michigan fans are entitled to better results simply because they are Michigan fans

Check next year's Michigan roster and next year's Minnesota roster. The Maize and Blue are going to be much better next year while Minnesota...umm...our coach says we have to wait until 2020.

Check next year's Michigan roster and next year's Minnesota roster. The Maize and Blue are going to be much better next year while Minnesota...umm...our coach says we have to wait until 2020.

We'll compare the teams next year at this time and see what happens. Coach I believe was talking huge things in 2020, not just winning the west. I'll let the negative people take over now. They usually do.

We'll compare the teams next year at this time and see what happens. Coach I believe was talking huge things in 2020, not just winning the west. I'll let the negative people take over now. They usually do.

It would be refreshing if coach would just not tell us we will be something in 2020. I am interested in being something by the end of our next game and then we can talk about the week after. Michigan was still decent with Hoke and yes by their standards he was not good enough. Not sure Harbaugh will really be able to deliver a national championship. We were decent with the last regime and tanked with a boat load of excuses. I think we do have the right to complain some. Its not negative, it is reality. I give Fleck the next two years to show me a team with guts, win or lose. This year was gutless.

It would be refreshing if coach would just not tell us we will be something in 2020. I am interested in being something by the end of our next game and then we can talk about the week after. Michigan was still decent with Hoke and yes by their standards he was not good enough. Not sure Harbaugh will really be able to deliver a national championship. We were decent with the last regime and tanked with a boat load of excuses. I think we do have the right to complain some. Its not negative, it is reality. I give Fleck the next two years to show me a team with guts, win or lose. This year was gutless.
This year had a lot of things happening behind the scenes. Stuff that will become more apparent as time goes by. It never fails to amaze me how short sighted people are. Building a good foundation takes time and planning and fitting pieces together. Building on sand quickly or building on rock purposely... easy choice for me.

I expect Michigan to win the East next year. We'll see if MN can be expected to win the West in 2020.

Look at Michigan's roster that last 50 years, and our roster the last 50 years.

This year had a lot of things happening behind the scenes. Stuff that will become more apparent as time goes by. It never fails to amaze me how short sighted people are. Building a good foundation takes time and planning and fitting pieces together. Building on sand quickly or building on rock purposely... easy choice for me.

I have heard the behind the scenes thing a couple of times. Curious to know what that is...heard the building foundation on bricks rather than sand too. Understand that every regime must rebuild the one before it and needs to make sure people know the previous was bad. This will take time and I really hope that it produces a Rose bowl trip for us.

I expect Michigan to win the East next year. We'll see if MN can be expected to win the West in 2020.

You may be the only person outside of Ann Arbor that thinks Michigan is going to win the East.

Who are Michigan's crossover games next year? What class is McSorley?

Michigan gets Wisconsin, @Northwestern and Nebraska. Ohio State gets us, @Purdue and Nebraska. McSorley's a junior but Penn State probably takes a step back next year with Barkley going pro. I would imagine Ohio State runs away with it fairly easily with how much they have returning. When Harbaugh's had great success it's been with a dominant running game. He had it with Gerhart at Stanford, Gore with San Francisco but he's yet to find that guy in Ann Arbor. He's having a hard time finding competent quarterback play too.

Top Bottom