All Things Gopher Transfers

Who was the JUCO QB that Claeys brought in, but didn't stay on the team when Fleck came? Did he transfer to another school?

Who was the JUCO QB that Claeys brought in, but didn't stay on the team when Fleck came? Did he transfer to another school?

Ended up back at a JUCO (Southwest Mississippi). Played WR for them.

Neil McLaurin (West Jones High School-Laurel, MS) was named 1st Team All-Region, 1st Team All-South and 2nd Team Returner (South). He led the Bears with 36 receptions for 688 yards and five touchdowns. He returned 18 kickoffs for 513 yards (28.5 yards per return). He was 2nd in the NJCAA with 181.9 all-purpose yards per game and was 5th in receiving with 86 yards per game.

You are correct. Also, seems likely that (lower level) is where he'd go for a variety of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, will be shocked if he lands anywhere else at the FBS level, he needs to drop down to a lower level where he can be successful and play right away.

Ended up back at a JUCO (Southwest Mississippi). Played WR for them.

Neil McLaurin (West Jones High School-Laurel, MS) was named 1st Team All-Region, 1st Team All-South and 2nd Team Returner (South). He led the Bears with 36 receptions for 688 yards and five touchdowns. He returned 18 kickoffs for 513 yards (28.5 yards per return). He was 2nd in the NJCAA with 181.9 all-purpose yards per game and was 5th in receiving with 86 yards per game.

McLaurin is an athlete. Not sure how he would have done at QB here (under TC's system) but he certainly has talent. Would have liked him to try DB here.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My favorite special teamer. I’m surprised the staff didn’t try him at D-end, given the lack of size, particularly in the depth.

McLaurin is an athlete. Not sure how he would have done at QB here (under TC's system) but he certainly has talent. Would have liked him to try DB here.

Hope it all works out for him, bad luck, bad timing on what happened at the U.

My favorite special teamer. I’m surprised the staff didn’t try him at D-end, given the lack of size, particularly in the depth.

I liked Waters too. A little too short to play d end i think. MLB probably his most natural position.

Today's StarTrib has a note about Waters transferring, and that he joins Croft, Still, Register, and Holland as players transferring so far.

Nothing mentioned about Brooks. So, it hasn't been confirmed yet by the big media if he's retiring, transferring, or staying ...

What was Kill's first year transfer number again?

You sure? If I were a gambling person, I'd bet that Kill did some of the same things Fleck is doing: find out who was using, then help the guys that are using but aren't buying in find the door. And as for the partying, it wasn't as out of control as when Brewster. So there's that, I guess.

The poster you're responding to is Tyler Moore's dad, so I'm guessing he has some idea what he's talking about.

Add Everett Williams to the list of transfers.

I’m thinking once February signing period has past PJ Fleck will have 40 new players on this team including WO’s

He's been on that list since Saturday

Could somebody post a running list once in awhile of the group?
Jaylen Waters
Demry Croft
Everett Williams
Hunter Register
Rashad Still
Holland
Connelly retired due to concussions? medical for sure
Speculation Brooks may have to stop playing? where's that at?
who else? there are couple more?

I think we may see a few more transfers before next season. PJ Fleck is on a fast track to change in player personnel whether planned or not. Some change was deliberate on his part. Some kids either are disgruntled or do not see a fit. Being honest about the chances of playing time, etc... You expect attrition every time you see a coaching chance. Some changes are unfortunate due to health reasons. But, I believe he is also cleaning house as part of his rebuilding process.

There is a fine balancing act. You want the players in the program to succeed in every way possible to becoming good students and fine men. There will be bumps on the road. You have players with different maturity levels and socioeconomic background. You can't baby sit everyone of them.

What you can do is enlist players who become leaders to help impose team discipline. That is what I like about PJ Fleck's leadership council of players. He is teaching kids how to become leaders. That is why the QBs and captains as leaders is so important. They set the tone. You will still lose a few players once in a while. You've got about 105 players or so to worry about - academics, disciplinary issues, emotional needs, nutrition, player development, etc...

On the other hand, you have a multi-million dollar enterprise to run that the entire U is dependent on being successful. Championships bring good things a university and its athletics program. You just need to do it the right way. What has happened at Baylor University is an example of what happens when a program lost its soul.

Coaching is only a part of a head coach's worries.

Could somebody post a running list once in awhile of the group?
Jaylen Waters
Demry Croft
Everett Williams
Hunter Register
Rashad Still
Holland
Connelly retired due to concussions? medical for sure
Speculation Brooks may have to stop playing? where's that at?
who else? there are couple more?

Your list is up to date. I haven't heard anything more on Brooks or anyone else yet.

You can expect attrition basically every year, not just when there is a coaching change. Other than Croft I think any of the players could see the writing on the wall that a lot of playing time in the near future was highly unlikely for them. They don't need that illustrated by the head coach. I don't believe it is Fleck clearing house. Some of these kids might not like going to school here or may have a million other reasons to transfer.

Pretty much all the transfers live quite far from here, could also be a factor.

You can expect attrition basically every year, not just when there is a coaching change. Other than Croft I think any of the players could see the writing on the wall that a lot of playing time in the near future was highly unlikely for them. They don't need that illustrated by the head coach. I don't believe it is Fleck clearing house. Some of these kids might not like going to school here or may have a million other reasons to transfer.

Could it be the coach and player had honest conversations in which PJ said, Love having you on the team. You're a great person. I'm not going to play you very much this upcoming year. You can stay, or if you want to play more, we can help find a better spot for you.

Could it be the coach and player had honest conversations in which PJ said, Love having you on the team. You're a great person. I'm not going to play you very much this upcoming year. You can stay, or if you want to play more, we can help find a better spot for you.

Sure that could be, I'm just saying I don't think they are being "ran off". They might not even be having a conversation like that, they could just be reading the clear writing on the wall. I mean these players are pretty buried on the depth chart, they can see that, and like I said, playing time might have little/nothing to do with their life choice.

I mean, do any of the transfers since the season has ended really surprise anyone? I mean, yeah Croft played the rest of the season after Sparty but it's not like him and PJ were suddenly best buddies. If you want to mark him as a surprising one, that's fine but the others like Still, Waters, Holland, Register, Williams... that's been known for quite some time. Different reasons among them of course but those have been obvious for a while.

Top Bottom