Who are next year’s RS Freshmen

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
If someone has that list that would be great. Are there impact players in that crew?

55 Rousemiller, Eric OL 6-4 310 FR Lakeville, Minn. (Lakeville South)
50 Anderson, Danny LB 6-0 212 FR Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie HS)
3 Autman-Bell, Chris WR 6-1 193 FR Kankakee, Ill. (Bishop McNamara HS)
98 Witherspoon, Clayton TE 6-4 235 FR Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie HS)
23 Beck, Adam DB 6-2 185 FR Richmond, Texas (George Ranch HS)
83 Van Dyne, Harry WR 6-5 185 FR Stilwell, Kan. (Blue Valley HS)
63 Bursch, Nathan OL 6-5 255 FR Woodbury, Minn. (Woodbury HS)
87 Umlor, Nate DL 6-5 269 FR Allendale, Mich. (Allendale HS)
40 Strazzanti, Alex DB 6-2 194 FR Chaska, Minn. (Chaska HS)
60 Schmitz, John Michael OL 6-4 286 FR Flossmoor, Ill. (Homewood-Flossmoor HS)
94 Coughlin, Quinn DL 6-3 238 FR Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie HS)
75 Sassack, Kyle OL 6-7 283 FR Pontiac, Mich. (Notre Dame Prep HS)
30 Santaga, Jon DB 6-1 192 FR Green Bay, Wis. (Notre Dame De La Baie Academy)
33 Ryerse, Grant K / P 6-2 203 FR Woodbury, Minn. (East Ridge HS)
33 Delich, Mike RB 5-11 217 FR Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview HS)
57 Russell, Joe LB 6-2 194 FR Shoreview, Minn. (Totino-Grace HS)
82 Douglas, Demetrius WR 6-0 181 FR Portland, Ore. (Jesuit HS)
65 Ruschmeyer, Axel OL 6-4 281 FR Hutchinson, Minn. (Holy Family Catholic HS)
81 Annexstad, Brock WR 6-2 198 FR Norseland, Minn. (IMG Academy)
17 Estes, Rey DB 6-0 163 FR East St. Louis, Ill. (East St. Louis HS)
14 Roste, Jaran QB 6-3 234 FR Alexandria, Minn. (Alexandria HS)
44 Fuller, Tommy DB 5-10 190 FR Eden Prairie, Minn. (Eden Prairie HS)
75 Robinson, Malcolm DL 6-3 290 FR Massillon, Ohio (Washington HS)
19 Pickerign, Samuel QB 6-4 224 FR Alpharetta, Ga. (Minnehaha Academy)
49 Paulson, Jake TE 6-4 258 FR Louisville, Ky. (Christian Academy)
5 Guthrie, Trenton LB 6-3 217 FR Northville, Mich. (Northville HS)
7 Handy-Holly, Ken DB 6-2 202 FR Jackson, Ala. (Jackson HS)
95 Otomewo, Esezi DL 6-6 240 FR Indianapolis, Ind. (Ben Davis HS)
26 Harris, Justus DB 5-10 174 FR Roswell, Ga. (Roswell HS)
91 Hickcox, Noah DL 6-4 280 FR Rockford, Ill. (Boylan Central Catholic HS)
36 O'Brien, Casey H 6-1 176 FR Saint Paul, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
13 Morgan, Tanner QB 6-2 205 FR Union, Ky. (Ryle HS)
30 Ibrahim, Mohamed RB 5-10 205 FR Olney, Md. (Our Lady of Good Counsel HS)
69 Mafe, Boye DL 6-4 232 FR Minnetonka, Minn. (Hopkins HS)
77 Andries, Blaise OL 6-5 313 FR Marshall, Minn. (Marshall HS)
31 London, Dominik RB 5-9 200 FR Woodbury, Minn. (East Ridge HS)

Umlor, Handy Holly, and Harris, I believe played. Douglas gets a medical red shirt. So he and the rest will be red shirt freshmen. Pretty close if not 100% accurate guys? So 33 of 36 guys.

Umlor, Handy Holly, and Harris, I believe played. Douglas gets a medical red shirt. So he and the rest will be red shirt freshmen. Pretty close if not 100% accurate guys? So 33 of 36 guys.

How much did Douglas play? Will he for sure get the medical redshirt?

Esezi Otomewo plays DL and was Scout Team Defensive Player of the Year FR
Mo Ibrahim RB was Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year

Everybody says Autman-Bell was special before he got hurt.
Blaise Andries hopefully is ready to fill an offensive line hole
Ray Estes flirted all season with playing DB...don't believe he hit the field yet?

How much did Douglas play? Will he for sure get the medical redshirt?

Somewhere was a thread guaranteeing he was a lock to receive one. I think it made sense he qualified.

All things considered with injuries and depth issues... it is pretty impressive that only 3 guys burned their redshirt. I really do like that Fleck will have 5 years with most of this class to develop them into great players.

Having such a large number of redshirts will also help develop depth at all positions after 2 or 3 classes like this. Future looks bright, hope this class can make an impact!

So add 10 walkons to 28 scholarships...that's 38 incoming new guys...maybe a couple are JC guys. If the 36 Freshman stay in the program that's 74 Freshman/RSFR/the 3 FR who played, maybe take away a couple incoming Jucos. Interesting to see how many of the 36 lose a spot or will we have 70-74 of 120? That would be getting younger.
And the answer to my own question...there is room. We only have 45 Sophomores and Juniors and some of those are leaving.

Interesting note: 4 of the Freshman are from Eden Prairie.

Thanks ... interesting...hopefully a better year next year.

Also, we have Royal Silver (DT) and Ben Davis (OL) JuCos & Chris Williamson (DB) and OJ Smith (DL) transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, we have Royal Silver (DT) and Ben Davis (OL) JuCos & Chris Williamson (DB) and OJ Smith (DL) transfers.

I don't know #WeMightBeAheadofScheduleNowGoGophers

JUCO OLs will help.

I'd like to see another DT.

How are we on DL depth? We lose Merrick Jackson, Steve Richardson, and Andrew Stelter. I hope none decide to graduate early or transfer.

JUCO OLs will help.

How are we on DL depth? We lose Merrick Jackson, Steve Richardson, and Andrew Stelter. I hope none decide to graduate early or transfer.

Well, we have the red shirted juco Royal Silver, and transfer OJ Smith to plug in as Spoofin reminded us. Esezi was Defensive Scout Team POY as a DL man.
We return DeLattiboudere, who is fired up to lead. We return freshman starter Nate Umlor.
T. Devers looked good as a true freshman in highlight plays.
We have Jerry Gibson, Gary Moore, Sam Renner, Novak Goar looking for an opportunity.
Plus younger guys Noah Hickcox, Boye Mafe, Malcolm Robinson, and Quinn Coughlin.
That's 14 guys who practiced last year.
Then we have the top rated Alex R. and Elijah Teague as incoming freshmen.
Plus, Abe O., Logan R. and Mayan A. freshmen ranked a shade lower.
So 5 more freshmen so far for a total of 19 guys competing on the DL so far...not counting walkons and additional additions.
Plus Coughlin played DE this year and Martin on occasion as well.
So sure, another 5 Star would be nice but we have candidates in the pipeline.
I think Paup is a good coach...these guys may become a strength.

JUCO OLs will help.

Not certain, but I believe GM19 was the only risk for graduating early & leaving from the DL. He didn't walk with the seniors, so that would be a good sign.

Not certain, but I believe GM19 was the only risk for graduating early & leaving from the DL. He didn't walk with the seniors, so that would be a good sign.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Jerry Gibson move on either.

He will be in his fifth year next year. He doesn't play much. There seem to be a couple additional young DE's that will jump him on the depth chart.

So add 10 walkons to 28 scholarships...that's 38 incoming new guys...maybe a couple are JC guys. If the 36 Freshman stay in the program that's 74 Freshman/RSFR/the 3 FR who played, maybe take away a couple incoming Jucos. Interesting to see how many of the 36 lose a spot or will we have 70-74 of 120? That would be getting younger.
And the answer to my own question...there is room. We only have 45 Sophomores and Juniors and some of those are leaving.

Interesting note: 4 of the Freshman are from Eden Prairie.

That is interesting for a coach with such poor relationships with local coaches.

I don't know about others, but I am really excited for the complete make over that Fleck is doing to this program. As another stated, it will be crazy that around 70 players on the roster will have never played a down for the Gophers.

