Who are you cheering for in the Big Ten championship game?

Who are you cheering for in the Big Ten championship game?

• OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Votes: 108 69.2%
  • wisconsin badgers

Votes: 48 30.8%

• Total voters
You're making no sense. If my neighbor builds a better house it increases the value of my house, I'd be all for it. For your analogy to fit the situation, my neighbor would have to be planning his big renovation by taking pieces of my house to do it, and no I wouldn't want them to do that. We recruit directly, head-to-head with the BADgers, plus we have to go through them to win a B10 title. Anything good for them is bad for us.

I'm sorry to hear that you (and several others) so steadfastly believe in this contrived delusion.

It simply is not true.

Alabama recruits directly against Auburn. Seems like it turned out just fine for them this year.

Steel hardens steel. I want the highest and best competition for Minnesota, because that is what will drive us the hardest to make ourselves the best we can be.

I won't budge.

Clearly neither will any of you. So at this point, I think it's well safe that we can just agree to disagree.

So you agree that Wisconsin being good does not limit Minnesota being good. That we can agree on.

While I don't think this makes any sense, at least I can understand it.

To me, in my personal opinion, the Big Ten being nationally competitive against the other power conferences is at least as important as Minnesota being competitive against the other Big Ten teams. My $0.02

There is no chance you’re a Gopher fan. While somewhat entertaining, the bit has run its course.

Keep in mind, one little detail that I think is derailing this: it is not important for me that Wisconsin specifically wins championships. That part I don't care about.

Say again: I don't care if Wisconsin wins championships. That is beside the point.

It only matters for this thread because it's more important to me that the Big Ten be nationally competitive. So for that sake, yes, I'm just fine with Wisconsin being the champ, this year.

But them winning, or more simply stated them being good, does not prevent us from doing anything we want! That is a very odd delusion, very easily disproven by many examples across the country, yet you all believe with a religious fervor.

There is no chance you’re a Gopher fan. While somewhat entertaining, the bit has run its course.

The guy living in Southern California has spoken!

Need me to grab anything for you in Dinkytown? I live here

Keep in mind, one little detail that I think is derailing this: it is not important for me that Wisconsin specifically wins championships. That part I don't care about.

Say again: I don't care if Wisconsin wins championships. That is beside the point.

It only matters for this thread because it's more important to me that the Big Ten be nationally competitive. So for that sake, yes, I'm just fine with Wisconsin winning.

But them winning, or more simply stated them being good, does not prevent us from doing anything we want!

Does the SEC or ACC winning more championships make their rival the Big Ten better? Or does it make it more likely blue chips stay down south and make it easier for them to patch regional players and perpetuate the cycle?

I’m having real trouble following your argument.

It's not an equal comparison, so that doesn't work. The conferences themselves don't recruit players.

It's a pride thing, simply. I don't want the Big Ten to go even one year being shut out of the CFP. And for that, even if it requires Wisconsin being the champ for one measly year .... friggin' big whoopity doo. Even Iowa was going to be the champ for one year back in 2015 (until they screwed that up in the champ game against Mich St).

I know that must seem stupid. Because you're going to say "well it's pride for us! We hate Wisc!". I get that. The problem here is it's two really separate things, that have been conflated. The one thing is that I feel a lot of pride for the Big Ten (and hate the SEC). So, like I said, I'm willing to be fine with Wisc being the champion for a year.

The other, separate, thing is that I do want Wisc, Iowa, NW, even Purdue and Illinois, to be good teams. Because steel hardens steel. I truly do believe that Minnesota will get to a higher level by driving itself harder to beat out those other programs that are at a higher level, than if they're at a lower level. This is a separate thing. But so many of you were/are using this BS about Wisconsin being good ruining Minnesota's chances ... I had to slap that down.

The guy living in Southern California has spoken!

Need me to grab anything for you in Dinkytown? I live here

Ok...?

Remember, when your competitor gets the bid or a coworker gets the promotion instead of you it’s making you AND the company stronger. RISE UP.

It's not an equal comparison, so that doesn't work. The conferences themselves don't recruit players.

It's a pride thing, simply. I don't want the Big Ten to go even one year being shut out of the CFP. And for that, even if it requires Wisconsin being the champ for one measly year .... friggin' big whoopity doo. Even Iowa was going to be the champ for one year back in 2015 (until they screwed that up in the champ game against Mich St).

Why do you care about the Big Ten, but not one of the longest and most competitive rivalries in football (the last few years notwithstanding).

