Will you be dead before the axe comes back to Minnesota?

Will you be dead before the axe comes back to Minnesota?

• Yes, I will be dead before the axe comes back to Minnesota

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • No, Minnesota will be Wisconsin before I die

Votes: 63 77.8%

• Total voters

The one thing that everyone seems to be forgetting is that Donna Shalala was the president of Wisconsin when BA was hired. She gave him a carte blache as to admissions -marginal students were admitted, can you say Ron Dyne,, recruiting budget, pay to assistants, etc.. obviously he was successful and created the buzz saw we now know Becky football. Interestingly, she moved to Miami and did the same thing there. No President has the guts to back off this program. Yes, I am saying some marginal students can go to Wisconsin but not to the U. And yes they must followed the same Big Ten standards as the U but somehow bypass those standards. Talk to anyone in the admissions office and they will tell you names competing for Becky who were denied admission to the U. Happens all the time.

To pile on, since I enjoy piling on to a post as ignorant as this one, your "admission office" pals may tell you this, but objective outside observers do not. One of the reasons Jason Wilcox became head coach at Cal-Berkeley was because they knew he could work in an environment of high admission standards. But, don't take my word for it - read this article from the San Jose Mercury News.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/...line-on-justin-wilcoxs-resume-wisconsin-2016/

In case your attention span does not allow you to read the entire article, I will quote the most pertinent part:

In the summer of 2015, the Badgers denied admission to the top prospect in their freshman class, running back Jordan Stevenson. The reported reason: He didn’t meet Wisconsin’s admissions requirements.

“It resonated with me,” Pezman said. “With our admissions, certain kids are not going to be successful here.”

Nor was Stevenson an isolated case for the Badgers. In the deeply-wired world of college football administration — Pezman’s world — it was well known that Wisconsin periodically denied admission to prospects who would clear the bar at many powerhouse programs.

The parallel: 80 percent of Cal freshmen must have a high school grade-point average of 3.0 or better.

“A lot of places sell their soul; Wisconsin doesn’t do that,’’ Pezman said. “There was a correlation for some of the things we face here.’’

The one thing that everyone seems to be forgetting is that Donna Shalala was the president of Wisconsin when BA was hired. She gave him a carte blache as to admissions -marginal students were admitted, can you say Ron Dyne,, recruiting budget, pay to assistants, etc.. obviously he was successful and created the buzz saw we now know Becky football. Interestingly, she moved to Miami and did the same thing there. No President has the guts to back off this program. Yes, I am saying some marginal students can go to Wisconsin but not to the U. And yes they must followed the same Big Ten standards as the U but somehow bypass those standards. Talk to anyone in the admissions office and they will tell you names competing for Becky who were denied admission to the U. Happens all the time.

I'd rather have higher admission standards than a winning football team. STUDENT-athlete.

I'd rather have higher admission standards than a winning football team. STUDENT-athlete.

Luckily, Wisconsin has both. Quoting research done by a Buckyville poster:

Let's go back and look at APR over the last 5 years. UW was in the top 5 in the nation 4 of the last 5 years (just missed in the most recent rankings with a still stellar 990). Minnesota has been in the top 5 twice. They have had a higher APR score than UW only once during that time frame, in 2015-2016. By a whopping 992 to 990.

Bottom line: Minnesota has had a really good APR the last two years. But, as with just about everything, this is another area that UW is just better. Of course you have to account for wins during that period as well. There, UW is also top 5 in the nation. Minnesota is . . . not.

It's fine to root for your team, get excited about the future, and cheer on your fans, but to use arguments that can easily be refuted with actual facts kind of defeats the purpose.

27.....yes.....the Axe will be back at some point. Hopefully before I'm 30.

Luckily, Wisconsin has both. Quoting research done by a Buckyville poster:

It's fine to root for your team, get excited about the future, and cheer on your fans, but to use arguments that can easily be refuted with actual facts kind of defeats the purpose.

To be fair, APR is not a measure of admissions. But I do believe that Wisconsin likely does not have lower standards on admissions than the U.

College football is big time entertainment. Nothing more. I could not care less if they bring in a bunch of illiterates that read at a level less than my five year old if it means winning games. It's a terribly corrupt and unfair system (to the players), accept it for what it is. The notion of the "student athlete" is a joke at the level of big time college football.

Just get tired of a few Gophers fans making the rest of us look silly.

Skunk fans look silly on their own. It is widely known that you are the trash of the conference. You are an embarrassment.

Level playing field. Just ask some GH folks.

College football is big time entertainment. Nothing more. I could not care less if they bring in a bunch of illiterates that read at a level less than my five year old if it means winning games. It's a terribly corrupt and unfair system (to the players), accept it for what it is. The notion of the "student athlete" is a joke at the level of big time college football.

Watch the NFL, sounds like it's much more up your alley.

I mean I suppose I could get hit by a car at any moment and die. I think we win in 2019 or 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom