Gophers receive Juco QB commitment

I remembered Mitch Leidner having that foot injury that required eventual surgery. He played hurt when he shouldn't have without complain mind you.

Maybe they'll be more creative in their offensive schemes that will minimize his chances of bad injuries. The threat of a run by a QB his size is enough to keep defenses on their toes. He can throw pretty decent ball and like someone said, he has glimpses of a JT Barrett.

The question is can he sustain that amount of running and avoid injuries? There will be lots of salivating DBs just waiting to put the wood on him.

My worry, too, which is always the case with running QBs. A running back can be replaced, but a QB carries so much of the leadership/offensive load that losing one changes the equation (especially at Minnesota).

The question is can he sustain that amount of running and avoid injuries? There will be lots of salivating DBs just waiting to put the wood on him.

They have to catch him first

He did outrun several DBs on several of those highlights, taken with a grain of salt being JUCO but still did outrun those that are supposed to be the fastest on the team.

He liked what he saw, especially from Fleck.

“I love the energy. I love how he’s a young coach,’’ Viramontes said. “How demanding he is, I kind of like that in a coach. … They keep you on your toes and keep you a better man on and off the field.

I guess it's ok afterall to be a "snake-oil salesman", as long as the players buy into it.

I guess it's ok afterall to be a "snake-oil salesman", as long as the players buy into it.

Really don't think his message is snake like. He's very consistent and direct. You know what you are getting before he even walks in the door. The guys is an open book.

He did outrun several DBs on several of those highlights, <b>taken with a grain of salt being JUCO </b>but still did outrun those that are supposed to be the fastest on the team.

Yep. I saw an Iowa TE flat outrun one of our DBs this year for a long TD. That's a whole different issue tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a huge fan of the slogans that PJ throws around nonstop. I love his energy and enthusiasm though. Calling him a "snake-oil salesman" is implying he is committing some sort of deception. Agree or disagree with his football philosophies, there is no evidence of him trying to deceive players or fans.

Really don't think his message is snake like. He's very consistent and direct. You know what you are getting before he even walks in the door. The guys is an open book.

I totally agree with you. My comment was directed to all the senseless comments equating him to that of a snake oil salesman or Brewster 2.0. In the long run, it doesn't make any difference if I, you or the man in the moon believes in his spiel. The only thing that matters is if the recruits and players believe in it.

Vic is our starter next barring anything extreme. I see Green and Morgan as backups and Anexestad as a RS (I think Anexestad has potential to be great)

On Anexestad, I saw video from his Mankato days and his arm strength has improved quite impressively since then. Some of the throws he made at IMG caught me by surprise and is nothing Mitch Leidner could do.

They are 9-2, they market themselves well, and they have a solid fan base. The U has none of those things.

Wasn't talking about this year. They still get on their knees at every possibility moment whether they are over or under .500

Greg Coleman giving his pre-game prayer, sermon, or whatever before every game? Get the F out of here.

Wasn't talking about this year. They still get on their knees at every possibility moment whether they are over or under .500

Greg Coleman giving his pre-game prayer, sermon, or whatever before every game? Get the F out of here.
Don't be an idiot. It's nothing against Gopher athletics, but Vikings bring way more money to KFAN than Gophers.

I'm so amused by the Vikings/NFL hatred on this board. Can't be a fan of both college and pro football I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’m with with you Unregistered User. My interest in the Vikings has decreased in the past ten years. The stadium, the Wilfs and Kfan (the culture around PA which has been good for the Vikes but annoys the crap out of me)are all part of it.

I remembered Mitch Leidner having that foot injury that required eventual surgery. He played hurt when he shouldn't have without complain mind you.

Maybe they'll be more creative in their offensive schemes that will minimize his chances of bad injuries. The threat of a run by a QB his size is enough to keep defenses on their toes. He can throw pretty decent ball and like someone said, he has glimpses of a JT Barrett.

Probably led to many, if not most, of the "Bad Mitch" performances too.

Probably led to many, if not most, of the "Bad Mitch" performances too.

I may be getting senile but pretty sure he played on the bad wheel in 2015 (and I believe he was originally hurt vs TCU in 2014) and had off-season surgery prior to 2016. Ironically he was a significantly better passer in 2015 than 2016 despite a much tougher schedule. He was so hot and cold as a QB.

Because the Vikings know how to market themselves and inform the media about what's going on and they have a great fanbase.

The pre-game preach is horrible.

I'm so amused by the Vikings/NFL hatred on this board. Can't be a fan of both college and pro football I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Isn't OK to be a fan of one and not the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW - caught a little bit of Glen Mason on the Dan Barreiro show today. I am not making this up. Mason said he had watched Vic V's highlight tape, and he compared him to Mitch Leidner - or, as Mason put it, the "good" Mitch Leidner, based on the idea of a good running QB who can be an adequate passer. Mason also made the point that he did not put any stock in highlight tapes when recruiting. He said he would never sign a kid based on a highlight tape.

Now, admittedly, I only caught a small part of the interview. There might have been something earlier that put Mason's comments in a different context. But that is what he said when I was listening.

FWIW - caught a little bit of Glen Mason on the Dan Barreiro show today. I am not making this up. Mason said he had watched Vic V's highlight tape, and he compared him to Mitch Leidner - or, as Mason put it, the "good" Mitch Leidner, based on the idea of a good running QB who can be an adequate passer. Mason also made the point that he did not put any stock in highlight tapes when recruiting. He said he would never sign a kid based on a highlight tape.

Now, admittedly, I only caught a small part of the interview. There might have been something earlier that put Mason's comments in a different context. But that is what he said when I was listening.

Big kid. Strong. Can run. That all makes sense.

So the question becomes, can he throw better and more consistently than Leidner.

Oh, and I'm a fan of the Vikings, but less and less each year, although they are hooking me again this season.

His film does look really good. Looks a lot quicker than Demry running the option. I haven't seen his profile, I know he was picking between Ole Miss, us, and Kansas, but who else offered or were interested? Seems with his high school interest and that tape there would had been a hoard of teams needing his services.

There's a good and bad version of nearly every QB. Usually they come and go with the opposing defenses.

Based on the highlight tape, VV is a very different runner than Mitch. Mitch basically ran through or over people, whereas VV's tape shows him running around them. VV looks much more mobile, whereas Mitch was more of a bruser.

You guys can analyze and talk about his performance in JUCO to death. I'm waiting for spring ball, to see what happens.

Leidner alone wasn't the problem. It was the combination with the offensive playcalling and the receivers around him that was the bigger issue.

I am a fan of all Minnesota teams whether the teams are good or not so good

Based on the highlight tape, VV is a very different runner than Mitch. Mitch basically ran through or over people, whereas VV's tape shows him running around them. VV looks much more mobile, whereas Mitch was more of a bruser.
Mitch made very good reads on the read option. That helped.

Top Bottom