Game 8: Gophers @ North Carolina (11-29-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The B1G/ACC Challenge

Fresh off a successful trip to the desert Minnesota hops to the East coast facing off against the homestanding North Carolina Tar Heels (3-2). Sylvia Hatchell’s (32nd year) club plays its first ten games in Chapel Hill.

Last season UNC finished 15-16 (3-13 in conference). One of those non-conference wins came against the Gophers in Bimini. Through three quarters, it was a normally frustrating game with Minnesota entering the 4th quarter with a one point lead. Then the Tar Heels ran wild outscoring the Gophers 34-19 on their way to a 91-77 win. UNC’s leading scorer was Paris Kea who returns this season. Gadiva Hubbard with 21 led the Gophers.

In ACC preseason polls, UNC is picked for 9th or 10th. Paris Kea (5’9” guard) is their leading scorer with 22 points per game. They have height in the post with 6’4” Freshman Janelle Bailey averaging 14.8 points per game. Bailey is foul prone. In five games her foul totals are: 5, 4, 3, 5, and 4.

Some other players of note are 6’ guard Jocelyn Jones (10.8 points and 7.4 rebounds per game) and of course Taylor Koenen (6’2” guard) averaging 9.6 points per game.

Wins: Colorado 87-80 OT; Radford 76-46 and UNC Wilmington 86-60.

Losses: Hampton 66-70 and South Alabama 84-85.

North Carolina averages 80.4 points per game and allows 68.2.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/112817aaa.html

A couple of notes from Gopher Sports:

3 Pitts was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the second time in a row and made the Big Ten Player of the Week Honor Roll. She is averaging a 14.3 points and 11.4 rebounds per game. With five double-digit rebound games, Pitts has already surpassed Jessie Edwards' team-high 2016-17 total. No Gopher has had more double-digit rebound games since Amanda Zahui B. (24) and Shae Kelley (15) in 2014-15. Pitts and Kenisha Bell each have three double-doubles this year. Bell's average of 7.4 assists ranks fifth in the nation and first in the Big Ten.

4 Carlie Wagner moved into seventh place on the Gophers' career scoring list at the Lady Rebel Round-Up. With 16 points in each game there, she brings 1,719 career points to Chapel Hill. Wagner also moved into third place on the career 3-pointer list with 220, 10 behind Shannon Schonrock (2002-06).

Looks like Gophers leaning back on the awful zone defense.

68-64 UNC end of Q3

Wagner 19 pts in 30 min
Hubbard 15 pts

Koenen 19 pts in 30 min

Gophers continue to be a terrible defensive team. IMO, Stollings inability to emphasize or teach defense is the reason she's on the bubble. Gophers got sub-par performances from Bell and Pitts today and that didn't help. No POW and FOW awards for those two this week. Bell and Hubbard with first half foul trouble. As I recall, Koenen decided early to go to UNC and never gave the Gophers much of a chance. But she reminded the Gophers today that she would have been a good get for this program. Technical difficulties throughout the ACC broadcast.

Well surprise surprise, a team that is not very good plays like a top 10 team when the play the gophers. I highly doubt that South Alabama and Hampton are that much better defensive teams that the gophers.

Koenen's season high before day was 12 pts. she finished with 21. She was 2-9 on 3-pointers on the season but was 3-6 today alone.

Bailey was noted at foul prone but weirdly wouldn't pick up 3rd foul till late in fourth quarter. and of her 5 blocks, at least 3 looked like a good amount of arm. however the refs had no problem freely blowing their whistle on Hubbard to get her on bench with 3 fouls in first half and tagged her with her 4th as the gophers were making a run.

some 6'6 Van Nes had 1 point total on the season but had 4 points by halftime today.

As a team UNC team high for 3-pointers made in a game was 6.... magically turned into the golden state warriors today drilling 8 of them.

Loss by 5 and missed 6 free throws doesn't help and Pitts and Bell did not have their best games but give me a break with this UNC team. crappy team who suddenly played way above their talent level. lets not forget their pathetic schedule of not having a road game until December 17th and coming into today after sitting and doing nothing for a week.

not hard to see how this game was going to go.

88-83 final

Nope, I'm not filled with hope about stopping Hallie Thome. Bell and Hubbard both picked up two fouls in the first quarter and hit the bench. I think both of Bell's were charges which were at least 2 of her 6 turnovers. The come back in the third was fun; but not carrying it over into the third was not.

As far as I could tell, we played a 3-2 zone, our classic 2-3 zone and a small bit of man.

Minutes Played (Starters bolded)

40 Wagner
31 Edwards
30 Bell
29 Hubbard
27 Pitts

20 T Bello
12 Brunson
9 Gonzalez
1 Fernstrom
1 Lamke

Koenen seemed inspired to play against her home state team. Got her career high today.
Not a bad effort on the road by the Gophers. Had Bell not gotten into such early foul trouble, had Bell had a game more typical of her season this year, and if Edwards could hit more than 50% of her FT's, maybe the outcome is different. I was hoping the Gophers might wear UNC down at the end of the game, since they are deeper than UNC. Seems like Stollings is moving away from man defense and back to not trusting the bench. In other words, more of last year.

Onto the cupcake at home.

Tough Loss

So the Starr girl isn't good enough to play for Gophers last year basically, but helps lead her team over UNC and then UNC beats us. I find that interesting. Last year Bello was working as our main post and a lot thought she'd be better at the 4spot, but now Edwards has taken over the 5 spot when most seemed like they liked her effort but didn't see a real high ceiling for her. I find that interesting also. How many coaches have we used now for this defense? Is this new guy our third? Not sure why we aren't a better defensive team when we have players like Bell who seems to be able to get some steals. I find that really interesting. I guess I should be happy with our current record, but we've played some creampuffs so far so I can't really tell what kind of team this will be.

UNC postgame comments
Postgame Quotes
Coach Sylvia Hatchell
Opening statement:
“It was a good win for us. I’m really proud of the whole team but these two [Janelle Bailey and Taylor
Koenen] especially. Minnesota was undefeated, 7-0, and a really good team so I’m proud of our kids. We
have improved a lot over the last few weeks. We probably should be 6-0 right now instead of 4-2 but we
learn from our mistakes. Again, the strength is that we had five in double figures. Great team effort,
moving the ball around, everything defensively. The young ones are getting better. Taylor [Koenen] had
a great game, 9-for-13, her career high and Janelle [Bailey] had another double-double. These young
kids are really coming along. Jocelyn [Jones] went in there and helped us out. Paris [Kea] didn’t have the
upper numbers that she normally has but she was still 50%, 4-for-8. A lot of good things out there
especially against a very good Minnesota team. Now we have to get ready, we play again Friday, Sunday
and Tuesday. We have to get all those in before exams. It was a great win for us and I’m proud of them.“
On Defensive Effort and Player Contributions:
“We just brought her over and talked to her a little bit about playing solid defense instead of challenging
23 [Kenisha Bell] because she was the key to their team, she was really, really good. Jaime [Cherry] got
on her and took a couple charges off of her and it was really big. She is very good but she has got to go
right. We had kids go in there and did some really good things. First half Leah [Church] was in there. Livy
[Olivia Smith] was in there. Naomi [Van Nes] was 2-for-2 and gave us some quality minutes. She did a
really nice job for us too while Janelle [Bailey] was looking at foul trouble and we let her rest. Great
team effort.”
On Breaking Minnesota’s Defense:
“It was like moving chess pieces around… They’re a very good team and we were trying to get the ball
into Paris [Kea] more than we were able to get the ball in there. We shared the ball. We moved the ball
around. Movement is the enemy of any defense so I thought we had really good ball movement. We got
the ball inside. Played from the inside out and they collapsed and the rest of them we would pass it
around and find people on the outside.”
On areas for improvement
“Rebounding is a big emphasis. We got out-rebounded by one and we’ve really put a lot of emphasis on
that. Communicating, especially defensively, but just communication. We’ve got really good stuff and
when they do it, it works really good. So, the biggest thing is everybody knowing and understanding and
communicating especially on some defensive situations. Some of that is the youthfulness. Murray was
out there a couple times and we had some breakdowns defensively, but she’s learning. She’s getting
better and the biggest thing is that we play defensive without fouling because we need to keep Paris
[Kea]and keep Janelle [Bailey] out there. They’re getting smarter as far as what they can and can’t do.”
On Taylor’s skills getting inside
“Taylor [Koenen] is really good when she penetrates. She takes it in there to the middle. If you look at
the percentages, she has really worked hard shooting it. When she puts it on the floor and goes in there.
Her percentages when she does that is really good.”
On Taylor’s growth
“[Taylor Koenen] was good at that. They have to learn that a lot of things that they could do in high
school, they won’t be able to do in college. It won’t be called, the teams are more athletic and quick,
you have to adjust and it takes time to do that. Taylor has really worked on that. She got really
frustrated last year, because she was trying to do things that she could do in high school but couldn’t.
She can do a little bit of everything out there. She can play point-guard she can guard a post-player.
They have been playing with four guards a lot. I thought if we have to do that, we will go smaller. We
could put her on a post-player, because she can play post-defense. That’s why I said she is a utility-type
player.”
Taylor Koenen
On facing home state team
“I knew some of the girls on the team, but I mean anybody wants to beat their hometown team. So, it
was a good win and I know they’ve been playing well but we played really well as a team tonight and we
showed that.”
On career-high
“It’s pretty nice. My teammates did a really good job looking for me and just getting into the flow of the
game was huge. They play fast up and down so it was pretty easy for us to keep with the flow and the
quarters flew by. There wasn’t much stop to the play so that was pretty nice.”
On demanding the ball and Minnesota challenges
“They shaded towards my side a little bit. But like Coach Hatchell said, we did go to the 2 and then the 3.
At points, I was trying to help my team and the open person by telling them, ‘I am open! I am open!’
Then, I can do what I need to do and make the right play to go from there to make the correct read.”
Janelle Bailey
On getting second career double-double as a freshman
“It feels good. I’m rebounding more. That’s the biggest thing for me just trying to rebound out of my
area and be aggressive on offensive boards without fouling. So, I mean it feels good – just got to keep
doing that going forward.”
On keeping momentum (good shooting and good ball movement) into ACC play
“I just think before the game Coach [Hatchell] was telling us, ‘It doesn’t matter who scores as long as we
win.’ So, I think if we keep that mentality, I think that will get better and better each day going forward.
As long as at the end of the day we have a better score than the other team I think that’s the thing that
we need to remember, that Taylor had a career-high tonight because we moved the ball around. Not
one person was stagnant or anything like that. When the ball moves good things happen for us.”

Top Bottom