Who are you cheering for in the Big Ten championship game?

• OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Votes: 108 69.2%
  • wisconsin badgers

Votes: 48 30.8%

• Total voters
Ok I will jump in here. In my perfect world Minnesota is 12-0 and Wisconsin is winless and Iowa has 1 win.

Don't really care where Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern end up. Frankly it is odd to me that there is any argument about this on a Gopher fan board.

Because it comes at the cost of the Big Ten conference. That's why I voted how I did.

If the OP had made a poll that said "Pretend we know that if Ohio State wins the Big Ten Championship Game, they will be in the CFP. Given that .... "

That would be one thing.

But the fact of the matter is that Wisconsin is the only chance the Big Ten has this year. The conference is just too important to throw under the bus for petty BS. Especially in a "rivalry" in which one team has lost the last 14. Save your tears for when we actually RISE UP and do something about that!

That you can't understand that this is the complete opposite of my position, goes a long way in showing why you continue to fall over yourself to speak past me, rather than try to understand what I'm saying.

So be it

As articulated above, it is exactly your position. I understand perfectly what you're saying.

You don't understand, and you have no desire to do so.

You are wrong. It is not at all my position.

You don't understand, and you have no desire to do so.

You are wrong. It is not at all my position.

Then convey your message better. What you are communicating through your words is exactly as I have outlined above.

I don't get the "we hope everyone sucks in the West" opinion.

Does being a vastly weaker division than the East really do us any good.

Obviously we need to first start competing with Wisconsin, but when we do, I want it to be because we are beating them because we're a top 10 or top 20 team.
Not because the whole west sucks and no one is ranked.

If we go unbeaten some year, I don't want it to be like what Wisconsin has this year where everyone else sucks so bad that as the only unbeaten team you're still not in the CFP.

That's ridiculous.

I don't just "hope WI sucks" and I don't want everyone in the West to be bad. We already know that WI is good, that's fine. But I hate them, and MN fans should all hate them. Rooting for them does NOTHING for MN.

Then convey your message better. What you are communicating through your words is exactly as I have outlined above.

It's not my fault that you misunderstand my very clear words.

You have made no attempt to actually prove that Wisconsin winning championships hurts Minnesota's attempts to make itself better than 5-7. You just state that it does, over and over. The only other thing you've stated is the silly tautology that if Wisconsin won the championship, then Minnesota didn't.

The only possible logical thing that could be eked out of that is that you believe there are only two states for Minnesota's football program: i) won the championship, ii) failed. If that's what you believe, then you should be ashamed.

Minnesota can, should, and will achieve a range of success greater than going 5-7 (with no bowl) but without winning the championship.

And the only way it will ever hope to win the championship is by making itself better than its competition. And the greater the competition, the harder it will drive itself to improve. Bring it on!

1. Hoping that the West division is strong when we win it and hoping for Wisconsin to lose the Big Ten championship this year are not mutually exclusive.
2. If you think that it helps us if Wisconsin wins because they are in our division then you are delusional. Each year is different in college football. Them winning this year doesn't mean anything in terms of more respect for us next year. Most fans outside of B1G country couldn't even tell you which teams are in which division in the B1G.
3. We compete with Wisconsin for recruits. Do I want Quinn Carroll sitting down in Paul Chryst's office with a shiny new B1G championship trophy in plain view? No, I don't. That might make no difference at all, or it might mean something to him. I'd rather not find out.
4. Have any friends who are Badger fans? I do. Do I want to listen to them talk about their B1G championship and CFP appearance? Nope.
5. Wouldn't it be cool if we win the B1G Championship game in 2 years and are the first team from the West to do it? I think so. Would be nice to be able to brag about that.
6. I guess some people may have forgotten this, but the Gophers and the Badgers are rivals. Real fans cheer against their rivals.
7. Every team that wasn't already a recruiting juggernaut and made the playoff saw their recruiting ranking increase by at least five spots. If you don't believe me check the 247 team recruiting rankings of Michigan State, Oregon, and Washington in the years before and after they made the playoff. I don't want them to get that extra bump.
8. About 31.58% of the people who answered this poll need a reminder on how to act like Gopher fans.
9. It is ridiculous that I need to make a list like this to try to convince some Gopher "fans" they shouldn't cheer for the Badgers. Pathetic.

This! +1000

Even with the idea of the Big Ten having a CFP shot, I still can't bring myself to root for Wisconsin. I couldn't root for Wisconsin, or Iowa for that matter, to win the B1G and then go on to win a national title. The same way I wouldn't want to see the same two teams pull it off in basketball, or see North Dakota or Wisconsin win the Frozen Four. Same at the pro level, I can't stand seeing the Packers win and I know the Bucks aren't even in the same conference but I can't stand watching them win either.

Because it comes at the cost of the Big Ten conference. That's why I voted how I did.

