J.D Spielman

Tubbyapolis

Reaction score
Go get him PJ! (Assuming he decides to transfer of course)

IMG_5692.jpghttp://twitter.com/jdspielman10/status/934973186004979713

Sure, if JD wants to come home to Mpls and be closer to Dad and family ... I'm quite certain that Fleck would let him earn a starting spot on the team.

Wow would he be a massive get. He would instantly become our #1 WR, and that ranking/standing wouldn't even be close. For a 5'9 player, he sure is explosive and he sure does make plays. 200 yards receiving vs. Ohio State??? Heck yeah, sign me up for some of that!

That said, I feel the immediate need to put on my Gopher-colored 'reality glasses' and say no way he'd ever come here. I can dream though...

I don't see him being willing to sit out a year.

Would love to have Spielman but I doubt he leaves. Frost's offense is great for WRs.

I don't see him being willing to sit out a year.

Don't you have to sit out 2 years if you transfer within the same conference? Or has that rule changed?

No Nebraska coach is likely to throw it as much as Riley, except Leach. But if Frost shows up, Spielman would surely stay and there is little reason to think he'd leave his team no matter who shows up. Nebraska is going to spend money to get a winning head coach from 1A, not 1B or 2, and not an assistant.

Nebraska has him on the track for the NFL. I doubt he would leave.

I do however recall a PJ interview going into their game with Nebraska. He was talking about how much he would loved to have JD on his team. It stuck out as odd to me...almost sounded like he thought he had a chance at getting him to transfer, or that it was a shot at the previous regime. But I just dismissed it, feeling I was inventing something in my mind that wasnt there...which is probably the case, but...maybe...?

Nebraska has him on the track for the NFL. I doubt he would leave.

I do however recall a PJ interview going into their game with Nebraska. He was talking about how much he would loved to have JD on his team. It stuck out as odd to me...almost sounded like he thought he had a chance at getting him to transfer, or that it was a shot at the previous regime. But I just dismissed it, feeling I was inventing something in my mind that wasnt there...which is probably the case, but...maybe...?

I forget what PJ said, but he was well aware of Spielman.

PJ has made big efforts to connect with the Vikings, so it's not odd PJ was familiar with him for a while.

No idea what transfer rules are though.

I do however recall a PJ interview going into their game with Nebraska. He was talking about how much he would loved to have JD on his team. It stuck out as odd to me...almost sounded like he thought he had a chance at getting him to transfer, or that it was a shot at the previous regime.

He said they need to keep guys like him in the state.
It was probably also the way a coach has to candidly let a guy know that if he's wants to come home he has a coach that will work with him on it.

It's hard to imagine NE without JD. He's the only thing that went right for NE all year.

I doubt he could get a waiver from the one year sit-out rule for transferring. But it's not impossible ... his dad obviously has high up connections, and the coach that recruited him there was fired. So that might be a chance.

Without that, I agree it's probably not reasonable to expect him to have to sit out a year.

There is no such thing as sitting out two years for in-conference transfers. Rather, I think a school can simply stipulate that you can't transfer to schools X, Y, Z, as a condition of releasing you from your scholarship.

Lastly, the idea that Scott Frost has magic pixie dust is laughable. Throwing the ball is throwing the ball, even in the triple option. If you can catch the ball and run with it, the coach will work a play or two in there to throw it to you. Frost won't doesn't have some magic offense that will get Spielman even more yards than he's already getting.

So you think he is staying? Or going FCS?

An FBS transfer would require sitting out a season. As skauma pointed out above, it appears that Spielman is on an NFL track, and given that, he is not going to sit a year, nor is he going to transfer down a division. THAT would be insane.

An FBS transfer would require sitting out a season. As skauma pointed out above, it appears that Spielman is on an NFL track, and given that, he is not going to sit a year, nor is he going to transfer down a division. THAT would be insane.
Don’t think it is that insane. If he doesn’t like new coach, he might leave.
I don’t think he will, but if he did it is not insane.

People get drafted from FCS

Don’t think it is that insane. If he doesn’t like new coach, he might leave.
I don’t think he will, but if he did it is not insane.

People get drafted from FCS

Yes, but Dad is in the biz.... NFL draft position = $$$. Playing FCS competition could have some adverse effect on his eventual draft position, unless his last year is Carson Wentz like.

What did I miss? Has he indicated that he is thinking of transferring?

Unless the rule changed recently, players were allowed to transfer to other schools without penalty if the head coach for their school was fired. There is a certain window of opportunity that they have to declare if they are going or not.

Unless the rule changed recently, players were allowed to transfer to other schools without penalty if the head coach for their school was fired. There is a certain window of opportunity that they have to declare if they are going or not.

Q: If my coach leaves, can I transfer and immediately be eligible?
No. Contrary to popular belief, the departure of a coaching staff member does not grant a
student-athlete relief from the residence requirement on transferring.
However, there is a transfer exception for student-athletes transferring from institutions
that discontinue a sport, never sponsored the sport while the student-athlete was in
attendance, or reclassified the sport from NCAA Division I to Division III.
There also are other transfer exceptions (e.g., non-recruited student exception, return to
original institution without participation exception, two-year nonparticipation exception,
military service/church mission exception, etc.) that student-athletes may qualify for and
should consult their institution's compliance coordinator or call the NCAA membership
services staff for more information.

If JD really wanted to come to Minnesota and not sit out, I am sure he'd just walk-on. I don't think you'd have to sit out then right?

I think the biggest issue for JD is going to be who is throwing the football.

If JD really wanted to come to Minnesota and not sit out, I am sure he'd just walk-on. I don't think you'd have to sit out then right?

I doubt it. That would open up a new can of worms.

If this is true, today’s news should help.

JD’s dad should be able to help with tuition for a year. Let’s make it happen.

He said they need to keep guys like him in the state.
It was probably also the way a coach has to candidly let a guy know that if he's wants to come home he has a coach that will work with him on it.

It's hard to imagine NE without JD. He's the only thing that went right for NE all year.

We are likely thinking of different interviews. In the one I heard, he straight up said "I would love to have him on this team."

No, even if you walk on you still have to sit out two full semesters (summer semester doesn't count) before you can play.

The sit-out rule means you can’t play in games, but can be on scholarship and practice. I think that’s right.

Don’t think there’s any possible way he could transfer to Minn without sitting out next year. And so, that almost guarantees it won’t happen.

Isn't there a hardship waiver of some sort?

Nebraska would have to sign off on it, but he could say he's too scared of the corn fields. Everyone would understand.
Transfer granted.

There are absolutely waivers. I would say the NCAA is capable of granting a waiver for almost any rule in the rulebook. But as someone posted, it is very unlikely for a waiver to be granted simply because the head coach leaves.

There are absolutely waivers. I would say the NCAA is capable of granting a waiver for almost any rule in the rulebook. But as someone posted, it is very unlikely for a waiver to be granted simply because the head coach leaves.

For example, UNC can basically offer classes and give grades for free but Minnesota cannot let an advisor write a paper. If the situation was reversed and JD was at Minnesota he would have no problem getting a waiver to play at Nebraska.

Top Bottom