I don't think Fleck will be able to Red-Shirt as many or want to next year, but the sacrifice made this year should pay off.

Kill burned 10 red-shirts his first year.

That is interesting for a coach with such poor relationships with local coaches.

I don't know about others, but I am really excited for the complete make over that Fleck is doing to this program. As another stated, it will be crazy that around 70 players on the roster will have never played a down for the Gophers.

I don't think Fleck will be able to Red-Shirt as many or want to next year, but the sacrifice made this year should pay off.

Kill burned 10 red-shirts his first year.

I'm sure the Srs. this year were appreciative of the sacrifice and not making a bowl game.

I'm sure the Srs. this year were appreciative of the sacrifice and not making a bowl game.

I think that is a HS mentality. This is division 1 college football. They are prepared and mature enough to understand what they are part of.

Having 4 kids from EP is no more proof PJ has good relationships with local coaches than a random poster saying otherwise is proof he doesn't.

Having 4 kids from EP is no more proof PJ has good relationships with local coaches than a random poster saying otherwise is proof he doesn't.

It was sarcasm, I have no clue what his relationship is with the coaches. If guys are good enough they will get offered by Fleck.

We'll see what happens with the 2019 class.

I think that is a HS mentality. This is division 1 college football. They are prepared and mature enough to understand what they are part of.

Nope.
You are right this is D1 college football and the goal, every single season, should be to put the best team you can on the field and do what you can to win each and every game.
Holding redshirts because you want to save them for when you might be better isn't a good way to operate a team - in any college sport.

Well, we have the red shirted juco Royal Silver, and transfer OJ Smith to plug in as Spoofin reminded us. Esezi was Defensive Scout Team POY as a DL man.
We return DeLattiboudere, who is fired up to lead. We return freshman starter Nate Umlor.
T. Devers looked good as a true freshman in highlight plays.
We have Jerry Gibson, Gary Moore, Sam Renner, Novak Goar looking for an opportunity.
Plus younger guys Noah Hickcox, Boye Mafe, Malcolm Robinson, and Quinn Coughlin.
That's 14 guys who practiced last year.
Then we have the top rated Alex R. and Elijah Teague as incoming freshmen.
Plus, Abe O., Logan R. and Mayan A. freshmen ranked a shade lower.
So 5 more freshmen so far for a total of 19 guys competing on the DL so far...not counting walkons and additional additions.
Plus Coughlin played DE this year and Martin on occasion as well.
So sure, another 5 Star would be nice but we have candidates in the pipeline.
I think Paup is a good coach...these guys may become a strength.

the way you space (or don't) each line is very bizarre and hard to read.

Nope.
You are right this is D1 college football and the goal, every single season, should be to put the best team you can on the field and do what you can to win each and every game.
Holding redshirts because you want to save them for when you might be better isn't a good way to operate a team - in any college sport.

Have you watched the last 8 + coaches at this University?

Nope.

If the goal of every coach was just to create the best team possible for the next game then surely they would never redshirt anyone. By redshirting ANY freshman a coach acknowledges that they are making the current team slightly worse to benefit the future. I bet Rodney Smith would have been net positive contributor in 2014 but I am really glad he still has a year of eligibility left.

It was sarcasm, I have no clue what his relationship is with the coaches. If guys are good enough they will get offered by Fleck.

We'll see what happens with the 2019 class.

What do the first two sentences have to do with each other?

There aren't any HS coaches that would expect Fleck to offer a kid who wasn't good enough.

Nope.

If you are trying to build depth on the roster and taking a longer view about where the program is currently at and where you want to see it few years from now you redshirt as many as you possible can. You idea that this isn't a good way to operate a team is way off. This type of approach to program building especially in college football takes place all over the country every year.

If you are trying to build depth on the roster and taking a longer view about where the program is currently at and where you want to see it few years from now you redshirt as many as you possible can. You idea that this isn't a good way to operate a team is way off. This type of approach to program building especially in college football takes place all over the country every year.

+1

Andries, Bell, Estes, Hickox, etc. will all be better players in 2021 than they would have been last year.

I don't think it's the absolute end of the world if you have to pull a RS, but what PJ did this year with RS most of that class made a lot of sense.

Top Bottom