Gophers receive Juco QB commitment

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

What he can or cannot do in Fleck's system, and as far as winning games...i won't pretend to be able to predicate from the game tapes. What i can say though, is that VV certainly moves much more confidently and decisively than I recall of Demry at any point in time (highlights or lowlights). Seems to be very little hesitation in anything he does, and his throws are inarguably much, much more crisp than what we've seen around here from any recent Gopher QB.

Does it worry anyone at all that he doesn't "look" like a QB? His arms are massive. He looks like a linebacker.

Does it worry anyone at all that he doesn't "look" like a QB? His arms are massive. He looks like a linebacker.

No, I'm too busy envisioning the score on ESPN running up like a slot machine for the Gophers!

go ahead, make fun of me all you want. Last time I checked, this was still a free country and people have a right to have a different opinion.

Yes, I understand people are looking for positives after a disappointing season.

Maybe this kid will walk right into a B1G school and play great from day one. That would be great. i just want to see him play against D1 opponents and form my own opinion about how good he is.

I realize I have a different point of view on this. I put very little stock in highlight tapes. by definition, a highlight tape is a tape showing the players' best performances. They can be misleading. If I put together a tape of every interception this guy threw, I could make him look like the worst QB in the world. And that would be equally misleading.

How many times in the past have I seen people on this board raving about some kid's highlight tape - and then that kid doesn't live up to the promise indicated on the tape?

I guess I am just a skeptic at heart when it comes to recruits. when everyone starts shouting "this kid is going to be great," my first reaction is to think, 'not so fast. let's wait and see.'

If you expect a new bike for Christmas, and you get underwear, you're going to be disappointed.

Before the news that he was coming here, we were looking down the barrel of starting the season without a QB on the team that had taken a live snap post high school. Well...I guess Seth Green took a couple and handed off, but still. I don't think the we just got Mike Vick II, but I feel like we have a much better option. And for that, I am excited.

They brought this up on the KFAN morning show and the commentary was as follows:

*Literal fart noise*

"That'll work" (sarcastically) - /end commentary

-

This was after they spent the previous day pooping on Demry Croft and Gopher Footbball in general. It's so hard to get people to be fans of the program when the media either ignores, doesn't understand, or makes fun of Gopher Football on a regular basis

He had 11 catches through 3 games. Not world beater numbers but not bad for a true freshman. He certainly looked the part before he got hurt and should be a nice option in the passing game next year.

And every time he took a hit I cringed. Not surprised he was injured. Physically he looked like a HS player compared to others. The kid needs to bulk up and get stronger which I hope will happen during his rehab.

Dude ... you sound like a Norwegian. (Oh, wait, you are one.)
We've just been through one of the worst seasons ever and we have been really down since watching Croft vs. Wisconsin. This kid is really going to be good. I can't believe his tape. He even played defense in high school and looks like he could play there in the BIG. BUT, he is too good at QB. He is the best QB we have recruited since Mike Hohensee (also a Cali Juco QB). He is going to turn this program around. Great instincts, quick thinker, good vision, strong arm, great runner, can catch touchdowns, he can do it all. Way to go PJ!!!!

Wow Halsey. What insight you must have!

VV is like Fleck. New to the BIG and the huge challenges it presents.

Nothing comes easy in the BIG, especially at Minnesota. Nothing. Success is not a given. This is a hard lesson that long time Gophers fans like me have learned.

Sure we all hope that Fleck and VV are the answer. But don't put down those who would rather let it all play out before building statues and shrines.

..... so you’re saying this guy is as talented a football thrower as Tebow .... ?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

OK, so not super well-spoken or comfortable in front of a mic.

But man, that dude is seriously jacked. Wow.

They brought this up on the KFAN morning show and the commentary was as follows:

*Literal fart noise*

"That'll work" (sarcastically) - /end commentary

-

This was after they spent the previous day pooping on Demry Croft and Gopher Footbball in general. It's so hard to get people to be fans of the program when the media either ignores, doesn't understand, or makes fun of Gopher Football on a regular basis

Like the Twins, we need to go back to WCCO.

OK, so not super well-spoken or comfortable in front of a mic.

But man, that dude is seriously jacked. Wow.

“Yeah, I talked to the running back, I don’t know his name, but he was MVP.” Hilarious

You forgot to mention the one in jail for stabbing a guy in the eye socket with a chair leg.

Is that part of The Bit Of Broken Chair Trophy?

Hey, where is it anyway? I don't recall the Gophers taking possession of it.

go ahead, make fun of me all you want. Last time I checked, this was still a free country and people have a right to have a different opinion.

Yes, I understand people are looking for positives after a disappointing season.

Maybe this kid will walk right into a B1G school and play great from day one. That would be great. i just want to see him play against D1 opponents and form my own opinion about how good he is.

I realize I have a different point of view on this. I put very little stock in highlight tapes. by definition, a highlight tape is a tape showing the players' best performances. They can be misleading. If I put together a tape of every interception this guy threw, I could make him look like the worst QB in the world. And that would be equally misleading.

How many times in the past have I seen people on this board raving about some kid's highlight tape - and then that kid doesn't live up to the promise indicated on the tape?

I guess I am just a skeptic at heart when it comes to recruits. when everyone starts shouting "this kid is going to be great," my first reaction is to think, 'not so fast. let's wait and see.'

If you expect a new bike for Christmas, and you get underwear, you're going to be disappointed.

Spot on Shorty. Time will tell.

We have heard all this hype many times in the past. Hayo, Jeff Jones, numerous WR's, etc.............

Everyone recruit is one thing and one thing only: a paper tiger.

OK, time for some contrast.

Look, I hope this kid is as good as some of you believe he is. But, it's a big jump from JUCO to the B1G. Let's try to temper expectations until we actually see this kid play against B1G competition. Maybe he'll be a huge contributor from Day 1 - but maybe he'll require some time to adjust to a higher level of competition.

I just want people to consider this - if everyone puts all their hopes on this kid, and he struggles out of the gate, there will be Gopher Hole members jumping off the Washington Avenue bridge.

I went on line and read a couple of scouting reports. the ones I read said his running ability is more polished than his passing game. Again, before we put up a statue and declare this kid as the savior of the program, how about if we wait and actually watch him play a couple of games 1st.

This goes back to the same old thing that bugs the bleep out of me. A player commits to the U, or signs a LOI, and everyone gushes about what a great player the U has landed. Every write-up from Daniel House makes the player sound like a 1st-ballot hall of fame candidate. And, in reality, most of the players in question do not live up to the hype.

So, before you start filing a permit application for the victory parade, let's see what happens.

It's like someone sets you up on a blind date. Do you show up with an engagement ring in your pocket? No. At the very least, you want to see what she looks like. I want to see what this guy looks like on the field against D1-level competition. I don't think that's being unrealistic.

SON,

You always bring a contrarian point of view, which certainly has some validity to it.

1. It is certainly less of a jump from JUCO to Power 5 football than the leap from high school, agreed?

2. I certainly don't put all my hope in VV, however isn't he the highest rated QB we have signed in a very long time? If Gopher Holers haven't already jumped off the Washington Ave bridge, I doubt anything this kid does will prompt them to do so.

3. Not a savior, just a kid with some real talent to help out the QB position. I hope their will be a great battle for that position and we develop a little depth.

4. Agreed to your point about over-hyping. Seems like this is typically a fans problem and nobody can live to some of the hype these guys get.

5. This is nothing like a blind date as we have gotten to see the physical attributes of Vic on tape, albeit his highlights.

6. Lastly, thank you for all your contributions to Gopher Hole. I for one appreciate your passion if not your optimism. I do enjoy your posts whether I agree or disagree and appreciate your opinions.

If we can get Hank Bachmeier to commit with the Gophers next year, will we be starting a Cali pipeline of sorts?

The media does not exist to prop up the local teams, the Gophers must do a BETTER job of marketing themselves. How can anyone in the media give warm fuzzies from a JUCO QB that has shown nothing? "Pooping" on Croft and the Gophers was well deserved, they were both awful this season.

Spot on Shorty. Time will tell.

We have heard all this hype many times in the past. Hayo, Jeff Jones, numerous WR's, etc.............

Everyone recruit is one thing and one thing only: a paper tiger.

Here's to hoping this ones got the "growl" to back it up.

per Randy:

From Whittier, Calif., on Saturday night, to Dinkytown on Sunday and back to Riverside, Calif., on Monday night, Vic Viramontes had a whirlwind 56 hours.

“Busy day, busy week,’’ he said Tuesday, sounding not tired but excited.

Viramontes, a junior college quarterback from Riverside City College, verbally committed to the Gophers and coach P.J. Fleck on Monday. He has shut down his recruiting, will enroll at Minnesota in January and will compete for the starting quarterback job beginning in spring practice.

“I wanted a school where I could come in and compete for the job, get to show the coaching staff what I could do, and just a fair opportunity,’’ said Viramontes, who is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 1 dual-threat QB at the junior college level in the 2018 recruiting class. “That’s all I want.’’

“I just love playing football,’’ he said. “Whatever the defense gives me, I take.’’

Sunday’s arrival in Minneapolis was Viramontes’ first time in Minnesota. He spent time with Fleck and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, and met a handful of players, including running back Rodney Smith and defensive end Carter Coughlin. He liked what he saw, especially from Fleck.

“I love the energy. I love how he’s a young coach,’’ Viramontes said. “How demanding he is, I kind of like that in a coach. … They keep you on your toes and keep you a better man on and off the field.’’

http://m.startribune.com/new-gopher...nse-gives-me-i-take/460653973/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

Well, I checked his hudl video (he updated his video about 25 minutes before I arrived). One thing is for sure: this guy is athletic. It’s not surprising he was recruited as a defensive player. Loves contact, hard to bring down. As a QB and particularly as a runner he reminds me, dare I say it, of JT Barrett. Check out the sweet spin move at 7:07 in the video below. That’s pretty incredible. He moves really, really well for someone in the 230-240 range.

As a passer, hard to really tell much as he had a clean pocket and an eternity to throw on about 95 percent of those clips which definitely won’t be the case here. He seemed to either throw to the primary read or tuck and run. So, difficult to say how he’ll do vs Big Ten defenses but that’s what the coaches get paid big bucks for. He did look off the safeties at times, and seems to have sufficient arm strength although it’s not as effortless as some IMO. His ability to create seems to be really special.

All in all, an intriguing QB if he can put it all together.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4042376/59cab8f066560b1c3095bca4' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pretty amazing how one's fan spirits can change in just 48 hours.

Already looking forward to next season and this one isn't over yet...at least for 64 or so other D1 programs.

Football. Gotta love it.

The question is can he sustain that amount of running and avoid injuries? There will be lots of salivating DBs just waiting to put the wood on him.

The question is can he sustain that amount of running and avoid injuries? There will be lots of salivating DBs just waiting to put the wood on him.

That’s always a big question and it’s very likely he’ll get hurt but OTOH he’s thicker and stouter than 100% of DBs and most linebackers. He might do ok. His agility is another plus for missing the straight up train wrecks less athletic QBs (see Rhoda, Conor), get themselves into.

Top Bottom