? Preach, brother.

I know that must seem stupid. Because you're going to say "well it's pride for us! We hate Wisc!". I get that. The problem here is it's two really separate things, that have been conflated. The one thing is that I feel a lot of pride for the Big Ten (and hate the SEC). So, like I said, I'm willing to be fine with Wisc being the champion for a year.

The other, separate, thing is that I do want Wisc, Iowa, NW, even Purdue and Illinois, to be good teams. Because steel hardens steel. I truly do believe that Minnesota will get to a higher level by driving itself harder to beat out those other programs that are at a higher level, than if they're at a lower level. This is a separate thing. But so many of you were/are using this BS about Wisconsin being good ruining Minnesota's chances ... I had to slap that down.

We’re you cheering for Iowa or Mich State? As a diehard Gopher fan I’m sure you were pulling for the Spartans.

Ok...?

Remember, when your competitor gets the bid or a coworker gets the promotion instead of you it’s making you AND the company stronger. RISE UP.

So burn your neighbor's house down, before he can do that big renovation and have a nicer house than you, right?

There has to be a balance somewhere. You can't be 100% altruistic ... and you can't be 100% selfish.

The optimal is always somewhere in the middle.

Why do you care about the Big Ten, but not one of the longest and most competitive rivalries in football (the last few years notwithstanding).

? Preach, brother.

I love the Minn Wisc game. The game, itself ... a single game, is a great part of both school's histories and college football.

But it's one game.

Losing the Wisconsin game does not automatically cast a spell over the Minnesota program that prevents it from improving for the whole year.

We’re you cheering for Iowa or Mich State? As a diehard Gopher fan I’m sure you were pulling for the Spartans.

A red herring question.

The answer to it doesn't disprove my loyalty to the Gophers a single iota. So I will withhold answering.

So burn your neighbor's house down, before he can do that big renovation and have a nicer house than you, right?

There has to be a balance somewhere. You can't be 100% altruistic ... and you can't be 100% selfish.

The optimal is always somewhere in the middle.

It’s like explaining love. Either you innately get it or you don’t. Apparently, you don’t. Fair enough.

It’s like explaining love. Either you innately get it or you don’t. Apparently, you don’t. Fair enough.

Feel free to pretend that you're "in the clique". That could well be true, here on GH. I don't really care.

All I know is that I'm just a loyal a Gopher fan as you (more so, possibly), and yet I have the wisdom and experience to realize that it is in fact OK for your rival to find some level of success, in a given circumstance.

But nothing I said was going to change you mind anyway. To you, it's 100% or nothing. That is your decision

1. Hoping that the West division is strong when we win it and hoping for Wisconsin to lose the Big Ten championship this year are not mutually exclusive.
2. If you think that it helps us if Wisconsin wins because they are in our division then you are delusional. Each year is different in college football. Them winning this year doesn't mean anything in terms of more respect for us next year. Most fans outside of B1G country couldn't even tell you which teams are in which division in the B1G.
3. We compete with Wisconsin for recruits. Do I want Quinn Carroll sitting down in Paul Chryst's office with a shiny new B1G championship trophy in plain view? No, I don't. That might make no difference at all, or it might mean something to him. I'd rather not find out.
4. Have any friends who are Badger fans? I do. Do I want to listen to them talk about their B1G championship and CFP appearance? Nope.
5. Wouldn't it be cool if we win the B1G Championship game in 2 years and are the first team from the West to do it? I think so. Would be nice to be able to brag about that.
6. I guess some people may have forgotten this, but the Gophers and the Badgers are rivals. Real fans cheer against their rivals.
7. Every team that wasn't already a recruiting juggernaut and made the playoff saw their recruiting ranking increase by at least five spots. If you don't believe me check the 247 team recruiting rankings of Michigan State, Oregon, and Washington in the years before and after they made the playoff. I don't want them to get that extra bump.
8. About 31.58% of the people who answered this poll need a reminder on how to act like Gopher fans.
9. It is ridiculous that I need to make a list like this to try to convince some Gopher "fans" they shouldn't cheer for the Badgers. Pathetic.

THANK YOU

+1000

Ok I will jump in here. In my perfect world Minnesota is 12-0 and Wisconsin is winless and Iowa has 1 win.

Don't really care where Purdue, Illinois and Northwestern end up. Frankly it is odd to me that there is any argument (I guess a few could have reason to flip Wisconsin and Iowa but that is it) about this on a Gopher fan board.

Another +1000

I can agree to a certain extent that it'd be nice for the West Division to be respectable and competitive against the East. Ideally that would happen with us leading the charge, some combination of Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue behind us.

Wisco and Iowa bringing up the rear and combining for 1 win total.

Any Gopher "fan" advocating for the Badgers or Hawkeyes to have ANY sort of success is either a troll or a complete moron.

No pot allowed in NCAA.

Reading through the other comments...I am in a state of confusion, anger, frustration, and despair. Mpls has to be trolling, right?

I honestly can't tell. He's made more bizarre statements and posts in a month as a user than most have in a decade.

Wisco and Iowa bringing up the rear and combining for 1 win total.

Any Gopher "fan" advocating for the Badgers or Hawkeyes to have ANY sort of success is either a troll or a complete moron.

Arbitrary, meaningless, bizarre drivel that you know would never happen in the first place, and that you have not proven in the slightest to be true.

But continue the pound a drum with all the strength in your arms, because you think it's a thing to do, without having even the slightest clue what color it is or what sound it makes. Just pound. Don't think.

Cool!~

:clap:
1. Hoping that the West division is strong when we win it and hoping for Wisconsin to lose the Big Ten championship this year are not mutually exclusive.
2. If you think that it helps us if Wisconsin wins because they are in our division then you are delusional. Each year is different in college football. Them winning this year doesn't mean anything in terms of more respect for us next year. Most fans outside of B1G country couldn't even tell you which teams are in which division in the B1G.
3. We compete with Wisconsin for recruits. Do I want Quinn Carroll sitting down in Paul Chryst's office with a shiny new B1G championship trophy in plain view? No, I don't. That might make no difference at all, or it might mean something to him. I'd rather not find out.
4. Have any friends who are Badger fans? I do. Do I want to listen to them talk about their B1G championship and CFP appearance? Nope.
5. Wouldn't it be cool if we win the B1G Championship game in 2 years and are the first team from the West to do it? I think so. Would be nice to be able to brag about that.
6. I guess some people may have forgotten this, but the Gophers and the Badgers are rivals. Real fans cheer against their rivals.
7. Every team that wasn't already a recruiting juggernaut and made the playoff saw their recruiting ranking increase by at least five spots. If you don't believe me check the 247 team recruiting rankings of Michigan State, Oregon, and Washington in the years before and after they made the playoff. I don't want them to get that extra bump.
8. About 31.58% of the people who answered this poll need a reminder on how to act like Gopher fans.
9. It is ridiculous that I need to make a list like this to try to convince some Gopher "fans" they shouldn't cheer for the Badgers. Pathetic.

Arbitrary, meaningless, bizarre drivel that you know would never happen in the first place, and that you have not proven in the slightest to be true.

But continue the pound a drum with all the strength in your arms, because you think it's a thing to do, without having even the slightest clue what color it is or what sound it makes. Just pound. Don't think.

You've made quite the rep for yourself in your month on the board. Will credit you with this much; it's tough to tell if you are a troll or a complete fool so you must be doing something right (well wrong, but whatever).

You've made quite the rep for yourself in your month on the board. Will credit you with this much; it's tough to tell if you are a troll or a complete fool so you must be doing something right (well wrong, but whatever).

Have you ever (I mean EVER) seen anyone (I mean ANYONE) use the shortened form Mnpls before? He's clearly not from here and clearly not a Gopher fan. I don't want to know what someone's life must be about that they waste so much time trolling fans of a team they don't even like.

You've made quite the rep for yourself in your month on the board.

Have I (made quite the rep)?? Is there some secret board, only for the "long timers", to talk s___ about new members? :rolleyes:

I see that you have no interest in the intellectual discussion, and have moved on to insulting.

Have you ever (I mean EVER) seen anyone (I mean ANYONE) use the shortened form Mnpls before?

Because Mpls was already taken.

Anybody cheering for the badgers is not a gopher fan and deserves to be kicked in the nuts every 30 seconds until the gophers win their next national championship.

Correct.

No one here has even attempted a logical, factual argument on how Wisconsin's success would be a barrier to success at Minnesota. If anything, it boosts our efforts to succeed.

Won't follow mindless haters.

And you'd think with these guys that the U has been neck and neck with Wisconsin. They've won the last 14. It's not even a rivalry anymore. Unless you think we have a legit rivalry with Ohio State too? :rolleyes:

A great example disproving them is Alabama and Auburn. You've all seen, without doubt how Auburn has stepped its game up to match Alabama. Competition forces you to get better. Did Auburn say "let's just stay mediocre and hope Alabama stumbles!" ?? No!

