Myron Medcalf

Seriously.....why does he do it. I bet he didn't even watch the game.

"Even before Minnesota nearly lost to an Alabama squad with just three available players in the finale of the Barclays Center Classic in Brooklyn on Saturday, the league had started the season adrift."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tate-the-major-conferences-college-basketball

This shouldn't bother you much. The entire national media laid it out this exact way. Wrong? Yes. But Medcalf is far from the first to use this plot

I'm not a Myron can but he's right. We did almost lose to Alabama. It was a fluke situation but it is what it is. This is no where near some of the cheap shots he's taken at us in previous years. He's actually been rather optimistic about the Gophers recently.

All that being said, he's still a hack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The reporting on that game has been azy among all media outlets. If anyone thinks less of the Gophers as a team because of the last 10 mins, they're either intentionally idiotic or they didn't watch the first thirty minutes. Or both. In this case, probably both.

I'm not a Myron can but he's right. We did almost lose to Alabama. It was a fluke situation but it is what it is. This is no where near some of the cheap shots he's taken at us in previous years. He's actually been rather optimistic about the Gophers recently.

All that being said, he's still a hack.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

He was right. It was a one possession game with a minute or two left. That’s called almost losing. I thought Myron was better at his job than Amelia but not as good as Marcus. Shelman was the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they weren't even close to losing, seriously. There is no way they could have lost that game.

they weren't even close to losing, seriously. There is no way they could have lost that game.

Exactly.

Minnesota did not "almost lose" to Aalabama. Yes, Minnesota allowed the game to come within one possession and have their lead cut to 3 but they certainly did not "almost lose." They were nowhere close to "almost losing."

It'd be like if Alabama A&M or Concordia St. Paul were up on Duke 5-3 in the first 2 minutes. They would not be "winning," only just "leading." Two different things.

I attended the game and if your only takeaway was “Gophers nearly lose to Alabama 5 On 3” you are being lazy, taking the easy “buzz” way out. We completely outplayed Alabama for 30 minutes and it wasn’t even close. Nate was the best guard on the floor during that stretch. Murph was, well...bring Murph. Beast.
It was bizarre after that but nothing that happened in the last 10 minutes is a reflection of either squad. Bama played like mutts most of the game not gallant warriors. The Gophs were dominant and then quite honestly played like they just wanted the circus to end. Sexton went nuts and it was a crazy scene, but the real substance of the game is we beat the hell out of Alabama. I was there, that’s what I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers were classy. In retrospect, I guess they should have just had a cherry picker.

Yeah the optics were terrible for the U vs. Alabama finish. But to say the Gophers almost lost that game is a giant stretch and shows a lack of understanding of basketball.

We went into a prevent defense and a (very) slow offense. We passed up open shots and then drove the lane into the 3 defenders or pulled up for long 2-point jumpers (the worst shot in basketball). Alabama had one player making some great shots to keep it close.

That being said, Alabama never took the lead. Alabama was gassed. The Gophers were able to answer whenever Alabama got too close. Murphy was on the bench. The game was under control despite some circus plays by a very good Alabama guard. The Gophers certainly could and should have been more aggressive the last 10 minutes in order to wear them down and run up the score, but it is not like any of the Gopher players were panicking.

This situation is similar to when the Gophers kept losing all those close games a few years back. Casual fans thought the team was really close to being very good. Yet in basketball, the best team often wins close games because the other team is simply not good enough to stop offense when necessary down the stretch or step up on defense when necessary to win close games.

For the Media's sake, we should have run the score up and made Alabama look like the bad guys. I should be coaching his team :)

He was right. It was a one possession game with a minute or two left. That’s called almost losing. I thought Myron was better at his job than Amelia but not as good as Marcus. Shelman was the best.

Shelman was good but overrated. I love Marcus. Myron is a complete dweeb.

For the Media's sake, we should have run the score up and made Alabama look like the bad guys. I should be coaching his team :)

They could have just went 4 on 3 on the defensive end and left a player under the basket to get easy layups every possession. I'm sure that would have gone over well with the media.

Shelman was good but overrated. I love Marcus. Myron is a complete dweeb.

FWIW, I really liked Amelia. I think she was vastly underrated and had the bad luck of covering a bad and uninteresting squad.

Myron is awful. Marcus is good.

Yeah the optics were terrible for the U vs. Alabama finish. But to say the Gophers almost lost that game is a giant stretch and shows a lack of understanding of basketball.

We went into a prevent defense and a (very) slow offense. We passed up open shots and then drove the lane into the 3 defenders or pulled up for long 2-point jumpers (the worst shot in basketball). Alabama had one player making some great shots to keep it close.

