Vs Miami

gopherhoopsguy

Reaction score
We have the biggest game of this early season Wednesday vs #11 Miami and nobody is talking about this game? This board is so weird!

Who is all going?
Key matchups?
What will be our challenges?
Who is all going?
Get freaking fired up these games are very important do u want a top 3 seed in the tournament then these are the ones u need to win!

I can't remember a non-confernece game with this much hype. We had a fantastic game against Cinci when Kyle Sanden hit a buzzer beater to go to OT (I think we ultimately lost) and we had a great win over Georgia where Michael Bauer hit a buzzer beater I think.

But I can't remember the last time we hosted a non-conference game with both teams in the Top 15.

I'm fired up!!!!!!

Wear GOLD for the Gold Out!

Go Gophers!!

It’s still multiple days away, coming off a holiday weekend and the weirdest Gopher game in a. Try long time. The board will get fired up.

Miami hasn’t played anyone of note. Their closest game was an 11pt win vs Lasalle.

Their leading scorer is Duane Hewell. 6’11 sophomore. Reggie needs to avoid foul trouble in this one.

Going to be an interesting game. Miami has all the pieces, as do we, to compete at a high level. Agree w/ the Reggie comment above - his managing fouls are one of the keys to the game.

Going to be an interesting game. Miami has all the pieces, as do we, to compete at a high level. Agree w/ the Reggie comment above - his managing fouls are one of the keys to the game.

Granted...we could say that every game about Reggie.

It’s still multiple days away, coming off a holiday weekend and the weirdest Gopher game in a. Try long time. The board will get fired up.

Miami hasn’t played anyone of note. Their closest game was an 11pt win vs Lasalle.

Their leading scorer is Duane Hewell. 6’11 sophomore. Reggie needs to avoid foul trouble in this one.

Bruce Brown is their best player. Dynamic sophomore.

Slowing down the hurricanes

Miami has do everything Guard Bruce Brown a 6-5 190 so. Another guard is Newton 6-2 190 Sr. The third guard is Vasiljevic 6-3 200 so. A. Lawrence at SF 6-7-210 JR. Huell is a 6-11 220 Forward and a So. Their only true post player with size is Izundu 6-10 235 JR. Off the bench they also have McD all american FR Lonnie Walker 6-4- 195 and 5-7 160 Fr PG Chris Lykes.

They haven't played anyone yet. They have some athletes, length, good depth. They do not have much in the way of muscle. They are terrible at the free throw line 57%, bad at 34 % from 3. They will look a lot like some of the better Florida St. teams we have played. Only Lawrence and Lykes are good from 3.

Murphy and Lynch could have their way inside. I imagine Mason on Newton, McBrayer on Vasil, Coffey on Brown, Murphy on Huell, and Lynch on Izundu. Would be nice to have Curry as he has a longer build to guard Huell.

Might be a good team to throw an occassional zone against esp if Lawrence and Lykes aren't on the floor! We should have an advantage on the boards also. Might be a team to slow the pace against and make them play half-court basketball.

I bought tix for my parents. Based on the little availability, thinking this will be a sell out!

Miami is a good match up for Gophers. Could have done worse

However, its still a joke Duke escaped competition to face Indiana. I know its for money, but NW or the Gophers should have played them with the other playing Miami.

I think the biggest matchup will be Amir on Bruce Brown and Murph on Anthony Lawrence. Hoping Nate and Reggie stay out of foul trouble so IW and Bakary don't have to play extended minutes in this one. Tough matchup but I think we take this one by 7-12pts.

Is it Wednesday yet? Miami is very talented. Brown has struggled a bit so far this year, but he is really really good. Since it's at the Barn and the Barn should be rocking, I like the Gophers by 5.

If Lawrence plays the 4 for them. Murphy will absolutely eat him alive down low and on the boards! Now Murphy may have trouble guarding Lawrence on the perimeter, but I'll take this match any day.

The main key for me in this HUGE matchup is foul trouble (I know broken record). Miami is about 9 or 10 deep so we need to keep Lynch and Murph in the game for 30+ minutes. If Lynch gets in early foul trouble were toast, also Washington is currently shooting 9.5% from 3 (not good) he needs to either stop shooting so much or attack the basket and Jelly.

Now we are talking!
Many tickets left?
Some great information from many to this none conference game.

Thanks for all the info. I know nothing about Miami, so nice to learn a little before the game. Sounds like they may have higher-rated recruits, but hopefully we have the better TEAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody have a couple tickets they want to sell? Not looking for crappy seats.

let me know

Miami lineup

PG: 6-2 Senior Ja'Quan Newton: 11.6 PPG, 1.8 APG, 5-7 Freshman Chris Lykes: 6.8 PPG, top 70 recruit last year
SG: 6-3 Sophomore Dejan Vasiljevic: 9.6 PPG, 6-4 freshman Lonnie Walker: 7.0 PPG, 5 star recruit last year
SF: 6-5 Sophomore Bruce Brown: 9.8 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 5.4 SPG, projected lottery pick and former top 30 recruit
PF: 6-7 junior Anthony Laurence: 9.0 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 6-9 freshman Sam Waardenburg: 8 PPG, 4 RPG
C: 6-11 Dewan Huell: 13.4 PPG, 7.2 RPG former top 30 recruit, 6-10 junior Ebuka Izundu: 7.6 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 1.2 BPG

To me, it looks like they go about 9 deep and have much more bench production. Our starting lineup looks to have an edge in talent however IMO.

The main key for me in this HUGE matchup is foul trouble (I know broken record). Miami is about 9 or 10 deep so we need to keep Lynch and Murph in the game for 30+ minutes. If Lynch gets in early foul trouble were toast, also Washington is currently shooting 9.5% from 3 (not good) he needs to either stop shooting so much or attack the basket and Jelly.

You say they're 9 or 10 deep because you probably looked up their season stats (which include a handful of blowouts). Truly, they play about 7/8 guys. Against La Salle (their only competitive game), they played 8 guys more than 6 minutes and only 6 guys more than 15 minutes and that came with Anthony Lawrence in foul trouble.

That being said, foul trouble has never helped us in the past so here is to our giant in the paint avoiding it! Dilly Dilly!

Can't remember the last time I was this excited for a sporting event! Gonna head down to Stubs or Sallys right after work and put a few back. Already told my boss that I wouldn't be into work on time and his repsonse was "Go Gophs".

I'll be cheering loudly in section 218. Hope Reggie swats a couple into the stands early and gets the crowd going.

Top Bottom