Wednesday vs #10 Miami is officially a Gold out

Gold Out

Reaction score
Keep the maroon at home!

It would help if they gave out Gold shirts for the students. Maybe they will this year?

Keep the maroon at home!

It would help if they gave out Gold shirts for the students. Maybe they will this year?

This is being heavily discussed elsewhere but yes, students are getting shirts.

And students already got gold shirts with their student tickets... and probably get a free gold shirt every month just for stepping on campus.

There was an effort a few years back for the student section to be a permanent gold out. Didn't go over too well with that crowd...

Would love to see the students in all gold but I would rather see them all there!!! The crowd totally feeds off the students. Go Barnyard!!!!

Do something cool like start "let's go gophers" chants.

Looks like the oldies are at about 60% gold. How damn hard is it to wear a gold shirt? Such a lame ass fan base sometimes.

Can we stop the "bull$4!$" chant already.

Sounds so immature and lacks class.

Afraid to take my daughter to the game because of stuff like that.

Looks like the oldies are at about 60% gold. How damn hard is it to wear a gold shirt? Such a lame ass fan base sometimes.

Yup.

A fairly large portion of our fan base at Williams does not to their part to contribute to the atmosphere and lift the team, and the problem is many of them are in the seats closest to the court.

Williams simply is not as much of a home court advantage as it should be.

You’re looking for class from a college basketball student section???

That's just a part of college basketball. I know we have Minnesota nice but it would be odd to have a well behaved student section. There are much worse things to chant.

We are "oldies" section who sit in the section behind the visitor's bench and were dressed in gold. A major problem is that the vast majority of the seats in our section are occupied by different people (I won't call them fans) each game. This suggests that these are corporate tickets that are given to clients or employees who are not necessarily fans and who rarely wear Gopher gear of any color. A secondary problem is that most of the Gopher gear available for purchase is maroon. Given these challenges, the number of non-student fans who were dressed in gold was more than I expected -- a sad commentary perhaps, but true.

If you’re doing a gold out, or a black or maroon out for that matter, get a sponsor and give t shirts to all fans by either handing them out at the doors or placing them on the seats. I was there and participation was good but hardly universal. The fact is between the older demographic that isn’t as tuned into social media or even email, the fact that people are more likely to own maroon Gopher gear than gold, and that this isn’t some college town where media hype can more easily spread the word, getting people on board is tough. I’ll say this, it seems to get better every time the U tries this. The first attempt was an utter failure at a football game when the word was poorly spread, the weather was cool and wet which forced people into jackets (ownership of gold jackets is low), and to top it off the team wore maroon jerseys.

If you’re doing a gold out, or a black or maroon out for that matter, get a sponsor and give t shirts to all fans by either handing them out at the doors or placing them on the seats. I was there and participation was good but hardly universal. The fact is between the older demographic that isn’t as tuned into social media or even email, the fact that people are more likely to own maroon Gopher gear than gold, and that this isn’t some college town where media hype can more easily spread the word, getting people on board is tough. I’ll say this, it seems to get better every time the U tries this. The first attempt was an utter failure at a football game when the word was poorly spread, the weather was cool and wet which forced people into jackets (ownership of gold jackets is low), and to top it off the team wore maroon jerseys.

^^^This. The marketing effort wasn't thought through...they called for a Gold Out and gave shirts to students, but instead chose to spend sponsor dollars on pom-poms, which 1) don't show up well on TV, and 2) are lame because people are required to wave them. I'd bet most of them ended up on the Barn's floor under the seats. Gold really pops on TV and the scene at tipoff ESPN showed of the student section looked amazing...just rows and rows of gold. I can only imagine how incredible the entire Barn would look like with everyone wearing it. Hopefully the marketing department can do a better planning job next time.

+1 Agree

Pom poms are much cheaper than t-shirts. If a sponsor had been willing to pay for 14,000 t-shirts, I suspect they would have done it. Even if a shirt is cheap, lets say, $5, that is $70k. 14,000 pom moms are probably $.50/pom, or $7k.

Not sure on the marketing budget for in-game promotions but I can tell you it isn't being spent on the national anthem singer/performer or the halftime entertainment.

Pom poms are much cheaper than t-shirts. If a sponsor had been willing to pay for 14,000 t-shirts, I suspect they would have done it. Even if a shirt is cheap, lets say, $5, that is $70k. 14,000 pom moms are probably $.50/pom, or $7k.

Not sure on the marketing budget for in-game promotions but I can tell you it isn't being spent on the national anthem singer/performer or the halftime entertainment.

Thought the same thing. Made me pine for the lady that balances cups and plates to come back.

Thought the same thing. Made me pine for the lady that balances cups and plates to come back.

Red Panda is a national treasure and should be treated as such.

She is the Michael Jordan of arena halftime shows.

Red Panda Acrobat was at a Timberwolves game a week or so ago. I’m still a big Quick Change fan and think the Simon Says guy a while back was fun. As for the T-shirts, it’d be costly but they had them last night for the students and it’s done for all fans far more often than not for these color outs.

Top Bottom