Are the Gophers ready for an openly gay player?

Khaliq

Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about as of late. As our society continues to grow more secular and social moires change obviously people being openly gay in all aspects of life is starting to become more common place. With most estimates of American gays running somewhere between 2 - 10% (probably on the low end of that scale), it's almost a statistical certainty that at some point gay players have played for the Gophers and there probably are some now.

When discussing this with a friend I argued that with Minneapolis being somewhat cosmopolitan for a midwestern city that Gopher fans would be more accepting of a gay player than other Big Ten schools.

How would you feel about a Gopher player coming out and being open about his sexuality? Even if you disagree with it personally for some reason would you be able to set that aside and support him?

Something I've been thinking about as of late. As our society continues to grow more secular and social moires change obviously people being openly gay in all aspects of life is starting to become more common place. With most estimates of American gays running somewhere between 2 - 10% (probably on the low end of that scale), it's almost a statistical certainty that at some point gay players have played for the Gophers and there probably are some now.

When discussing this with a friend I argued that with Minneapolis being somewhat cosmopolitan for a midwestern city that Gopher fans would be more accepting of a gay player than other Big Ten schools.

How would you feel about a Gopher player coming out and being open about his sexuality? Even if your religion disagrees with it personally would you be able to set that aside and support him?

Wow.

How would you feel about a Gopher player coming out and being open about his sexuality? Even if you disagree with it personally for some reason would you be able to set that aside and support him?

When I read the title of the thread, I burst out laughing. Then when I clicked and read the actual content, I burst into tears.

No one gives a sh*t about a gay Gopher. They care whether a Gopher can play the game.

Very Random
It is, but there are no interesting threads going on right now and I thought it might foster a productive discussion. I was just reading an article this morning on Esra Tuaolo and it got me thinking a little bit about our attitudes in sports toward alternative sexualities.

You're probably wondering what KFAN or Ruesse's opinion on this would be huh?:clap::clap::clap:

What about an openly Gay Boxer? I've always wondered how the world would feel about that let alone that guys opponents......

This should be posted on the off-topic board. This board is about football not about the secularization of American society.

This should be posted on the off-topic board. This board is about football not about the secularization of American society.

That semed to be the point of the post, to get the board off of-topic.

Could be asexual for all I care, just contribute.

Top Bottom