Close friend and relative are Auburn fans. And they wouldn't cheer for Alabama for any reason! Even if it meant the end of college football!

Close friend and relative are Auburn fans. And they wouldn't cheer for Alabama for any reason! Even if it meant the end of college football!

Two completely separate concepts got conflated, which is partly my fault I suppose.

I don’t need or want for Wisconsin to win championships. Rather, my pride in the Big Ten and the lack of guarantee that Ohio State would make it with a win is forcing my hand here.

But I do believe that strong competition drives you to make yourself better than you would be without it. Simple fact: Auburn would not be where it is if Alabama had not gotten as good as it did under Saban. I similarly hope Wisconsin being great drives the Gophers to one day be even greater!

Two completely separate concepts got conflated, which is partly my fault I suppose.

I don’t need or want for Wisconsin to win championships. Rather, my pride in the Big Ten and the lack of guarantee that Ohio State would make it with a win is forcing my hand here.

But I do believe that strong competition drives you to make yourself better than you would be without it. Simple fact: Auburn would not be where it is if Alabama had not gotten as good as it did under Saban. I similarly hope Wisconsin being great drives the Gophers to one day be even greater!

1. I will never understand the B1G pride thing. I've heard it before (though when I hear it from Gopher fans most say "everyone except Wisconsin and Iowa"), but it still doesn't make sense. What is it? What has the B1G done for you that makes you so proud? Pride in your alma mater? Sure, I get that. Pride in your home state? Definitely. Pride in the B1G? I didn't go to those other schools and I'm not from those other states so no.

2. Wisconsin, or any other B1G team, doing well at the point in the season where we are already eliminated does nothing for us. Each year is different. The committees deciding the CFP or NCAA bball tournament participants don't sit there and say "Well, Team X made it last year and they are in the same conference as Team Y so we should probably take Team Y this year." That would be ridiculous, and that's why it doesn't happen.

3. For an example of #2, check Oklahoma's ranking in the CFP. Then check Wisconsin's. Big 12 had no teams in the playoff last year. Big Ten had one. And yet a one-loss Big 12 team sits ahead of an undefeated B1G team. Weird, isn't it? It's almost like previous years don't matter in the current rankings.

4. If you are dead set in your incorrect thinking that it matters that the B1G makes a showing on the national stage, consider this: by both FPI (OSU ranked 2, Wisconsin ranked 8) and Vegas lines (currently OSU -6 vs Wisconsin) the Buckeyes are the better team by a good margin. Meaning that even if Wisconsin makes the playoff they are going to be significant underdogs, more so than Ohio St would be if they managed to sneak in. What is better: Wisconsin making the playoff and losing big in their first game OR no Big Ten team making it at all? The best chance to look good would be for Ohio St to win the B1G championship so that the B1G either doesn't have a playoff team, or is sending it's best team if Ohio St manages to sneak in.

5. Along the same lines as #4, if no B1G team makes the playoff that means more advantageous bowl lineups further down the totem pole. You'd be more likely to be able to brag about your sacred B1G's bowl record without the embarrassment of a blowout on the national stage in the playoff. Cause that matters to you I guess.

6. The Auburn/Alabama thing is a straw man argument. I could name tons of rivalries where one side has been dominant for a long time. There are hundreds of factors that go into it. If a sports team needs their rival to be good in order to motivate them to be better then they should probably just quit. And if that is in fact the case with the Gophers then I don't see how watching Wisconsin win the B1G would make a difference if 14 straight losses to them hasn't done the trick already.

1 - really? Are you really so naive to not understand that $40-50 MILLION flows from the Big Ten to the U of Minnesota athletic dept, every year?? And you have the gall to turn around and say "what do you do for us, man?" Sheesh

2/3 - That is ridiculous, and no one was suggesting it is or should be the case. I'm suggesting something completely different than that, and much more general. Namely, that tough competition forces you to get better.

4 - irrelevant when all I care about is that the Big Ten makes it. I don't care about how they show in the game. It would be a considerable stain and insult to the Big Ten to be completely left out of the playoff this year.

5 - bowl games are exhibition games. Sure, it's nice for the Big Ten team to win, but they're just for entertainment, as far as the results of the game are concerned.

6 - Utter nonsense. Competition drives you to get better.

Top Bottom