All things 2017 ACC/B1G Ten challenge thread

Happ looks like the strain of carrying that team is starting to wear on him. He didn't have a great game tonight and looked flustered a few times. Brad Davison is literally their second best player right now, and that's not a good thing.

Their trap got Happ a couple of times.

On at least 2 occasions ESPN showed the screen shot of the 4 "notable matchups". Gophers-Miami nowhere to be found. At the very worst -- if you take out brand names (which ESPN won't allow itself to do) -- Gophers-Miami the 2nd-best matchup behind Sparty-Notre Dame. Duke-Indiana is one of the worst team pairings in the whole thing.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hard times at ESPN. Not enough staff to do the research.

We're those just the 4 games on ESPN? Are we on ESPN2? Still dumb, but I'm thinking they were just hyping the games on the flagship network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This. Although it should say "notable games on ESPN"

On at least 2 occasions ESPN showed the screen shot of the 4 "notable matchups". Gophers-Miami nowhere to be found. At the very worst -- if you take out brand names (which ESPN won't allow itself to do) -- Gophers-Miami the 2nd-best matchup behind Sparty-Notre Dame. Duke-Indiana is one of the worst team pairings in the whole thing.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ESPN likes Louisville.

Remaining Schedule:

Tuesday, Nov. 28th:

Northwestern at Georgia Tech - 7:00 -- ESPN2
Florida State at Rutgers - 7:00 -- ESPNU
#17 Louisville at Purdue - 8:00 -- ESPN
Iowa at Virginia Tech - 9:00 -- ESPN2
Illinois at Wake Forest - 9:00 -- ESPNU

Wednesday, Nov. 29th:

Clemson at Ohio State - 7:15 -- ESPN2
Penn State at North Carolina State - 7:15 -- ESPNU
Michigan at #13 North Carolina - 7:30 -- ESPN
#10 Miami at #12 Minnesota - 9:15 -- ESPN2
Boston College at Nebraska - 9:15 -- ESPNU
#1 Duke at Indiana - 9:30 -- ESPN

Thursday, Nov. 30th:

#5 Notre Dame at #3 Michigan State - 7:00 -- ESPN

*All Times Eastern

Am I the first to mention that the game tomorrow night is on ESPN2 and that’s why it is not getting marketed as much as those other games, which are on ESPN’s flagship channel

Am I the first to mention that the game tomorrow night is on ESPN2 and that’s why it is not getting marketed as much as those other games, which are on ESPN’s flagship channel

No, you're not.

Both the games tomorrow night look like they will be non competitive. But frankly, that's what ESPN deserves for giving IU a 2nd home game and pairing them up against Duke when there were better options, most notably the Gophers.

Both the games tomorrow night look like they will be non competitive. But frankly, that's what ESPN deserves for giving IU a 2nd home game and pairing them up against Duke when there were better options, most notably the Gophers.

Unfortunately, big ten appears to be down this year. If Gophers were playing Duke (as they should be), who would play Miami?

Poor Northwestern relegated down to Ga. Tech.

Unfortunately, big ten appears to be down this year. If Gophers were playing Duke (as they should be), who would play Miami?

That's a good question, and I certainly don't know. The B1G stinks this year(only 2 ranked teams), so at least we are playing what is probably a top 4/5 ACC team. The Gophers seem to be pretty clearly a top 2 B1G team. We should be playing Duke or ND given the scenario. Miami appears to the 4th/5th best in the ACC. Given they are a road team this year the best match up for them would have probably been Purdue. But it really comes down to there not enough good B1G teams that are hosting. After us, Michigan State, and Purdue, the rest of the hosting teams are projected to finish as the four worst teams(Rutgers, Nebraska, Ohio State, Indiana). I seriously feel bad for a team like FSU. A #3 seed last year, having to go on the road to play the worst team in the B1G. It's a lose/lose situation. They'll get no credit for a win, and get destroyed if they somehow manage to lose. Plus they probably figured they'd at least be playing a top half B1G team, so their overall OOC SOS is going to take a hit.

Remaining Schedule:

Tuesday, Nov. 28th:

Northwestern at Georgia Tech - 7:00 -- ESPN2
Florida State at Rutgers - 7:00 -- ESPNU
#17 Louisville at Purdue - 8:00 -- ESPN
Iowa at Virginia Tech - 9:00 -- ESPN2
Illinois at Wake Forest - 9:00 -- ESPNU

Wednesday, Nov. 29th:

Clemson at Ohio State - 7:15 -- ESPN2
Penn State at North Carolina State - 7:15 -- ESPNU
Michigan at #13 North Carolina - 7:30 -- ESPN
#10 Miami at #12 Minnesota - 9:15 -- ESPN2
Boston College at Nebraska - 9:15 -- ESPNU
#1 Duke at Indiana - 9:30 -- ESPN

Thursday, Nov. 30th:

#5 Notre Dame at #3 Michigan State - 7:00 -- ESPN

*All Times Eastern

FIFY

Northwestern falls to GT at the buzzer

too bad we don't play any of the high-profile big ten teams in December.. I'd rather play Northwestern and Wisconsin than Rutgers and Nebraska right now

Virginia did not attempt a free-throw last night. wisconsin was 4-7. A total of 24 fouls were called.

Iowa getting shellacked right now, 60-41. B1G is just so there for the taking this year.

I get that MN and Miami are not the big names in college basketball but it's crazy to me how little ESPN is promoting the second best matchup of the challenge.

Illinois down 10 to a bad Wake Forest team. This is a nightmare showing for the B1G

Illinois down 10 to a bad Wake Forest team. This is a nightmare showing for the B1G

I'm usually all about cheering for the B1G teams (except Wisconsin), but now that we are getting better, I don't think it's such a bad thing for the other teams in the conference to suck for a year or two. Lets us get firmly entrenched near the top of the conference, and then the circular aspect of recruiting (good teams get good players) starts to work in our favor.

I'm usually all about cheering for the B1G teams (except Wisconsin), but now that we are getting better, I don't think it's such a bad thing for the other teams in the conference to suck for a year or two. Lets us get firmly entrenched near the top of the conference, and then the circular aspect of recruiting (good teams get good players) starts to work in our favor.
This.

I read a lot of the other teams’ forums (mostly the free Rivals boards) and I know this might sound petty but I say screw the other B1G teams. Everyone of them was salivating the Gophers-Bama game. Some even saying that the Gophers must be awful because of it.

Jokes on them. We got a #12 in front of our name and a good, young coach who knows how to recruit. These teams are scared and I say screw them

I feel the same way. I won't apologize if we win the conference in a down year.

Taking a second look at our conference schedule, I would say it looks more favorable than it did before the season. We get Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Purdue twice each, and our lone matchup with Sparty is at home. With the exception of Nebraska who was expected to be bad, you could argue that all of those teams look worse than expected. Purdue is probably still a solid team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get ranked again, but Iowa was supposed to have a decent shot at the tournament, Northwestern was ranked and now has 3 losses, Wisconsin has lost all their games against decent opponents, and Maryland and Michigan are probably decent but a step below us.

If the conference is down for a bit, it could provide a great opportunity to establish ourselves at the top for a few years and prove last season wasn't a flash in the pan, and maybe have enough success that Pitino doesn't see other pastures as being much greener than the one he's already in.

Top Bottom