Gophers receive Juco QB commitment

This is great news to wake up to. Takes some of the sting off those last 2 games.

When does spring practice start?!?!?

Since we're dealing with extreme reactions, perhaps we should only be angry and pessimistic every time someone commits to our favorite squad.

Good gravy, man! We just signed a highly rated recruit to the most important position on the field! Why is it not permitted to show enthusiasm on a fan website after filling a position of extreme need?

I also think we can rest easy about anyone driving off a bridge. We've learned to live with disappointment. Please stop trying to ruin our moments of excitement and optimism.

POLLYANNA!!!
Ski-U-Mah!!!

Ah, but as you’re taking a header off the Washington Ave bridge next fall after VV has a rough outing, you’ll remember Short Ornery Norwegians post and kick yourself for not listening.

Cuz, you know, then you’d still be alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it's possible that he could see any rougher outings than some of the ones this year so alchemy2u will be fine.

Sounds like Viramontes will enroll in January which is also great news.

I'm not sure it's possible that he could see any rougher outings than some of the ones this year so alchemy2u will be fine.

We lost a lot of good posters during Leidner’s tenure and after the Northwestern debacle MPD has been on high alert for single middle aged men in Gophers gear who’ve been reported missing.

But we all know where they are....at the bottom of the Mississippi.

Douglas certainly has promise, but he showed next to nothing before getting hurt this season.

He had 11 catches through 3 games. Not world beater numbers but not bad for a true freshman. He certainly looked the part before he got hurt and should be a nice option in the passing game next year.

That is the reason why you'd want players red shirted.

The jump from high school to college can be over whelming for most kids. They may be stars in HS, but they suddenly realize that there are players that are far superior in talent and development than them. This is culture shock 101.

Play him too soon, and you can ruin or shake the confidence of a player.

Is sure must be dreary, dark and cold living in your world, golem. Do you just go around kicking sleeping homeless people for fun in your spare time...lol
Of course he hasn’t proven that he can play at that level in the B1G, but he sure looks to be more of the real deal than any of the other recent QB recruits. We can get excited, that is part being a college fan. Optimism about the annual reload of players is what gives fans hope.

Good humor. and your spot on, at least now we can look to next year w/ some optimism.

OK, time for some contrast.

Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it's a big jump from JUCO to the B1G. Let's try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against B1G competition. Maybe he'll be a huge contributor from Day 1 - but maybe he'll require some time to adjust to a higher level of competition.

I just want people to consider this - if everyone puts all their hopes on this kid, and he struggles out of the gate, there will be Gopher Hole members jumping off the Washington Avenue bridge.

I went on line and read a couple of scouting reports. the ones I read said his running ability is more polished than his passing game. Again, before we put up a statue and declare this kid as the savior of the program, how about if we wait and actually watch him play a couple of games 1st.

This goes back to the same old thing that bugs the bleep out of me. A player commits to the U, or signs a LOI, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every write-up from Daniel House makes the player sound like a 1st-ballot hall of fame candidate. And, in reality, most of the players in question do not live up to the hype.

So, before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let's see what happens.

It's like someone sets you up on a blind date. Do you show up with an engagement ring in your pocket? No. At the very least, you want to see what she looks like. I want to see what this guy looks like on the field against D1-level competition. I don't think that's being unrealistic.

I am particularly excited about this because he isn't coming from high school. He is coming from JUCO where the leap to D1 isn't a leap at all. It is all college football, right? The best part is we don't even need to see him play against B1G competition because we know exactly what we have here - and that is all-B1G quality QB.

It is easy to put all my hopes on this kid without even giving it a second thought. It is nice to see that everyone else on this thread agrees with me that he is the savior of the program. Is "Savior Of The Program" too long to put on the back of his jersey? I won't consider any other possibilities because JUCO players ALWAYS work out. Everybody knows that. Thank God for Hudl, because we no longer need to watch these players play a game or two before we can know this stuff.

