Class of 2015 attrition

This is one of the most ridiculous narratives out there surrounding the Gopher Football program. It is a patently false statement as a matter of fact. Jerry Kill had little to nothing to do with getting the Athletes Village built.

Guessing this is some semantics game that you’re playing, waiting to jump out of some bushes and declare “ah ha! Gotcha! That’s not the definition of ‘built’ that I was using!”

Maybe he didn’t vote at the board meeting to greenlight it. Maybe he didn’t run the bobcat that helped prep the site. Etc. But he certainly helped to plant the idea firmly into the heads of admin that the practice facilities for U of Minn football were not acceptable. At a minimum.

Guess this is some semantics game you’re playing, waiting to junk out of some bushes and declare “ah ha! Gotcha! That’s not what definition of ‘built’ that I was using!”

Maybe he didn’t vote at the board meeting to greenlight it. Maybe he didn’t run the bobcat that helped prep the site. Etc. But he certainly helped tomppant the idea firmly into the heads of admin that the practice facilities for U of Minn football were not acceptable. At a minimum.

It is not some semantics game. There is a narrative out there, perpetuated by many local media members, that Jerry Kill raised the money to build the facilities. Sure, Jerry talked about facilities to the media, but he was credited with being the driving force behind the fundraising. Which is absolutely not true.

This is one of the most ridiculous narratives out there surrounding the Gopher Football program. It is a patently false statement as a matter of fact. Jerry Kill had little to nothing to do with getting the Athletes Village built.

To guard against the possibility of the above being an equally hyperbolic statement can you give us a rundown of the movers and shakers?

It is not some semantics game. There is a narrative out there, perpetuated by many local media members, that Jerry Kill raised the money to build the facilities. Sure, Jerry talked about facilities to the media, but he was credited with being the driving force behind the fundraising. Which is absolutely not true.

Fine, I accept that. But I don’t think you can whitewash his name completely from the history of how the buildings came to be.

You mean the regime that had more success here than any other coaching staff since the 60s? The guy (Kill) who single handedly got the facilities built that will allow PJ to recruit?

Complete nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright then. I guess Kill woke up one morning and saw in the paper that U of Minn admin had decided to build a new Athletes Village, and was so shocked and elated at the sudden surprise that he back flipped all the way into the office. Yeah, that sounds right ...

Alright then. I guess Kill woke up one morning and saw in the paper that U of Minn admin had decided to build a new Athletes Village, and was so shocked and elated at the sudden surprise that he back flipped all the way into the office. Yeah, that sounds right ...

Exactly. I'm still waiting for the list of folks more instrumental in getting this started than Kill.

But we are all in agreement that Glenn Mason built the new stadium, right?

And in a semi-sarcastic question - it's my understanding that the Athletes Village project began when Norwood Teague was the AD. Now, I know he has since left in disgrace, and his name may not be mentioned - but does he deserve any credit? Just wondering out loud. I mean, he had to press a lot of flesh for the project - and he did some fund-raising, too.

Exactly. I'm still waiting for the list of folks more instrumental in getting this started than Kill.

That would be Teague of course.

I think it was ultimately his ambition and vision that got this thing started. Without him, I don't even know if we'd be past the feasibility stage of this project. We raised the first $80 million in a heartbeat under his watch.

I'd give a lot of credit to Tubby Smith too. IMO he was by far the most vocal gopher coach in terms of creating a sense of urgency with the public to get an upgrade with the facilities. He was constantly yapping about the lack of a basketball practice facility to the media and how it was paramount for him to compete in the Big Ten. I feel like most gopher fans didn't realize how important that was until Tubby started to advocate for one.

And in a semi-sarcastic question - it's my understanding that the Athletes Village project began when Norwood Teague was the AD. Now, I know he has since left in disgrace, and his name may not be mentioned - but does he deserve any credit? Just wondering out loud. I mean, he had to press a lot of flesh for the project - and he did some fund-raising, too.
He definitely deserves the most credit IMO. Highly doubt this thing would be opening this January if he wasn't our AD a few years ago.

Are you guys aware that there are more than 10,000 University of Minnesota employees and that well over 99% of them work in near-total anonymity? I could start giving you a list of names, but you would have no idea who they are and I would never do so out of respect for the previously mentioned fact. I mean, seriously - get real.

The idea that Jerry Kill had any appreciable role in getting the Athletes Village built (and that he played a key role in fundraising) is one of the more absurd and hilarious memes ever created on the 'Hole.

Are you guys aware that there are more than 10,000 University of Minnesota employees and that well over 99% of them work in near-total anonymity? I could start giving you a list of names, but you would have no idea who they are and I would never do so out of respect for the previously mentioned fact. I mean, seriously - get real.

The idea that Jerry Kill had any appreciable role in getting the Athletes Village built (and that he played a key role in fundraising) is one of the more absurd and hilarious memes ever created on the 'Hole.

Yeah, you are probably right. I have an impression that Kill did a lot to make that happen - but it may not be reality.

isn't this why he was let go? :p

That would be Teague of course.

I think it was ultimately his ambition and vision that got this thing started. Without him, I don't even know if we'd be past the feasibility stage of this project. We raised the first $80 million in a heartbeat under his watch.

I'd give a lot of credit to Tubby Smith too. IMO he was by far the most vocal gopher coach in terms of creating a sense of urgency with the public to get an upgrade with the facilities. He was constantly yapping about the lack of a basketball practice facility to the media and how it was paramount for him to compete in the Big Ten. I feel like most gopher fans didn't realize how important that was until Tubby started to advocate for one.

OK fine, nothing wrong with saying it that the Athletes Village was pushed by Teague, Tubby, and Kill.

Just wondering why you're taking it all the way in the other direction and trying to whitewash Kill's name completely from the history of how the building came to be?

appreciable role in getting the Athletes Village built

And here again the BS semantics game.

You're trying to assert, without being transparent about it, that "getting X built" actually must have a very strict and rigid definition, which must exclude anything along the lines of "planting the seed of the idea that upgrades in practice facilities were critical to the future success of the team". Even though 99% of regular people would agree that something along those lines does count as part of "getting it built".

No idea why you're push this agenda so hard. I guess it's like that Catholic saying. The mystery of internet message board posters

The tales of glory that was Jerry Kill get more and more exaggerated as time passes.

Just wondering why you're taking it all the way in the other direction and trying to whitewash Kill's name completely from the history of how the building came to be?

What makes you think that?

I have not said a singe thing, one way or the other, about Kill in this thread. This is only my second post in this entire thread, the first being the OP.

I do think his fundraising efforts were certainly helpful, just think that Teague is the #1 reason why this thing is getting built.

I have not said a singe thing, one way or the other, about Kill in this thread. This is only my second post in this entire thread, the first being the OP.

I do think his fundraising efforts were certainly helpful, just think that Teague is the #1 reason why this thing is getting built.

Apologies, I was wrong. I was thinking of a different poster.

I'm perfectly happy with the idea that Kill was not the #1 reason that it happened. But he certainly pushed the idea at the early stage, and may or may not have been important in the fundraising for it (no idea).

Apologies, I was wrong. I was thinking of a different poster.

I'm perfectly happy with the idea that Kill was not the #1 reason that it happened. But he certainly pushed the idea at the early stage, and may or may not have been important in the fundraising for it (no idea).

I agree.

A trained monkey would have raised more money than Teague. Or Goldy. I have to believe very few people donated money because they were impressed by him. More than likely they saw the need for the new facilities which was painfully obvious to just about every Gopher sports fan. Teague was a drunk, a serial sexual harasser, and kind of stupid. His hiring was the worse thing Kaler has done during his time as the U's president

A trained monkey would have raised more money than Teague. I have to believe very few people donated money because they were impressed by him. More than likely they saw the need for the new facilities which was painfully obvious to just about every Gopher sports fan. Teague was a drunk, a serial sexual harasser, and kind of stupid. His hiring was the worse thing Kaler has done during his time as the U's president

I could easily buy this.

Wonder if Kaler was sold a bill of goods that Shaka Smart would follow Teague here?

A trained monkey would have raised more money than Teague. Or Goldy. I have to believe very few people donated money because they were impressed by him. More than likely they saw the need for the new facilities which was painfully obvious to just about every Gopher sports fan. Teague was a drunk, a serial sexual harasser, and kind of stupid. His hiring was the worse thing Kaler has done during his time as the U's president

Aside from the fiasco that ended his career here, what makes you say this?

I'd say he was one of the more competent AD's we've had aside from how it ended.

Top Bottom