If the OP had made a poll that said "Pretend we know that if Ohio State wins the Big Ten Championship Game, they will be in the CFP. Given that .... "

That would be one thing.

But the fact of the matter is that Wisconsin is the only chance the Big Ten has this year. The conference is just too important to throw under the bus for petty BS. Especially in a "rivalry" in which one team has lost the last 14. Save your tears for when we actually RISE UP and do something about that!

I'm sure every Boston Red Sox fan roots for the Yankees when they appear in the World Series to support the American League...
:rolleyes:

Even with the idea of the Big Ten having a CFP shot, I still can't bring myself to root for Wisconsin. I couldn't root for Wisconsin, or Iowa for that matter, to win the B1G and then go on to win a national title. The same way I wouldn't want to see the same two teams pull it off in basketball, or see North Dakota or Wisconsin win the Frozen Four. Same at the pro level, I can't stand seeing the Packers win and I know the Bucks aren't even in the same conference but I can't stand watching them win either.

Wisconsin isn't going to win the national title. They aren't even going to win the semi-final. They'll lose to Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl (semi-final).

The important thing is not at all that they win, just that they make it there. With that, the conference's bacon is saved well enough until next year.

Entrance into the championship four is picked arbitrarily, which means that perception matters. The west division being good helps our cause.

I wish it were as simple as Yankees vs. Red Sox where it all came down to wins and losses.

1. Hoping that the West division is strong when we win it and hoping for Wisconsin to lose the Big Ten championship this year are not mutually exclusive.
2. If you think that it helps us if Wisconsin wins because they are in our division then you are delusional. Each year is different in college football. Them winning this year doesn't mean anything in terms of more respect for us next year. Most fans outside of B1G country couldn't even tell you which teams are in which division in the B1G.
3. We compete with Wisconsin for recruits. Do I want Quinn Carroll sitting down in Paul Chryst's office with a shiny new B1G championship trophy in plain view? No, I don't. That might make no difference at all, or it might mean something to him. I'd rather not find out.
4. Have any friends who are Badger fans? I do. Do I want to listen to them talk about their B1G championship and CFP appearance? Nope.
5. Wouldn't it be cool if we win the B1G Championship game in 2 years and are the first team from the West to do it? I think so. Would be nice to be able to brag about that.
6. I guess some people may have forgotten this, but the Gophers and the Badgers are rivals. Real fans cheer against their rivals.
7. Every team that wasn't already a recruiting juggernaut and made the playoff saw their recruiting ranking increase by at least five spots. If you don't believe me check the 247 team recruiting rankings of Michigan State, Oregon, and Washington in the years before and after they made the playoff. I don't want them to get that extra bump.
8. About 31.58% of the people who answered this poll need a reminder on how to act like Gopher fans.
9. It is ridiculous that I need to make a list like this to try to convince some Gopher "fans" they shouldn't cheer for the Badgers. Pathetic.

1. I agree
2. There is a perception in college football of which teams are good and bad going into each year. (Alabama). Non-conference games against high level opponents are too few for the Big Ten West to gain much steam until they really start winning something. Even then it will take a few years until the Big Ten West is considered better than say the SEC West (or East for that matter). You change that perception by going unbeaten and beating teams in bowl games or winning championships.
3. Yeh, recruiting is so subjective. If we're fighting over a kid anywhere, there will always be a team with a trophy on their desk. Having one in the backyard for one year might matter, but they already have the Axe. It's not like a recruit will go "Oh, yeah, you have the axe, but since you don't have a national title, I'll go to Minnesota even though I really like Madison".
4. I quit listening to my badger friends long time ago. I don't let other people's joy affect my mood.
5. Well, I can agree with that.
6. Some rivals you don't like when you play them, and other times it's okay. There's too much hate in this world already. Don't need to manufacture more over football.
7. Fair point
8. Any group of fans need diversity in opinions, otherwise we all end up like Packer or Badger fans with no depth or intricate knowledge of college football in general.
9. Yeah, well, that's your opinion man....

wisconsin winning Big Ten championships is good for us just like Amazon's record sales numbers are good for traditional brick-and-mortar stores.

I expect that one could probably buy bricks and mortar on Amazon.

Let me make this really simple for you...No real Gopher fan cheers for the Badgers unless it directly helps us. Please attempt to make a logical, factual argument as to why Wisconsin winning this game helps us. (And you aren't allowed to talk about "respect for our division" because that is nonsense.)

You are trolling. Congratulations on earning my response ya troll

The more they win, the more non-MN recruits they'll get, leaving more Minnesota kids for MN.

Anyone routing for OSU must be either delusional or just stupid. They have the best team money can buy and they are so arrogant they make fun of all midwest teams, especially us. I hate Wisconsin but I hope they kick their butt!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

This is rhetorical, right? Burst into laughter before the question is finished type of deal?

