All Things Gopher Transfers

Someone posted about the door incident on GopherHole back when it happened, along the lines of Croft was there when it happened, it really scared the ladies that were inside the dorm room, and that the next day Croft came back to apologize for the incident. I agree with GoldMember, that tweet certainly doesn't help his transfer options. Should have just said thanks to everyone and how he's looking forward to the future.

Ummmm really? A door gets broken. Seems unclear who did it? And he's off the team, no contact for three weeks? Then he's back on. Then he plays every snap. Circumstances could explain a suspension but how does it benefit Demry, his teammates, the program to kick him off the team for it with no contact/access...and then welcome him back? And then play him? That makes no sense to me.
And for all you weed conspiracy guys, doesn't seem that was it.
Very happy with Vic and Demry may not do well as a backup but it's strange.
Good luck to Demry.

You're right, makes no sense! Not much of any of this does.

Ok.

My guess is there was a broken door. DC got blamed.
Fleck wasn't as worried about who actually broke the door, but why was DC in a situation like that where he's hanging around with people who broke a door (and any other activity that was happening at the time).

Ok. Since we are guessing....

My guess is also there was a broken door and DC got blamed. I also agree that PJ likely wasn't worried about who actually broke the door. However, I speculate he was more interested in the opportunity to show the team that he was super duper serious about this "culture" thing. I mean even a co-starter at QB is held accountable!

To be fair, it was well reported at the time that it wasn't a one time thing that got DC suspended. Therefore, PJ likely had (good) reason to suspend him whether or not he was the one that broke the door. 2-sides to every story for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still tweets out with classy tweet saying best 2.5 years of his life, but must take a new path. Croft only one not taking the high road.

Maybe Still did something wrong? Maybe Croft is falsely accused of something he didn't do? Or maybe there is lots to the story we don't know? If you have ever been falsely accused and painted guilty...it sucks.
It happens. Take Greg Schiano, life's hard.

Ummmm really? A door gets broken. Seems unclear who did it? And he's off the team, no contact for three weeks? Then he's back on. Then he plays every snap. Circumstances could explain a suspension but how does it benefit Demry, his teammates, the program to kick him off the team for it with no contact/access...and then welcome him back? And then play him? That makes no sense to me.
And for all you weed conspiracy guys, doesn't seem that was it.
Very happy with Vic and Demry may not do well as a backup but it's strange.
Good luck to Demry.

He was never kicked off the team.

For what it's worth, I heard the suspension was still related to weed. My source, who has a brother on the team said the weed incident still exsisted. Could have been a combination of the door and smoking. Who knows, but my guess is the suspension was a combination of a couple of things.

What size fraction 7/8? 1/2? Please explain to us with your great knowledge of life.
You don’t think his next coach will care why he’s leaving his previous school? I don’t think you know how life works.

Some fraction. Do you really think more coaches/programs will be interested in him after that tweet? If not, why do it?

And yes, coaches will care. Deeply. But he'll have ample opportunity to explain himself.

After airing his skid-marked underwear on twitter he's going to be explaining himself to much more desperate coaches than he would have been.

Some fraction. Do you really think more coaches/programs will be interested in him after that tweet? If not, why do it?

And yes, coaches will care. Deeply. But he'll have ample opportunity to explain himself.

After airing his skid-marked underwear on twitter he's going to be explaining himself to much more desperate coaches than he would have been.

You don't think any coach that he contacts would have asked him about why he was suspended even before he tweeted this out? He was going to have to speak to that no matter where he went. Now at least other programs know why he wasn't part of the team for a few weeks.

LOL.

I’ll take the best players on my team. Until Minnesota high schools gets good at football, I don’t really care about getting Minnesota kids.

Go to Texas, California, Florida, etc and make relationships there.

Our odds of landing Minnesota kids is substantially greater. Many want to stay home and grew up Gopher fans.

Of all the reasons to quit a football program, this has to be the funniest I have read in a long time.

The insider guys have been said that the old regime looked the other way on weed and ridiculous partying and PJ does not. I believe there were whispers that this was more than a first offense with Demry as well.

I’d bet he’s saying he got suspended for the door thing to deflect from some other things...

Good for him for walking away from this crap. It's going to be real tough as a football player at this University.

Leave your apartment and hang out with the regular students for a night and you'll wake up the next morning to find you're a hardened rapist and drug addict that has to sit out and be slandered/libeled from all angles until you can come up with some undeniable proof of your innocence (not vice versa). Then, some man-hating liberal will write a biased report about the huge issues with your behavior on campus, which will purposefully be leaked to local media. Your face will be plastered on Good Morning America and ESPN as a rapist.

Because that's good "culture."

By all means, actual transgressions should be punished. But as a young man, why would you want to go somewhere that is setting a precedent of punish first, ask questions later? A place that will throw you and your personal life under the bus for the opportunity to stand up amongst their peers and say, "look at me, I'm the most righteous."

+1
Haha. And I thought I was cynical. Peej has some work to do to calm the masses.

You don't think any coach that he contacts would have asked him about why he was suspended even before he tweeted this out? He was going to have to speak to that no matter where he went. Now at least other programs know why he wasn't part of the team for a few weeks.

We apparently just disagree on whether tweeting the details of your side of a disagreement with your former coach makes you more or less attractive to prospective future coaches.

If his tweets looked like the other two who transferred... no blame, all praise, all positive, all grateful, wouldn't you feel better about where his head is at if you're a coach?

Have you seen what kids put on twitter? This was not an AJ Barker manifesto. Thanked some people, said he was being punished for something he didn’t do and it was an uncomfortable situation, so he was leaving. Not that big of deal.

Have you seen what kids put on twitter? This was not an AJ Barker manifesto. Thanked some people, said he was being punished for something he didn’t do and it was an uncomfortable situation, so he was leaving. Not that big of deal.

+1

I agree that it's not a deal-breaker. I think kids have had to get much more social-media savvy in the last few years and know better than to go "Full-AJBarker".

Still, if you're a coach, I think his tweet raises more questions (about him) than it answers. I just assumed he had put it all this past him. I think many coaches would have assumed that too.

I cheered for him for many hours. I hope his next chapter is a great one.

+1
Haha. And I thought I was cynical. Peej has some work to do to calm the masses.

Ok. I'm not quite how this Gopherhole stuff works yet, but Heracles has a valid point.

I personally know of a kid who was accused of sexual assault a year after it happened who told me that that there was no possible way. Zero chance. He said this girl got into the women's studies program and thinks that they encourage women to convict men. Sort of a badge of honor if you can destroy a man. He can finish his degree at the U after this year. Kind of sad.

I don't think what DC tweeted is horrible.
He'll find a place to play.

Wish him good luck.

Going back to the incident, if a door got broke, and girls were afraid (after all the negative pub last year), PJ has no choice but to nip it in the bud.

If you were brought in as a coach after last year, you're not going to gain a lot of credibility on looking the other way when girls in a dorm or an apartment were frightened by some possible actions by a football player or a friend of his.

Rumors from some people who know players on the team is that we have another 6 transfers coming besides Croft, Still, and Holland. Could be close to 10 transfers or guys quitting team, which would explain Fleck getting 28 recruits with only 18 scholarships. Also heard that at least 2 of the transfers are current defense starters.

One other items is that I hear is there are some significant issues with Fleck and some of the MSHSL coaches while I was at the state high school playoffs. The Kill/Claeys staff had really good in state relationships. They said that Fleck basically badmouths the level of players in the state of Minnesota and does nothing to build relationships with the in-state coaches and that he is more focused on Illinois. Take it for what it is worth, but one coach told me look for all of the top 2019 and 2020 players to end up at Iowa and Wisconsin because those staffs have the relationships in state like Kill/Claeys did, and Flecks staff doesn't give the in-state guys any time.

A few of things:
1) there are as many coaches who like Fleck more than Claeys and Kill than like him less. Including people on 5 of the 7 coaching staffs I know coaches on.
2) one reason Fleck isn’t giving players much time is because the state is really down right now. A team that went 2-6 5 years ago would likely have been a top 10 team in the state this year in 6A. The metro just doesn’t have that many good football players right now.
3) comparing flecks in State ties to kill’s is a ridiculous effort. Kill quit and isn’t coming back unless you know something I don’t know

A few of things:
1) there are as many coaches who like Fleck more than Claeys and Kill than like him less. Including people on 5 of the 7 coaching staffs I know coaches on.
2) one reason Fleck isn’t giving players much time is because the state is really down right now. A team that went 2-6 5 years ago would likely have been a top 10 team in the state this year in 6A. The metro just doesn’t have that many good football players right now.
3) comparing flecks in State ties to kill’s is a ridiculous effort. Kill quit and isn’t coming back unless you know something I don’t know

I don't know any high school coaches.

Didn't high school coaches complain about Mason as well?
That was the deal with him, wasn't it? They thought Mason was too arrogant.

But then also, as a University, how can you let these so called criminals graduate with a University of Minnesota degree? I think that the program is trash and could never hold up in a court of law. That's why the one year suspension for the person I know. Absolute garbage though. I wish his parents had the money to fight it.

I don't know any high school coaches.

Didn't high school coaches complain about Mason as well?
That was the deal with him, wasn't it? They thought Mason was too arrogant.
I wasn’t really involved in high school football at that point so I don’t really know.
I do know Kill’s reputation among high school coaches is vastly overrated. I am not saying it is bad, but to pretend like everyone liked him is just not reality. Some heavy hitters love him. Particularly people who run the coaches association loved Kill, which perpetuates the rumor everyone does. Only issue is, not everyone who coaches love the coaches who run the coaches association. So they don’t necessarily all share the same opinion.

I’d say on average more people liked Kill than disliked Kill. I think almost everyone thought Kill was a solid coach.
I wouldn’t say everyone loved Kill. I wouldn’t say everyone thought Kill was a great coach.
I’d say people are still getting to know Fleck but that many like him and some don’t.

You're wrong on this board like dozen times a day. In this case three times in one post.

I wish him the best too. But if you think posting any portion of his side of the story on twitter does him any good you don't get how life works. No one cares about a door. Least of all, his next coach. That tweet just cut his transfer options into a small fraction of what they were an hour ago.
LOL, drama queens unite!

This is actually a huge deal. Didn’t you know we won 9 games last year?!

Top Bottom