Murphy Earns Third Straight Big Ten Player of the Week

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per the U of MN:

Murphy Earns Third Straight Big Ten Player of the Week

For the third straight week, Minnesota junior forward Jordan Murphy has been selected the Big Ten Player of the Week, the conference announced Monday.

Murphy is the first player since Evan Turner of Ohio State to earn the award in three consecutive weeks. Turner did so in 2009, also in the first three weeks of the season. He is just the second Gopher to ever win the award three times in a single season, joining Quincy Lewis in the 1998-99 season.

Murphy continued his streak of double-doubles in three victories last week, extending it to seven. The San Antonio, Texas native is tied with Duke’s Marvin Bagley III for the nation’s lead in double-doubles.

On Tuesday against Alabama A&M, Murphy connected for 20 points and 10 rebounds on 9-of-10 field goal shooting, adding four steals, two assists and a block in 22 minutes of action against the Bulldogs. In Brooklyn, N.Y., in the opening game of the Barclays Center Classic, Murphy contributed 16 points, 11 rebounds, one block, one steal and one assist in a 69-51 victory over UMass. The next day, he followed it up with a first-half double-double en route to 19 points, 14 rebounds, three blocks and two steals in the 89-84 win over 25th-ranked Alabama.

For his efforts in Brooklyn, Murphy was selected as the Barclays Center Classic tournament most valuable player.

Murphy averaged 18.3 points, 11.7 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 1.7 blocks and one assist per game in the Gophers’ three wins last week, helping power Minnesota into a 7-0 start. He currently ranks fifth nationally with 12 rebounds per game and 22nd in scoring and atop the Big Ten averaging 22.5 points per game.

The 12th-ranked Gophers return to action on Wednesday at home, hosting No. 10 Miami in a battle of top-15 teams in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:15 p.m. on ESPN2.

Who would you guys rather have?

2017-18 Murphy

2016-17 Swannigan

2010-11 Jared Sullinger

Murphy is a man amongst boys! Let's hope he beats up on Miami on Wednesday!

Who would you guys rather have?

2017-18 Murphy

2016-17 Swannigan

2010-11 Jared Sullinger

It would be very hard not to take Swannigan. He was such a good player, and was able to beat teams from the paint or beyond the arc. Really Murphy is very comparable to Swannigan, but he just doesn't have the range biggie had.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I’ll hold judgment until I see what Murph does in the B1G but he has been outstanding to start the year.

I’m not saying he won’t have a great conference season but consistently better competition is different than AAMU

Big Ten play will be more difficult to do what he has done in this first seven, but clearly he is significantly better over last year. I don’t see a ceiling either.

Big Ten play will be more difficult to do what he has done in this first seven, but clearly he is significantly better over last year. I don’t see a ceiling either.

Agreed. I meant when someone asked who I’d take between him, Swanigan and Sullinger

I see a ceiling. Murphy is defying gravity and floating above it.

Top Bottom