A quick analysis of the 5 on 3 shows a different story than the "very slow offense" you depict. Here's a breakdown of every shot we took after going 5 on 3 (with what the lead was before the shot was taken):
  • 11 point lead: Made a 3 with 21 seconds left on shot clock
  • 12 point lead: Missed a 3 with 22 seconds left
  • 12 point lead: Missed a 3 with 24 seconds left
  • 10 point lead: Made a 2 with 24 seconds left
  • 12 point lead: Made a layup with 24 seconds left
  • 12 point lead: Made a 3 with 16 seconds left
  • 13 point lead: Made a 2 with 15 seconds left
  • 10 point lead: Made a layup with 15 seconds left
  • 8 point lead: Made a 2 with 9 seconds left
  • 5 point lead: Airball 2 with 16 seconds left
  • 5 point lead: Missed a 2 with 8 seconds left
  • 3 point lead: Made a layup with 26 seconds left
  • 4 point lead: Made a 2 with ?? left and sealed the deal

That doesn't seem very slow.

A quick analysis of the 5 on 3 shows a different story than the "very slow offense" you depict. Here's a breakdown of every shot we took after going 5 on 3 (with what the lead was before the shot was taken):
  • 11 point lead: Made a 3 with 21 seconds left on shot clock
  • 12 point lead: Missed a 3 with 22 seconds left
  • 12 point lead: Missed a 3 with 24 seconds left
  • 10 point lead: Made a 2 with 24 seconds left
  • 12 point lead: Made a layup with 24 seconds left
  • 12 point lead: Made a 3 with 16 seconds left
  • 13 point lead: Made a 2 with 15 seconds left
  • 10 point lead: Made a layup with 15 seconds left
  • 8 point lead: Made a 2 with 9 seconds left
  • 5 point lead: Airball 2 with 16 seconds left
  • 5 point lead: Missed a 2 with 8 seconds left
  • 3 point lead: Made a layup with 26 seconds left
  • 4 point lead: Made a 2 with ?? left and sealed the deal

That doesn't seem very slow.

did you watch the game? almost every possession was a clock killer

did you watch the game? almost every possession was a clock killer

I watched it twice. You didn’t read what I posted, did you? Almost NONE of our possessions were clock killers. Shooting a 3 with more than 20 seconds on the shot clock is not killing the clock...

Exactly.

Minnesota did not "almost lose" to Aalabama. Yes, Minnesota allowed the game to come within one possession and have their lead cut to 3 but they certainly did not "almost lose." They were nowhere close to "almost losing."

It'd be like if Alabama A&M or Concordia St. Paul were up on Duke 5-3 in the first 2 minutes. They would not be "winning," only just "leading." Two different things.

Next time we are up by three with a minute or two left I’ll leave The Barn or turn off the TV because I’ll know that we’ve allowed the other team to come close.

Next time the gophers are down by three to MSU with a minute to go, I’ll go walk the dog.

The thing I hate about sports is that it is so predictable. Nothing crazy ever happens. That’s why YouTube is such a failure.

My problem with his statement is not with whether or not we "nearly lost" to Alabama, but that he is insinuating that we are somehow contributing to the league being adrift. Our team is far from being contributors to what looks like a down year for the Big Ten. We are one of the few bright spots.

My problem with his statement is not with whether or not we "nearly lost" to Alabama, but that he is insinuating that we are somehow contributing to the league being adrift. Our team is far from being contributors to what looks like a down year for the Big Ten. We are one of the few bright spots.

Myron will never pass on a chance to take a cheap shot at the Gophers.

He recovered slightly towards the end of the Big Ten piece by stating that we have the pieces to compete against any team in America. He believes its pretty much a two team race between us and the Izzoids.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Correct. If you watched the game it was clear we were going to win even when it was a 3-point game. At any point we could have started to pass the ball down to Murphy or Lynch and put it away, we didn't. Personally, I was mad that Pitino didn't call a timeout when the lead was around 5-6 and told the team to put the hammer down until the lead was double digits and then lay off again. Just keep following that formula.

I actually came home late Saturday evening and purposely kept myself from seeing anything about the game. I hoped I could go onto Youtube and find the whole game. I did, it was fun seeing it all play out not knowing what was to happen.

FWIW, I really liked Amelia. I think she was vastly underrated and had the bad luck of covering a bad and uninteresting squad.

Myron is awful. Marcus is good.

Uninteresting is a matter of taste, but bad? Huh?

She covered some terrible Gopher teams, did she not? I guess 18-15 and 8-23 are fun, interesting and good teams to cover.

Sure, when you pick out the worst ones. I personally enjoyed the NIT runner-up and NCAA Tournament-game-winning teams that she covered, but maybe you were too busy hating Tubby's guts to enjoy those teams.

Sure, when you pick out the worst ones. I personally enjoyed the NIT runner-up and NCAA Tournament-game-winning teams that she covered, but maybe you were too busy hating Tubby's guts to enjoy those teams.

I said I liked her a lot. I also said she covered some uninteresting and bad teams. I didn't say every team she covered was terrible. You're a cranky old dude.

Top Bottom