Hope for Next Year Thread...

If it's true that Croft is transferring, what a huge mistake by PJ to play him all year.

Why? They were going to redshirt Morgan regardless. Green doesn't have a future at QB here.

Averaging 9 per season over the next two years is absolutely doable. I expect the Gophs to be better next year with an easier schedule. 2019 schedule might be even easier than 2018. I expect the Gophs to be a lot better in 2019.

You are funny.

I think TE position as pass catchers is in play with with Kirk. Rhoda seemed to be able to find them effectively and Croft tried a few times but they were mostly dropped.

Croft leaving isn’t a big deal. There’s uncertainty at QB. Croft staying or leaving doesn’t matter.

Isn't that why Coyle hired Fleck? To elevate the program beyond where it has been the past several years?

I know you are just trying to instigate for some strange reason. The answer is that ten or eleven wins is absolutely the goal but if this happens before 2020 color me very impressed.

Why? They were going to redshirt Morgan regardless. Green doesn't have a future at QB here.

First, it's not PJ's fault, assuming he had no knowledge of Croft quitting (if true).

I would argue we would have had more potential with Rhoda. Or just take the redshirt off Morgan and get him some experience.

Nice recap Gault. You're spot on. We'll get better, but its going to take a couple years. Fleck has always said that.

First, it's not PJ's fault, assuming he had no knowledge of Croft quitting (if true).

I would argue we would have had more potential with Rhoda. Or just take the redshirt off Morgan and get him some experience.

Rhoda wouldn't have ran the way Croft did against Nebraska. Getting Morgan experience with no WR's and a bad OL would have been a bad idea for a true Freshman. I'm happy he and the majority of the Freshman redshirted.

The coach doesn't even have hope for next year, apparently. Why should anyone else?

Way too many moving parts to be better next year. 5 wins seems about right, if they get more and a bowl game that would be improvement. I would say the following year would be the expectation to see the improvement especially if recruiting improves.

Way too many moving parts to be better next year. 5 wins seems about right, if they get more and a bowl game that would be improvement. I would say the following year would be the expectation to see the improvement especially if recruiting improves.

Exactly.

How about two wins? Gotta tamp those expectations way down. Not Brewster down, so make it 2 wins.

You could say that for the 4 seasons before Fleck as well. That's the nature of most P5 college football programs. No different for Fleck. You either can figure it out or you can't. That's what separates successful HCs.

It's a very easy schedule next season.

New Mexico State - H
Fresno State - H
Miami of Ohio - H
at Maryland
Iowa - H
at tOSU
at NE
Indiana - H
at IL
Purdue - H
NW - H
at WI

Looks easy compared to previous years, but without a really good QB and some JC recruiting, potential losses are MD, Iowa, tOSU, NE, Purdue, NW and WI. Not so easy with the personnel we have and what the coaches showed on offense this year.

Looks easy compared to previous years, but without a really good QB and some JC recruiting, potential losses are MD, Iowa, tOSU, NE, Purdue, NW and WI. Not so easy with the personnel we have and what the coaches showed on offense this year.

How's it different from the 3-4 years before Fleck? There's unknowns every year. No different because it's Fleck.

I think we see significant improvement in the team next year due to the fact that next year everyone on the team will be 100% bought into the culture. Any players who aren't are likely going to transfer. With everyone on the team committed 100% to Fleck's culture, I think we see the team and the coaching staff mesh more, which will lead to more victories.

In PJ Fleck's last press conference he said this:
"Well this was unacceptable tonight, period. The actual performance tonight, unacceptable. There's no way that we're going to look like that next year."
"When you start talking about where we are as a team, remember, my first year as a head coach, we were 1-11"
"You couldn't even see the light at the end of the tunnel, and if you did see the light at the end of the tunnel, it wasn't a light, it was a train coming at you."
"The next year, we flipped it to 8-5. I'm not saying that's going to happen immediately, but we won five games and we were one game away from bowl eligibility."

Fleck isn't as down on next year as many of you think he is. He believes in himself and I believe in him.

I don't have a lot of optimism for next year unless these redshirts are phenomenal from the Claeys / Fleck class.

Our 2015 class is really light (lighter now with Croft leaving). So we'll have very little from a veteran leadership standpoint.
The good news with that is that we SHOULD improve greatly from 2018 to 2019 since we'll barely lose any players.

In PJ Fleck's last press conference he said this:
"Well this was unacceptable tonight, period. The actual performance tonight, unacceptable. There's no way that we're going to look like that next year."
"When you start talking about where we are as a team, remember, my first year as a head coach, we were 1-11"
"You couldn't even see the light at the end of the tunnel, and if you did see the light at the end of the tunnel, it wasn't a light, it was a train coming at you."
"The next year, we flipped it to 8-5. I'm not saying that's going to happen immediately, but we won five games and we were one game away from bowl eligibility."

Fleck isn't as down on next year as many of you think he is. He believes in himself and I believe in him.

You believe in him but are amazed anyone on the 2 deeps would play for him. Interesting take.

PJ Fleck spent _all year_ throwing his players under the bus. Every time I brought this up you all responded "Oh, but he said it's his own fault". That really doesn't matter. Go back and watch his press conferences from the perspective of his players. It's amazing that anyone on the two deep would want to come back and play for this guy. I would be infuriated every time I watched one of those conferences if I played for the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a very easy schedule next season.

New Mexico State - H
Fresno State - H
Miami of Ohio - H
at Maryland -
Iowa - H -
at tOSU -
at NE -
Indiana - H -
at IL -
Purdue - H -
NW - H
at WI

South Dakota St
At Fresno
Georgia Southern

@ Purdue
Illinois
Nebraska
@Rutgers
Maryland
Penn St
@ Iowa
@ NW
Wisconsin

So after 2019, if we're not doing really well, Fleck will have some explaining to do.

2019 should be 3-0 non conference

Road games at Purdue and Rutgers should both be winnable.
Home vs Illinois, Maryland and Nebraska all seem possible.
(lose two of these 5)

@ Iowa, @ NW, Wisc, and PSU will be tougher.
(Win two, Lose two of these)

8-4 should be a conservative number if we track well.

You believe in him but are amazed anyone on the 2 deeps would play for him. Interesting take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup and that's not as much of a paradox as you think. How often do you see Saban palling around with his players?

Over 50 new players in the mix to hit the field next year.

I feel like every game on this schedule is a potential loss without a QB improvement.

I feel like every game on this schedule is a potential loss without a QB improvement.

I mean, Croft is a 50% passer if our receivers are even decent during the last two weeks of the year. Drop after drop after drop. Crap, one of our guys got in the face with a football last week.

I guess I turn to http://csnbbs.com/forum-489-page-76.html
for hope. Interesting scrolling through that board and juxtaposing it with
GH. Similar concerns, criticisms, compliments, and comments.
Even presser quotes. I remain hopeful the process, anxious for recruits, and ready to cheer on and support team.

Top Bottom