Gophers receive Juco QB commitment

per Greder:

After committing to Michigan, redshirting at Cal and then transferring to Riverside, how much drive do you have to prove you can play at this level?

Just going through all of that and then going back to being a juco guy and not being on scholarship and not getting the things that a Division I player would get, it gave me the drive to get back out and earn that scholarship again.

Walk me through your initial recruiting process and what happened with Michigan?

I’m blessed to have gotten offers out of high school. I have Pac-12 schools, Big Ten. I had quite a bit, so I’m honored to do that.

I committed to Michigan. I thought that was the right fit with coach (Jim) Harbaugh. The energy, I loved everything about the program, but Cal offered me and that was the last trip I took. With my family, we decided that was the best opportunity at that time.

Did Michigan want you to play quarterback? Was a possible position switch a part of your decision?

No, they wanted me to play quarterback, coach Harbaugh said. It’s just that I thought I had a better opportunity at Cal. (That’s what) me and my family thought. Jared Goff was leaving (and is now with Los Angeles Rams), so we thought that was better opportunity. Michigan is a very high academic school as well, but Cal is also a good academic school. … It seemed like a win-win with whatever decision I made at the time

What impressed you during your visit to the Gophers?

I live like 45 minutes from L.A., so the city is similar. Not as crowded as L.A. … Being around the facilities (the new indoor practice facility at the Larson Football Performance Center). It was not even fully done yet, and it was just jaw-dropping, so I liked that.

Tell me about your tattoos.

I have half a sleeve (a lion head on his left arm) and a cross on my back. Being a kid, always growing up watching the animal channel, I like how lions are so close to their pack and how they hunt in a pack. I like that mentality that they bring. It sticks out to me.

The cross must signify your religious beliefs.

Yeah, that is the thing that I liked about coach Fleck as well. ‘Row the Boat’ is a very spiritual thing, the way he explained it.

Are we going to see your long hair flowing out of the helmet next fall?

Yes, sir. (Laughs.) That’s the plan.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/0...ramontes-bringing-fire-tats-and-lots-of-hair/

Go Gophers!!

He kind of reminds me of Dak Prescott. Both big guys with deceptive speed.

He looks like Thor. He'll fit right in Nordic Country.

The Gopher helmet should have Vikings horn emblem on both sides.

I feel like Fleck knew, told Demry and Demry decided to transfer. Could just be a coincidence but PJ isn’t a dumb guy. He knows what he needs to win. That does not include Demry at QB

Oh boy how things change in just a matter of a few months.

Oh boy how things change in just a matter of a few months.

Yeah, haven't seen many Dak Prescott comparisons today.

I have, however, seen that Viramontes transferring makes him "the tool of the year" (credit Mr. Les "the tool" Bolstad, you'll have to ask him what that means, exactly). I've seen unsubstantiated rumors thrown around that he's being forced to leave because he's too stupid to pass classes at the U.

Funny, though, no more NFL QB comparisons, or claims that Fleck is jettisoning incumbent QBs because Viramontes is that good.

Also, no disparagement of the coaching staff for an inability to recruit a QB. If we're going to get on Claeys for leaving the team devoid of QBs after one recruiting class, isn't it only fair that we get after Fleck, who is working on his third?

Sweet! Takes some of the sting away from the season and horrendous QB play. This guy has the tools to start from day 1. A good friend/coach in Cali went to a few of his games this year and thinks he's the real deal and perfect fit for our offense.

Yeah, haven't seen many Dak Prescott comparisons today.

I have, however, seen that Viramontes transferring makes him "the tool of the year" (credit Mr. Les "the tool" Bolstad, you'll have to ask him what that means, exactly). I've seen unsubstantiated rumors thrown around that he's being forced to leave because he's too stupid to pass classes at the U.

Funny, though, no more NFL QB comparisons, or claims that Fleck is jettisoning incumbent QBs because Viramontes is that good.

Also, no disparagement of the coaching staff for an inability to recruit a QB. If we're going to get on Claeys for leaving the team devoid of QBs after one recruiting class, isn't it only fair that we get after Fleck, who is working on his third?

This stuff is too funny.

Fleck has had one full class and 3 weeks to put together another. He recruited Morgan and Annexstad. What if they both turn out to be good QBs? Why would you disparage that?

SON was skeptical, and everyone jumped all over him. Turned out he was right

SON was skeptical, and everyone jumped all over him. Turned out he was right

SON is skeptical about everything! Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish Vic nothing but the best wherever he lands. It's tough watching a kid walk away from the team for whatever the reason.

If it is just a position change, I wish he had stayed.

per RandBall:

The Gophers' Vic Viramontes leaves no lasting impression

Three thoughts from the weekend in sports:

1 The latest confirmation that the seduction of possibility often leads a harsh reality in sports arrives this weekend with the news that quarterback prospect Vic Viramontes is transferring from the Gophers football program.

Even by the standards of Minnesota sports — and particularly Gophers football and especially that program’s star-crossed QB history — this love affair was brief and unsatisfying.

Viramontes enrolled in January as a highly touted junior college transfer and was the presumed front-runner in a quarterback battle thin on experience. A few months later, he was clearly third-string and reportedly on his way back to California to be a linebacker.

Chalk it up as a recruiting miss on P.J. Fleck’s part, but more so as a lesson learned for those of us who continue to buy into the hype before a real down, inning, period or quarter are played.

We will have more chances this month to temper our enthusiasm when the Twins (on Monday) as well as the Wild and Wolves (later in June) make selections in their respective drafts.

I’m sure none of us will be seduced by potential ever again.

http://www.startribune.com/the-gophers-vic-viramontes-leaves-no-lasting-impression/484434051/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom