All Things Gopher Transfers

If they were drug users, they would've been gone. Remember Jewhan Edwards and his Jew-Jew crew? Jerry Kill pretty much kicked them off the team except Ra'Shede Hageman.

The thing I like about Jerry Kill is how he approaches his players. He treats them differently individually and with heart. Some, he knows to handle with kid gloves. For some, he knows he can push full throttle. Each kid come from diverse family backgrounds, maturity level, and emotional state.

He and Rebecca truly act like second parents. Didn't they have some players over for a meal at their house when they are lonely or homesick?

I don't know if PJ Fleck is like that. He'll learn real quickly that you can lost kids rather quickly if their psychological needs are not being met.

He's been doing this five years as a head coach and several more as an assistant...I don't think he's changing much. What I've learned in one year is he is going to do it his way...until he changes his mind....and says oh, wait I'm going to do it this way. In one 12 minute press conference he'll argue for two opposing philosophies. Lots and lots of deception and insecurity, but his looped mantra of 6 head coaches in 11 years got him a one year extension in year zero. Kudos to PJ. If it eventually works for PJ, it truly will be his way, because no coach could ever duplicate the paths he goes down. Or would want to.

I don't know if PJ Fleck is like that. He'll learn real quickly that you can lost kids rather quickly if their psychological needs are not being met.

You are aware that Fleck has 4 years of HC experience prior to Minnesota, right?

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous argument. This is right up there with, "Croft's running ability makes the running game more effective" argument.

Against Iowa - Gophers rush for 144 yards

Against Michigan - Gophers rush for 91 yards

Against Northwestern - Gophers rush for 139 yards

Against Wisconsin - Gophers rush for 93 yards

Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but at this point, it's virtually impossible to look back with the information available and say that Croft gave the Gophers the best chance to win in each of the games he started this year. He was the worst QB the Gophers have trotted out in decades.

I'd agree Croft is a very poor QB, but he was aided by horrible game plans in those games. Worse offensive schemes than any in recent years which is also a pretty low threshold.

I'd agree Croft is a very poor QB, but he was aided by horrible game plans in those games. Worse offensive schemes than any in recent years which is also a pretty low threshold.

You mean the same schemes that everybody in college football pretty much knows and runs?

Scheme =\= Gameplan

Purportedly he won't lose this year as he'll likely qualify for a medical hardship waiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could see Winfield leaving. There really isn't anything keeping him up to stay at the U. After last season's debacle, and Coyle still being the AD, a player of Winfield's caliber he Wii have competitive options this offseason. If coach Claey's gets another DC job there could be some players that follow him there. Nebraska should hire Claey's as the DC, they could use him. Winfield is from Texas I could see him easily moving on to TCU. If Kill stays at Rutgers we could lose some his guys to a place he would move to.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I could see Winfield leaving. There really isn't anything keeping him up to stay at the U. After last season's debacle, and Coyle still being the AD, a player of Winfield's caliber he Wii have competitive options this offseason. If coach Claey's gets another DC job there could be some players that follow him there. Nebraska should hire Claey's as the DC, they could use him. Winfield is from Texas I could see him easily moving on to TCU. If Kill stays at Rutgers we could lose some his guys to a place he would move to.

Your reasoning is ridiculous. If points you made were valid why would Winfield have wasted a year and stayed this year since those points applied last year too?

Since people are just throwing out names with no basis then I'll do the same. I think Carpenter is going to leave. He missed some field goals late, there must be something going on behind the scenes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Everyone saw what Fleck did last year at WMU and most of us thought, "Oh boy, what will he do with B1G talent?" This included writers, players and fans. Fleck, however, was pretty straight with his expectations. He told us it would be a down year and he spoke truth. He ran the team for his and our future. He did not run it to make the departing upper class feel better about their experience in Minnesota. I think he burned 5 redshirts and he could have burned a bunch more and likely won another game for bowl eligibility. Not doing so was the right decision. We have some good people coming back. We have some good people coming off redshirt seasons, we have good people coming off injuries and we will find out in three weeks, or so, that we have a very good incoming freshman class. Our best in at least 10 years, many of whom will play right away.

This program is moving in the right direction. Given my age, it's at the right time, too. Let's cool the gnashing of teeth and the howling at the moon. The fun is just beginning!

You dismiss everyone who doesn’t fit your narrative. There is something to take away from people who think differently than you. Denigrating the work of those before you, no matter your profession, does no good. I have heard the same thing from a number of coaches, who across the state thought highly of previous regime. Doesn’t have to sink PJ, but he does have to build relationships, and stop talking negatively about current players and past regime - even if that has not been his intent, it is what people hear.

Funny stuff coming from someone who dismisses any positive narrative about Fleck and believes that every negative narrative is absolute truth.

Funny stuff coming from someone who dismisses any positive narrative about Fleck and believes that every negative narrative is absolute truth.

Not really. Unlike even some of the "flecksters" - a term that is unnecessary and I have never used before - have been critical of his in-game coaching. I haven't. We will see where he goes and what his philosophy is offensively and defensively. I've just said I don't believe in him as a leader based on some of the things he says and does. That doesn't mean I disagree with everything he does with the program.

After missing most of this year due to injury he would have to sit out again next year if he transfers, using up a year of eligibility. Doesn't seem likely.

Isn't anything keeping him here? Do you know his relationship with Fleck? I thought I had heard that the first player that P.J. reached out to after he became coach was Winfield.

Can someone provide a list of all the players who have announced they are transferring? I don't want to sift through the 11 pages of mostly speculation.

Can someone provide a list of all the players who have announced they are transferring? I don't want to sift through the 11 pages of mostly speculation.

Croft
Connelly -Retired
Still

Croft
Connelly -Retired
Still

Okay, I knew about Croft and Connelly, but not Still. Where is the information about him transferring? I don't see anything on his twitter.

Gone
Croft
Still
Register
Holland (Grad Transfer)
Everett Williams (Grad Transfer)

Retired
Connelly

Okay, I knew about Croft and Connelly, but not Still. Where is the information about him transferring? I don't see anything on his twitter.

Not sure it's confirmed, but speculation is he is suspended and won't be back. I assume others would be after the semester is over.

PJ has gone out of his way to say more positive about Winfield than any other player.
Sure he could go, but who knows.

I'm a big Fleck fan but I find issues with his game day coaching but to me it's such a small factor at this point compared to all of the other work of building the program.

1. Marketing - excellent job
2. Recruiting - Full effort. No doubt he isn't one of the hardest working recruiters out there.
3. Work ethic - I don't think he could work any harder. I'd be worried if he didn
4. Off the field leadership - class GPA is good. Kids staying out of trouble. Seems to be a huge difference compared to how the football team was perceived.
5. Community outreach - excellent
6. Player development / coaching - maybe average. First year didn't show too much.
7. Program vision - I believe he has a broad futuristic view and he's working the plan to get there.

I think he's excelling on steps 1-5. #6 is too early to tell but not great so far.

Still leaving is not a surprise. Like Croft he was a project guy that hasn't really panned out. Maybe it will click for him somewhere else.

Even if there were any legs to this idea. . . do you really think he wants to sit out pretty much two full seasons?

Man. Could we start a different thread that only had the running tally of the people who are actually leaving? Some people's logic is fascinating, but I'm sure they would say the same about mine!

I don't think it's hard to see what the most likely chain of events were with Croft, and frankly I think both sides probably learned what they needed to this year. I have no ill will about the decision to try him out for a half season. Now we know.

Same with Still. Are you upset he's leaving?

People need to calm down IMO. Good lord, between this and the 5 on 3 hoops scandal, you'd swear neither program was ever going to win another game.

From my view, Fleck pretty much has been as forthcoming as he could have been going into this year, and to the guys taking shots at him for doing it his way.....do you not think that's the best way to go about your career as a head coach?

To take a line from my least favorite NFL player.....everyone needs to R-E-L-A-X.......relax.

Hunter Register is transferring per twitter.

Hunter sounds like he has his head together, a good kid. I wish him the very best.

I was listening to Reusse just a few minutes ago. I think he had Andy Greder on.

Reusse was saying (non-sarcastically) that several of the transfers were invited to leave by the coach.

Greder agreed and said that Croft probably could have stayed but with Vic coming it was okay if he didn't want to.

Rumors from some people who know players on the team is that we have another 6 transfers coming besides Croft, Still, and Holland. Could be close to 10 transfers or guys quitting team, which would explain Fleck getting 28 recruits with only 18 scholarships. Also heard that at least 2 of the transfers are current defense starters.

One other items is that I hear is there are some significant issues with Fleck and some of the MSHSL coaches while I was at the state high school playoffs. The Kill/Claeys staff had really good in state relationships. They said that Fleck basically badmouths the level of players in the state of Minnesota and does nothing to build relationships with the in-state coaches and that he is more focused on Illinois. Take it for what it is worth, but one coach told me look for all of the top 2019 and 2020 players to end up at Iowa and Wisconsin because those staffs have the relationships in state like Kill/Claeys did, and Flecks staff doesn't give the in-state guys any time.

The fact is that Minnesota doesn’t produce very many division one football players. PJ shouldn’t have to kiss ass to get guys who are barely 3 star recruits. I don’t care where the players are from as long as they win.

The fact is that Minnesota doesn’t produce very many division one football players. PJ shouldn’t have to kiss ass to get guys who are barely 3 star recruits. I don’t care where the players are from as long as they win.

I have no idea if there is any truth to gotomn's post about issues with Fleck and the MSHL coaches.

However, yes, he should. These are the local coaches. Pretty much our best chance at a 4 star recruit is if he happens to be from MN. We need to be able to recruit MN well to be effective. Your mindset is bizarre.

Top Bottom