When is the last time we had as big of a home non-conference game as we have Wed?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I can't recall a non-conference game as big as this one. It's rare that we have a Top 15 ranking in November ourselves...I think the last one was a Top 10 ranking in the early years of Tubby after we won a non-confernece tournament (it may have been the season we beat Louisville...Al Nolen dominated that game). But that Tubby team didn't have any big non-conference home games with that ranking, and they quickly fell in and eventually out of the rankings (I hope we don't see a repeat of that).

I know we had a big non-conference home game vs Georgia in the early Monson years when Michael Bauer came up big, and we had the epic OT loss to Cinci under Clem when Kyle Sanden hit a huge shot to go to OT. But I don't think we've had the combination of two top 15 teams playing a non-confernece game at The Barn in a long, long time.

Even the Final Four team wasn't a Top 15 team in November.

I can't wait.

Go Gophers!!

The Cincinnati game you cite always comes to mind. Had that baby won til Kevin Clark found a way to charge into a defender in the open court but somehow gave the ball up an instant before doing so, resulting in free throws at the other end. (The rule back then was that it was only a player-control foul if the fouler actually possessed the ball.) That sequence haunts me to this day.

The Cincinnati game you cite always comes to mind. Had that baby won til Kevin Clark found a way to charge into a defender in the open court but somehow gave the ball up an instant before doing so, resulting in free throws at the other end. (The rule back then was that it was only a player-control foul if the fouler actually possessed the ball.) That sequence haunts me to this day.

I was at that one and trying to remember the Bearcats ranking at the time?

Has Minnesota faced a top-15 level team at home in the nonconference even when they sucked or were average? In any recent memory?

I can think of many recent examples when the Gophers took on top teams early on in tournaments on neutral floors. But these sorts of games never seem to get scheduled.

His big can it be? According to ESPN, it’s not even worth a mention as there are at least 4 better games to hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't recall a non-conference game as big as this one. It's rare that we have a Top 15 ranking in November ourselves...I think the last one was a Top 10 ranking in the early years of Tubby after we won a non-confernece tournament (it may have been the season we beat Louisville...Al Nolen dominated that game). But that Tubby team didn't have any big non-conference home games with that ranking, and they quickly fell in and eventually out of the rankings (I hope we don't see a repeat of that).

I know we had a big non-conference home game vs Georgia in the early Monson years when Michael Bauer came up big, and we had the epic OT loss to Cinci under Clem when Kyle Sanden hit a huge shot to go to OT. But I don't think we've had the combination of two top 15 teams playing a non-confernece game at The Barn in a long, long time.

I can't wait.

Go Gophers!!

When they played Georgia Tech with Chris Bosh in 2002 the Barn was rocking.

His big can it be? According to ESPN, it’s not even worth a mention as there are at least 4 better games to hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenor.gif

Go Gophers!!

Who would've thought, years ago, that in the future we'd be referring to any game as "the Kyle Sanden game"??

I can't wait.

Go Gophers!!

I think you're thinking of the year we beat North Carolina and West Virginia in Puerto Rico. The year we beat Louisville we weren't that good. It was one of Tubby's first years I think.

Granted we weren't that good the year we beat North Carolina and WVU, we had a horrible big ten season after Devoe Joseph transferred.

I think you're thinking of the year we beat North Carolina and West Virginia in Puerto Rico. The year we beat Louisville we weren't that good. It was one of Tubby's first years I think.

Granted we weren't that good the year we beat North Carolina and WVU, we had a horrible big ten season after Devoe Joseph transferred.

I'm pretty sure the year we beat Louisville in Arizona was the year Al Nolan ended up getting suspended for academic reasons and it really took its toll on the team and went downhill after that.

I'm pretty sure the year we beat Louisville in Arizona was the year Al Nolan ended up getting suspended for academic reasons and it really took its toll on the team and went downhill after that.

Nolan was suspended the following year (2009-2010). Also the same year Royce White and Trevor were suspended. That was the year we beat Butler.

Those were some fun teams. It's fun to go back and look at the rosters we had. Tubby had some unfortunate luck.

I don't know about *home*, but in the '93-'94 season, we were #9 in the country going up against #6 Kansas in the semis of the preseason NIT. We lost that game, then played #1 (but now defeated) North Carolina in the 3rd-place game and lost that game also.

We dropped to #15. Kansas rose to #3 and North Carolina dropped to #4.

That was the next year, on top of all of the Mbakwe and White drama. Can't believe that team still found away to go dancing

Nolan was suspended the following year (2009-2010). Also the same year Royce White and Trevor were suspended. That was the year we beat Butler.

Those were some fun teams. It's fun to go back and look at the rosters we had. Tubby had some unfortunate luck.

Unfortunate luck and a unique ability to never have players improve under his tutelage.

Top Bottom