QB Vic Viramontes commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Riverside Community College (Calif.) quarterback Vic Viramontes has committed to the Gophers.

Viramontes, a coveted recruit out of high school initially committed to Michigan, but decided to play as a freshman at California.
After a short stint with the Golden Bears, he transferred to Riverside Community College. He passed for 1,868 yards and tallied 22 total touchdowns this season. Viramontes is a dual-threat quarterback with impressive elusiveness and vision to make plays with his legs. Outside the pocket, he can extend plays with his legs, but keeps his eyes up the field to find options down the field. Viramontes isn’t a major pocket style player, but is very capable of making all the throws in this system. He is decisive and confident as a player, which is important. Viramontes visited campus this weekend and is a player head coach P.J. Fleck and his staff were heavily recruiting. Viramontes will likely compete with redshirt freshman Tanner Morgan for the starting nod next season. A source of mine who has worked closely with Viramontes calls him a "complete baller" and "playmaker."

Well awright!!!
Welcome Vic.

This is like the fourth thread we have going now on Vic committing.

It's nice that Vic has committed. Unless PJ can promise wide outs who can get separation, this commitment is really meaningless without someone to catch the ball in space. Outside of Johnson, no one on campus fits the bill. Sad

It's nice that Vic has committed. Unless PJ can promise wide outs who can get separation, this commitment is really meaningless without someone to catch the ball in space. Outside of Johnson, no one on campus fits the bill. Sad

Well, he's a dual threat QB, so maybe he can run if no one gets open.

I'm going to consider Vic a Mitch Leidner v2.0 and maybe he'll be a pleasant surprise passing that standard if someone can get open.

We still need a #2 QB for next year. If Annexstad gets in for spring practice it could be him.

Have you seen the freshman and redshirt freshman play?

No pithy GIF, no snarky quip, just me..............very happy.;)
And that's a freakin' great name for a QB too!
Get the Axe before i die!!

His top two WR were QBs less than 2 years ago, as was Mark Williams. Douglas was a Frosh, and frosh receivers suck, almost by rule.

Tyler learns exceptionally fast, and that is why he is where he is in only his 2nd season. Everyone else will get better simply because they won't have to think as much during play. Moreover, the RS FR have a few decent WR included. They won't be starting from scrath in that department as our top two were.

Given the sad state of the WR corps this season, I think most people will be surprised by the improvement. I bet they credit Fleck as a genius for it. The reality is we will see a marked improvement, just given the nature of the experience curve (the economic theory). Hopefully Fleck will be able to add to that himself.

Moreover, if the line is better, which it should be for similar reasons, I think that will have a multiplier effect on the WR improvement.

Finally, the QB was changing systems. Demry was obviously recruited for the ball control offense. He'd have excelled there. A QB who's strengths could have made up for the the WRs will also have a multiplier effect.

I think things will be much better, even without considering coaching.

If Vic is what he is advertised as, everything on offense will look better including play calling.

Given the sad state of the WR corps this season, I think most people will be surprised by the improvement. I bet they credit Fleck as a genius for it. The reality is we will see a marked improvement, just given the nature of the experience curve (the economic theory). Hopefully Fleck will be able to add to that himself.

You're only looking at the WRs who finished the season.

The reality is that Tyler Johnson should be the only one of those guys who sees meaningful snaps at WR next season....maybe Philip Howard. I fully expect Johnson (and maybe Howard) to be joined by Autman-Bell, Douglas, VanDyne and at least one of the incoming freshmen as the WR rotation.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom