Who are next year’s RS Freshmen

If you are trying to build depth on the roster and taking a longer view about where the program is currently at and where you want to see it few years from now you redshirt as many as you possible can. You idea that this isn't a good way to operate a team is way off. This type of approach to program building especially in college football takes place all over the country every year.

I agree that you redshirt as many as you can. But I also think you play a kid who will help you win this year if he is the best one at the position. When a comment is made that we sacrificed this year, I have a problem with that. Especially as it pertains to the seniors in their final season at the U.

I agree that you redshirt as many as you can. But I also think you play a kid who will help you win this year if he is the best one at the position. When a comment is made that we sacrificed this year, I have a problem with that. Especially as it pertains to the seniors in their final season at the U.

I agree, I said sacrifice, the coach never has said it. He said he would not cut corners in his culture and they will win as many games as they deserve. He states that if the culture is built and followed, the wins will happen.

In a 3-9 season Kill burned Cobb's RS late and gave him 10 carries or so....I would've preferred another year of Cobb as a RS SR

So since you brought up the seniors, my position would be the seniors should be the ones playing, unless there is such a huge difference...5 star true freshman vs 2 star or something....which we know we don't have. This is how you respect the seniors in a lost season... Play them.

In a 3-9 season Kill burned Cobb's RS late and gave him 10 carries or so....I would've preferred another year of Cobb as a RS SR

and the Philip Nelson situation could have been completely different. I feel like Kill sacrificed future chances at the Big Ten West title by playing so many freshmen in year #1.

So since you brought up the seniors, my position would be the seniors should be the ones playing, unless there is such a huge difference...5 star true freshman vs 2 star or something....which we know we don't have. This is how you respect the seniors in a lost season... Play them.

The Program > Senior Class

The Program > Senior Class

That is why you DON'T play true freshmen and sacrifice the program's future. Short term thinking is one of the major things that has to change in the culture of the future!

I understand having a problem with how the season was handled. A bowl game this year was not this coach's highest priority. I myself do not have a problem with it.

You should play freshmen who can contribute, especially at skill positions.

It's not 1984.

Players arrive having spent years lifting weights, etc.

Not many players make big improvements after their third year in the program. Some do, of course.

That is why you DON'T play true freshmen and sacrifice the program's future. Short term thinking is one of the major things that has to change in the culture of the future!

We're on the same boat!

If you are always looking to the future, then you'll always be looking to the future. Deep :)
You don't know what the future holds. You do know what is happening in the present and if there are some FR that can help in the present, then you play them.
As an example. I went to a couple practices during the preseason and CAB was by far the most polished WR I saw. He could have really helped out our passing game this season.
I know he was injured during camp, which is unfortunate. I have no idea what the extent of the injury was, but if he was back to practicing at any point in time prior to the halfway point in the season, then he should have been playing.
Look at the 2015 Class attrition thread. It may not be that way every year, but each class will lose players and we have no idea which ones will be the ones to stick around for their entire time, so play the players who will help you win now.

I think this is true and I would agree with it if the program as a whole is deep with talent.

A team like Ohio State that just reloads every year, does not risk the future as much as a team like Minnesota that has to scratch for every recruit. It's a never ending cycle of mediocrity if this happens at Minnesota year after year.

A player is always going to be better their 5th year than they were their first year. (injuries and stuff like that excluded). For Minnesota to break the cycle of mediocrity, (and get wins on a regular basis) it needs to get itself into the position that it's best playing players are upper classmen.

It is always a balancing act with freshmen and the decision on whether to redshirt them or not. If you are a contender and you have a freshman that can help it makes sense to play them right away. On the flip side in our case it is unlikely that any of the freshmen would have made a massive difference in our win/loss record so you have to decide is it worth burning a year of eligibility on the chance that a guy might help boost your win total by 1 game but not put you in the hunt for a division or conference title?

The tough part with football in terms of making these decisions is that adding one player doesn't have the same impact as it would in a sport like basketball. For example, pulling the redshirt off a DB to add secondary depth isn't going to guarantee more wins. This is part of the year zero thing that has really bothered some here. In the big picture going to a bowl game this year doesn't really matter to what the staff is trying to do long term, it matters to many of the fans and players but when you are deciding what to do personnel wise at this point they are far more concerned with the future. That won't always be the case as the team is more competitive but for this year and possibly next year it may factor in more.

They played the freshmen then felt they needed to this season and held off on the others but there is no real guarantee that any of the guys they didn't play would have led to more wins this season. No point in wasting a year to possibly squeeze out a win or two at this point in their run here when the reality is that they won't be judged by the administration based on the results this season. It isn't what some of the fans want to hear but it is the reality of a coaching change more often then not.

That is interesting for a coach with such poor relationships with local coaches.

Where is this coming from? I still have some connections back in MN and thought that he was working on "closing the borders"

Where is this coming from? I still have some connections back in MN and thought that he was working on "closing the borders"

It's coming from the Claey's supporters like Gotomn that didn't like that we fired him and thus don't like Fleck.

the way you space (or don't) each line is very bizarre and hard to read.

Hypnotic is the term. You get so mesmerized, your mind cannot compute what you have just read.

Well, we have the red shirted juco Royal Silver, and transfer OJ Smith to plug in as Spoofin reminded us.

Esezi was Defensive Scout Team POY as a DL man.

We return DeLattiboudere, who is fired up to lead. We return freshman starter Nate Umlor.

T. Devers looked good as a true freshman in highlight plays.

We have Jerry Gibson, Gary Moore, Sam Renner, Novak Goar looking for an opportunity.

Plus younger guys Noah Hickcox, Boye Mafe, Malcolm Robinson, and Quinn Coughlin.

That's 14 guys who practiced last year.

Then we have the top rated Alex R. and Elijah Teague as incoming freshmen.

Plus, Abe O., Logan R. and Mayan A. freshmen ranked a shade lower.

So 5 more freshmen so far for a total of 19 guys competing on the DL so far...not counting walkons and additional additions.

Plus Coughlin played DE this year and Martin on occasion as well.

So sure, another 5 Star would be nice but we have candidates in the pipeline.

I think Paup is a good coach...these guys may become a strength.

FIFY

That is interesting for a coach with such poor relationships with local coaches.

I don't know about others, but I am really excited for the complete make over that Fleck is doing to this program. As another stated, it will be crazy that around 70 players on the roster will have never played a down for the Gophers.

I don't think Fleck will be able to Red-Shirt as many or want to next year, but the sacrifice made this year should pay off.

Kill burned 10 red-shirts his first year.

I think my issues is the out state MN areas like Detroit lakes, the St. Cloud/Cold Spring/Central MN, Duluth/Cloquet, Rochester/SE MN, etc... Are we keeping in close contact with developments there. Do the Gophers have volunteers that help pay attention to out state MN prospects?

Are the Gophers coaches scouting the MN HS football playoffs & championship? They do the summer caravan and they do sponsor the HS coaches workshops. They also have the camps.

It may be neat to schedule some camps in the out state areas for good PR and plus more kids are likely to be interested.

We are going to miss on some talent. We hear about them once they become stars for NDSU, Wiscy, etc...

It is a lot of work and commitment, but establishing working relationships with as many MN HS coaches go long way to establish good will, loyalty, and excitement & interest in Gopher Football.

Let's have a few more kids dreaming of becoming a Golden Gopher!

Gotcha....new to Gopher Hole, didn't know if it was legitimate issues or just sour grapes.

I met Claeys at a coach's clinic, and he seemed like a nice enough guy, but though he was lacking in some really important areas as far as HEAD coaching goes (which seem to be the areas where Fleck has some serious strengths).

I thought his first mistake was getting rid of Limegrover.

From the people

I think my issues is the out state MN areas like Detroit lakes, the St. Cloud/Cold Spring/Central MN, Duluth/Cloquet, Rochester/SE MN, etc... Are we keeping in close contact with developments there. Do the Gophers have volunteers that help pay attention to out state MN prospects?

Are the Gophers coaches scouting the MN HS football playoffs & championship? They do the summer caravan and they do sponsor the HS coaches workshops. They also have the camps.

It may be neat to schedule some camps in the out state areas for good PR and plus more kids are likely to be interested.

We are going to miss on some talent. We hear about them once they become stars for NDSU, Wiscy, etc...

I'm sure there are better ways. There are some NCAA rules about some of the appearances they can make in season.

I would want the HS kids to come to campus for camps to take in the whole tour and facilities. However, I agree youth camps for Middle school and younger around the state would be cool.

This class has 5 MN kids and two are out-state.
Last year it was 5 total and 1 out-state.

It's a two way street. For example Burns stated on KFAN today that the QB from Marshall is a B1G athlete. However, he wants to be a QB and is going to NDSU instead.

Gotcha....new to Gopher Hole, didn't know if it was legitimate issues or just sour grapes.

I met Claeys at a coach's clinic, and he seemed like a nice enough guy, but though he was lacking in some really important areas as far as HEAD coaching goes (which seem to be the areas where Fleck has some serious strengths).

I thought his first mistake was getting rid of Limegrover.

From the people

That statement may get you a few enemies here :p

I think my issues is the out state MN areas like Detroit lakes, the St. Cloud/Cold Spring/Central MN, Duluth/Cloquet, Rochester/SE MN, etc...

I think previous coaching staffs have done a pretty solid job of looking at and getting Outstate players.

Last I checked, two of the 5 kids committed this year are from outstate

Richter - Perham
Spann-Ford - St. Cloud tech

There are quite a few kids currently on the squad from outstate
Stelter - Owatanna
Annexstad - St. Peter
Andries - Marshall
Olsen - Monticello
McElfresh - Brainerd
Jordahl - Perham
Hmielewski - Marshall
Roste - Alexandria

That was year 2. Kill only played 5 Freshman his first year and one of them was Cobb with the 10 carries. Kill did had the same mentality as Fleck did this year.

Year #1 2011
Olson, Cobb, Goodger, Crawford-Tufts, Levine, Ced. Thompson, Shortell, Wells, Jones, Amaefula

Year #1 2011
Olson, Cobb, Goodger, Crawford-Tufts, Levine, Ced. Thompson, Shortell, Wells, Jones, Amaefula

Yeah I missed a few of those, my bad. Saw the Nelson comment and knew he wasn’t year 1.

I think previous coaching staffs have done a pretty solid job of looking at and getting Outstate players.

Last I checked, two of the 5 kids committed this year are from outstate

Richter - Perham
Spann-Ford - St. Cloud tech

There are quite a few kids currently on the squad from outstate
Stelter - Owatanna
Annexstad - St. Peter
Andries - Marshall
Olsen - Monticello
McElfresh - Brainerd
Jordahl - Perham
Hmielewski - Marshall
Roste - Alexandria

Jerry Kill was a true country boy at heart. He paid attention to out state MN & listened to HS coaches. Isn't there a HS coaches workshop every year at the U?

He re-invigorated interest in Gopher Football in out state MN. I hope that PJ Fleck continues. He has his own style. I think out state football camps for middle school students, etc... would be a really cool thing.

We need to continue and establish that sense of community with the whole state when it comes to Gopher Athletics.

I think Wisconsin being the only big show in the state other than the Packers - the entire state of Wisconsin identifies with and have lots of interest in the football, basketball, and hockey teams.

Top Bottom