Anyone routing for OSU must be either delusional or just stupid. They have the best team money can buy and they are so arrogant they make fun of all midwest teams, especially us. I hate Wisconsin but I hope they kick their butt!

The Badgers could be playing a team comprised of Joseph Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Pol Pot, Muammar Gaddafi, Genghis Khan, Vlad the Impaler, Kim Jong Il, Emporer Hirohito, Mao Zedong, Vlad Lennin, and Bashar Al-Assad, coached by Satan himself, and I'd have to sleep on it.

The Badgers could be playing a team comprised of Joseph Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Pol Pot, Muammar Gaddafi, Genghis Khan, Vlad the Impaler, Kim Jong Il, Emporer Hirohito, Mao Zedong, Vlad Lennin, and Bashar Al-Assad, coached by Satan himself, and I'd have to sleep on it.

No pot allowed in NCAA.

Reading through the other comments...I am in a state of confusion, anger, frustration, and despair. Mpls has to be trolling, right?

Clearly this is way over your head.

No pot allowed in NCAA.

Reading through the other comments...I am in a state of confusion, anger, frustration, and despair. Mpls has to be trolling, right?

My position is clear, and it’s correct.

I get and respect to a degree how fervently you all profess to hate Wisconsin. But it really hasn’t been much of a rivalry in the last 20 years. Not worth throwing a brick into the Big Ten’s window.

My position is clear, and it’s correct.

I get and respect to a degree how fervently you all profess to hate Wisconsin. But it really hasn’t been much of a rivalry in the last 20 years. Not worth throwing a brick into the Big Ten’s window.

And, you’re incorrect. I realize you mysteriously showed up just in time for the Wisconsin week and are apparently trolling or are simply obtuse to the concept of rivalries. It’s simple: we compete with you for recruits, and we’re rivals. This RISE UP pyschobabble nonsense seems straight out of Sunday school. Of course we want to get better but we don’t require Wisconsin to be good for us to be get better. Two separate things.

Frankly I don’t care that much if the Big Ten misses out this year. It will soon be forgotten like the SEC’s disastrous bowl season a few years ago. Does anyone remember or care the PAC 12 missed a year of the CFP, or the Big 12 twice? No. Most diehards would probably have to think pretty hard about the participants even a few years ago.

How can anyone even think of wanting the BADgers to win??? They recruit directly against us for players. There's no way we ever want them to get a Nat'l Championship. I want them to get totally embarrassed, absolutely crushed. I want them to spend the summer thinking about the beating they took. I'm hoping the *uckeyes run up the score to the max with the idea that they need to in order to ensure a spot in the top four.

Two separate things.

So you agree that Wisconsin being good does not limit Minnesota being good. That we can agree on.

Frankly I don’t care that much if the Big Ten misses out this year.

While I don't think this makes any sense, at least I can understand it.

To me, in my personal opinion, the Big Ten being nationally competitive against the other power conferences is at least as important as Minnesota being competitive against the other Big Ten teams. My $0.02

How can anyone even think of wanting the BADgers to win??? They recruit directly against us for players. There's no way we ever want them to get a Nat'l Championship. I want them to get totally embarrassed, absolutely crushed. I want them to spend the summer thinking about the beating they took. I'm hoping the *uckeyes run up the score to the max with the idea that they need to in order to ensure a spot in the top four.

This is like your nextdoor neighbor telling you that he's planning a big renovation, and then you hoping his house burns down. It makes no sense.

This is like your nextdoor neighbor telling you that he's planning a big renovation, and then you hoping his house burns down. It makes no sense.

You're making no sense. If my neighbor builds a better house it increases the value of my house, I'd be all for it. For your analogy to fit the situation, my neighbor would have to be planning his big renovation by taking pieces of my house to do it, and no I wouldn't want them to do that. We recruit directly, head-to-head with the BADgers, plus we have to go through them to win a B10 title. Anything good for them is bad for us.

Ok I will jump in here. In my perfect world Minnesota is 12-0 and Wisconsin is winless and Iowa has 1 win.

Don't really care where Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern end up. Frankly it is odd to me that there is any argument (I guess a few could have reason to flip Wisconsin and Iowa but that is it) about this on a Gopher fan board.

This guy gets it.
And the only way this would change would be if somehow Iowa or Wisconsin played against St John’s.

It makes sense if your neighbor had been coming to your house and taking your things and then bragging about it to the rest of the neighborhood for the last 15 years.

Don't really care where Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern end up. Frankly it is odd to me that there is any argument (I guess a few could have reason to flip Wisconsin and Iowa but that is it) about this on a Gopher fan board.
I never cheer for Wisconsin in anything. Ohio State will be who I am cheering for Saturday. Anything good for that side sicks, they like us and we don't like Bucky Vadgers.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom