Gophers receive Juco QB commitment

We like JUCOs now? I thought they were the bane of college football programs? Doesn't this mean we'll be worse in the long-run?

In all seriousness, I'm exited about this kid. Looks legit. However, Ill reserve some judgement until I see what he can do here. ESPN had McClaurin rated the #1 JUCO dual threat in the country and he barely made it a week (yeah, yeah "this is different," etc. - we'll see).

We like JUCOs now? I thought they were the bane of college football programs? Doesn't this mean we'll be worse in the long-run?

In all seriousness, I'm exited about this kid. Looks legit. However, Ill reserve some judgement until I see what he can do here. ESPN had McClaurin rated the #1 JUCO dual threat in the country and he barely made it a week (yeah, yeah "this is different," etc. - we'll see).

Well, if nothing else, this kid is definitely bigger and stronger.

In fact, I've rarely (if ever) seen a quarterback more built than this kid.

Good lord, he's a physical specimen. If he can be the guy next year, so much the better.

there's your problem.

He'll fit right in. He has the Scandinavian look.

ESPN had McClaurin rated the #1 JUCO dual threat in the country and he barely made it a week (yeah, yeah "this is different," etc. - we'll see).
That's nice, but Gophers fans only care about where ESPN had McLaurin....

Like many others, really happy with this news. Always thought we'd beat Kansas for Vic, but when Ole Miss offered, I started to worry other suiters would jump in. I've become cautious with my optimism based on watching player's videos. Having said that, Vic was playing against college age kids (vs HS videos we usually see), his arm strength looks real good, and his running instincts are very impressive. Lastly, the video was quite long for just one year at RCC, so, it wasn't just a handful of great plays. It was A LOT of great plays.

By the way, Ole Miss' Jordan Ta'amu was a highly rated JC recruit, and he turned out quite well for the Rebels this year. Let's hope they are correct on Vic!

JC players are always a crap shoot but hopefully between him and Morgan one of them will step up and take the reigns next season on offense.

Obviously this changes perspectives from a few hours ago, but are y'all a little more positive about next year now?

JG -

You follow this stuff closer than I do. Any chance Spann-Ford becomes a DE? His highlight tape is real impressive from that side of the ball and I'm a little worried he might not be a perfect fit for what PJ likes (liked?) to do. He might not be fast enough for WR and he used TEs more as blockers.

I loved Spann-Ford's film at DE. He could be really good there. But I don't think that's the current plan as we have 2-3 DE's in this class already (Reigelsperger, Okonji and possibly Ahanotu).

We tried to split Wozniak out at times this year, so I think that is KC's plan for how to occasionally mix Tight Ends in the offense. It didn't work well with Woz, but I could see it being effective with Spann-Ford and Paulson. I think Spann-Ford has pretty good speed and linebackers will be hard pressed to keep up with him. Plus he has outstanding hands from what I saw on film.

I've seen a few different weights listed.

-Riverside CC listed him at 230 this season.
-Rivals listed him at 216, but who knows when that's from....
-Cal listed him at 240 when he signed, but that was 22 months ago.

Yeah, 220 221. Whatever it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally, some good news! He's big and fast and seems from the tapes to have a strong arm. If he's eligible for three years, as some say, that makes it even better. Maybe, as some here suspect, that was the real reason for Croft leaving. We'll know a lot more when Vic plays his first few 1A games next fall. We still need a strong back-up: look at Maryland and Michigan this year.

OK, time for some contrast.

Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it's a big jump from JUCO to the B1G. Let's try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against B1G competition. Maybe he'll be a huge contributor from Day 1 - but maybe he'll require some time to adjust to a higher level of competition.

I just want people to consider this - if everyone puts all their hopes on this kid, and he struggles out of the gate, there will be Gopher Hole members jumping off the Washington Avenue bridge.

I went on line and read a couple of scouting reports. the ones I read said his running ability is more polished than his passing game. Again, before we put up a statue and declare this kid as the savior of the program, how about if we wait and actually watch him play a couple of games 1st.

This goes back to the same old thing that bugs the bleep out of me. A player commits to the U, or signs a LOI, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every write-up from Daniel House makes the player sound like a 1st-ballot hall of fame candidate. And, in reality, most of the players in question do not live up to the hype.

So, before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let's see what happens.

It's like someone sets you up on a blind date. Do you show up with an engagement ring in your pocket? No. At the very least, you want to see what she looks like. I want to see what this guy looks like on the field against D1-level competition. I don't think that's being unrealistic.

Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it's a big jump from JUCO to the B1G. Let's try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against B1G competition. Maybe he'll be a huge contributor from Day 1 - but maybe he'll require some time to adjust to a higher level of competition.

I just want people to consider this - if everyone puts all their hopes on this kid, and he struggles out of the gate, there will be Gopher Hole members jumping off the Washington Avenue bridge.

I went on line and read a couple of scouting reports. the ones I read said his running ability is more polished than his passing game. Again, before we put up a statue and declare this kid as the savior of the program, how about if we wait and actually watch him play a couple of games 1st.

This goes back to the same old thing that bugs the bleep out of me. A player commits to the U, or signs a LOI, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every write-up from Daniel House makes the player sound like a 1st-ballot hall of fame candidate. And, in reality, most of the players in question do not live up to the hype.

So, before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let's see what happens.

It's like someone sets you up on a blind date. Do you show up with an engagement ring in your pocket? No. At the very least, you want to see what she looks like. I want to see what this guy looks like on the field against D1-level competition. I don't think that's being unrealistic.

Who has said anything about national titles and victory parades?

If he can even bring half of what this video shows the Gophers got a great pick up

Lighten up, Francis.

Dude ... you sound like a Norwegian. (Oh, wait, you are one.)
We've just been through one of the worst seasons ever and we have been really down since watching Croft vs. Wisconsin. This kid is really going to be good. I can't believe his tape. He even played defense in high school and looks like he could play there in the BIG. BUT, he is too good at QB. He is the best QB we have recruited since Mike Hohensee (also a Cali Juco QB). He is going to turn this program around. Great instincts, quick thinker, good vision, strong arm, great runner, can catch touchdowns, he can do it all. Way to go PJ!!!!

Not willing to say we got lucky, but our O has the QB it needs to turn the corner and get good. A good pick up, not a lucky one. Add some OL and we will be fine.

Not willing to say we got lucky, but our O has the QB it needs to turn the corner and get good. A good pick up, not a lucky one. Add some OL and we will be fine.

+08

It's nice to think that we may have a decent QB starting for the team next year. Not to mention.....one that fits Fleck's system.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Is sure must be dreary, dark and cold living in your world, golem. Do you just go around kicking sleeping homeless people for fun in your spare time...lol
Of course he hasn’t proven that he can play at that level in the B1G, but he sure looks to be more of the real deal than any of the other recent QB recruits. We can get excited, that is part being a college fan. Optimism about the annual reload of players is what gives fans hope.

Is sure must be dreary, dark and cold living in your world, golem. Do you just go around kicking sleeping homeless people for fun in your spare time...lol
Of course he hasn’t proven that he can play at that level in the B1G, but he sure looks to be more of the real deal than any of the other recent QB recruits. We can get excited, that is part being a college fan. Optimism about the annual reload of players is what gives fans hope.

Ah, but as you’re taking a header off the Washington Ave bridge next fall after VV has a rough outing, you’ll remember Short Ornery Norwegians post and kick yourself for not listening.

Cuz, you know, then you’d still be alive.

Top Bottom