Question: When is a player eligible for the HoF? This kid is first ballot, and that is what everyone is saying exactly in this thread. I know the band can't march on university nowadays but considering the win level we are going to see under this HoF QB, perhaps we can at least apply for the permit now and let it be known that this is a special victory parade.

Actually, the more I type this stuff I am starting to second guess myself. If only there was a voice of reason, you know, a sort of enlightened father figure that could properly temper my excitement. I wish this board had such a person. Someone smarter than the rest of us that could step in and point a few things out and settle us down when we get unreasonable. Ahhhh F it, ROSE BOWL, BABY!!

He had 11 catches through 3 games. Not world beater numbers but not bad for a true freshman. He certainly looked the part before he got hurt and should be a nice option in the passing game next year.

Did Douglas get a medical redshirt?

This goes back to the same old thing that bugs the bleep out of me. A player commits to the U, or signs a LOI, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every write-up from Daniel House makes the player sound like a 1st-ballot hall of fame candidate. And, in reality, most of the players in question do not live up to the hype.

So, before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let's see what happens.

It's like someone sets you up on a blind date. Do you show up with an engagement ring in your pocket? No. At the very least, you want to see what she looks like. I want to see what this guy looks like on the field against D1-level competition. I don't think that's being unrealistic.

People get excited to go on dates too in hopes he or she will be "the one". No different than a player committing to the program (especially a highly ranked QB). People are hopeful, optimistic, etc.

OK, time for some contrast.

Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it's a big jump from JUCO to the B1G. Let's try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against B1G competition. Maybe he'll be a huge contributor from Day 1 - but maybe he'll require some time to adjust to a higher level of competition.

I just want people to consider this - if everyone puts all their hopes on this kid, and he struggles out of the gate, there will be Gopher Hole members jumping off the Washington Avenue bridge.

I went on line and read a couple of scouting reports. the ones I read said his running ability is more polished than his passing game. Again, before we put up a statue and declare this kid as the savior of the program, how about if we wait and actually watch him play a couple of games 1st.

Year 1 complete.

Need Year 2 and 3 to go bad so that they fire the coach I don't like. The key continues to be bad QB play. So while others may be excited about the QB helping the Gophers out, I am cheering for this kid to be a JUCO miss, so that the goal of firing Fleck stays on track.

Did I miss anything?

We lost a lot of good posters during Leidner’s tenure and after the Northwestern debacle MPD has been on high alert for single middle aged men in Gophers gear who’ve been reported missing.

But we all know where they are....at the bottom of the Mississippi.

It really is amazing that we have any posters left after so many have been lost to always-above-average humidity, polar bear stabbings, and Washington Ave bridge suicides.

Sounds like Viramontes will enroll in January which is also great news.

I was about to ask if we knew if he was enrolling early. Any solid sources? Would be awesome if he could be on campus to start S&C and to participate in spring ball.

So do we have a December Signing Ice Cream Social now where all these great gets sign on the dotted line?

I am particularly excited about this because he isn't coming from high school. He is coming from JUCO where the leap to D1 isn't a leap at all. It is all college football, right? The best part is we don't even need to see him play against B1G competition because we know exactly what we have here - and that is all-B1G quality QB.

It is easy to put all my hopes on this kid without even giving it a second thought. It is nice to see that everyone else on this thread agrees with me that he is the savior of the program. Is "Savior Of The Program" too long to put on the back of his jersey? I won't consider any other possibilities because JUCO players ALWAYS work out. Everybody knows that. Thank God for Hudl, because we no longer need to watch these players play a game or two before we can know this stuff.

Question: When is a player eligible for the HoF? This kid is first ballot, and that is what everyone is saying exactly in this thread. I know the band can't march on university nowadays but considering the win level we are going to see under this HoF QB, perhaps we can at least apply for the permit now and let it be known that this is a special victory parade.

Actually, the more I type this stuff I am starting to second guess myself. If only there was a voice of reason, you know, a sort of enlightened father figure that could properly temper my excitement. I wish this board had such a person. Someone smarter than the rest of us that could step in and point a few things out and settle us down when we get unreasonable. Ahhhh F it, ROSE BOWL, BABY!!

Lol, classic

I thought he mentioned somewhere that he is done with JC in December. Hopefully, he can make it to the December 8 massive OV engagement.

Otherwise, we may be seeing him in January if he in fact is finished with JC.

I thought he mentioned somewhere that he is done with JC in December. Hopefully, he can make it to the December 8 massive OV engagement.

Otherwise, we may be seeing him in January if he in fact is finished with JC.

He will be an early enrollee and practicing in the spring

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think he tweeted the same about Neb and Tanner Lee last year. Could be mistaken though.

It really is amazing that we have any posters left after so many have been lost to always-above-average humidity, polar bear stabbings, and Washington Ave bridge suicides.

You forgot to mention the one in jail for stabbing a guy in the eye socket with a chair leg.

Dilly Bars for everyone!

i

go ahead, make fun of me all you want. Last time I checked, this was still a free country and people have a right to have a different opinion.

Yes, I understand people are looking for positives after a disappointing season.

Maybe this kid will walk right into a B1G school and play great from day one. That would be great. i just want to see him play against D1 opponents and form my own opinion about how good he is.

I realize I have a different point of view on this. I put very little stock in highlight tapes. by definition, a highlight tape is a tape showing the players' best performances. They can be misleading. If I put together a tape of every interception this guy threw, I could make him look like the worst QB in the world. And that would be equally misleading.

How many times in the past have I seen people on this board raving about some kid's highlight tape - and then that kid doesn't live up to the promise indicated on the tape?

I guess I am just a skeptic at heart when it comes to recruits. when everyone starts shouting "this kid is going to be great," my first reaction is to think, 'not so fast. let's wait and see.'

If you expect a new bike for Christmas, and you get underwear, you're going to be disappointed.

go ahead, make fun of me all you want. Last time I checked, this was still a free country and people have a right to have a different opinion.

Yes, I understand people are looking for positives after a disappointing season.

Maybe this kid will walk right into a B1G school and play great from day one. That would be great. i just want to see him play against D1 opponents and form my own opinion about how good he is.

I realize I have a different point of view on this. I put very little stock in highlight tapes. by definition, a highlight tape is a tape showing the players' best performances. They can be misleading. If I put together a tape of every interception this guy threw, I could make him look like the worst QB in the world. And that would be equally misleading.

How many times in the past have I seen people on this board raving about some kid's highlight tape - and then that kid doesn't live up to the promise indicated on the tape?

I guess I am just a skeptic at heart when it comes to recruits. when everyone starts shouting "this kid is going to be great," my first reaction is to think, 'not so fast. let's wait and see.'

If you expect a new bike for Christmas, and you get underwear, you're going to be disappointed.

Ordinarily, I would agree with most of your expectation-tempering comments. However, in this case, the bar was set so unbelievably low by Mr. Croft in 2017, it is difficult to not be at least somewhat excited about our new commit. I would be shocked if neither Vic nor the 2018 version of Tanner Morgan aren't markedly better than what Croft was able to do this year.

That is why I'm reasonably excited for this new signing!! Welcome Vic!!!

He may not deliver the Gophers to the promised land, but he already saved the program from having to QB spring camp with a JUGS machine.

Ordinarily, I would agree with most of your expectation-tempering comments. However, in this case, the bar was set so unbelievably low by Mr. Croft in 2017, it is difficult to not be at least somewhat excited about our new commit. I would be shocked if neither Vic nor the 2018 version of Tanner Morgan aren't markedly better than what Croft was able to do this year.

That is why I'm reasonably excited for this new signing!! Welcome Vic!!!

Many people said the same thing about Leidner - "the 2017 QB play couldn't possibly be worse." Many have found out that, though Leidner wasn't great, he certainly wasn't terrible either. It can almost always be worse.

Top Bottom