STirb: Richard Pitino not blaming Nate Mason; says as HC he has to fight for his guys

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino backed Mason all the way after Saturday’s 89-84 win against the Crimson Tide.

“He was getting into it,” Pitino said. “He was playing good basketball. I called a timeout so we could move on. I’m not sure exactly what happen. But I do know there were a lot of talented players on the court. There were a lot of people talking about Collin Sexton and talking about (John) Petty. They should. They’re talented guys. Nate Mason is just as good as any point guard in the country. And he’s the guy who I want.”

Pitino was called for a technical after Mason was thrown out, but he said “I deserve that.”

“I just told my (team) to calm down,” he said. “But I’ve got to fight for my guys.”

Sexton finished with 23 of his 40 points after Mason left the game for good. But Mason had 20 points, including 11 points on 4-for-4 shooting, including 3-for-3 from three-point range in only six minutes in the second half. He was clearly outplaying Sexton to that point.

Gophers junior forward Jordan Murphy, who was dominating in the first half with 19 points and 12 rebounds, said Mason set the tone for the early 17-point second-half lead.

But then things just got too heated between his teammate and Sexton.

“I think it was just the tension that was around the second half,” Murphy said. “How both teams were very passionate throughout the course of the game. You saw Nate Mason and Collin get into it a little bit. And then all the ejections happened.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...ter-ejection-led-to-bizarre-ending/460091223/

Go Gophers!!

Nobody should have been ejected. T up Pitino if you want but give Mason a chance to get to the bench and calm down. The Camera didn't show the second T and nobody is commenting on what he did to deserve it. My guess is he still was talking smack towards Alabama players? If so, not worthy of an ejection. Ejecting an entire bench was stupid as well. I hope we aren't contracted to play this again next year.

I wouldn't put it past the committee to try and force the Gophers and the Tide into the same regional bracket come March.

Ejecting the bench is a no-brainer. That's a rule that's has to be enforced. Every player in the country now knows if they leave the bench they're gone. I do wish the NCAA had the NBA's rule though for keeping five players on the court -- if you have no subs and pick up your fifth foul you get to keep playing but the other team gets to shoot two extra free throws.

Nobody should have been ejected. T up Pitino if you want but give Mason a chance to get to the bench and calm down. The Camera didn't show the second T and nobody is commenting on what he did to deserve it. My guess is he still was talking smack towards Alabama players? If so, not worthy of an ejection. Ejecting an entire bench was stupid as well. I hope we aren't contracted to play this again next year.

He just wouldn't stop chirping. When the double T's were assessed, Sexton briefly protested but then shut up. Mason kept talking and talking, and just wouldn't stop. It was incredibly undisciplined. I don't blame the ref for the second T on Mason. I think the trigger was way too quick on Pitino's T though, and that really made the situation ridiculous. You just informed the coach his best player was being kicked out of the game, gotta at least give the coach a moment to blow some steam.

We have plenty of grown men...somebody has to pick up Nate and carry him away from the commotion. Protect your guys from themselves. Hopefully, we learn from it and become stronger as a team.

One thing for sure - you can bet that other teams are going to try and get under Mason's skin by chirping at him, and see if they can get his head out of the game.

Mason is going to have to be really disciplined the rest of the year.

I wouldn't put it past the committee to try and force the Gophers and the Tide into the same regional bracket come March.
Bama is not a tournament team. Besides Petty and Sexton, the drop off is precipitous. And the SEC is vastly improved from years past. Bubble team at absolute best.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

One thing for sure - you can bet that other teams are going to try and get under Mason's skin by chirping at him, and see if they can get his head out of the game.

Mason is going to have to be really disciplined the rest of the year.

Pretty sure this was a special circumstance for Mason as both he and Sexton are from Atlanta area and I'm sure either knew of each other or maybe even have played against each other before now.

Bama is not a tournament team. Besides Petty and Sexton, the drop off is precipitous. And the SEC is vastly improved from years past. Bubble team at absolute best.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You're joking right? Alabama will be a bubble team at worst.

The refs let the smack talk go on far too long. Watching the first half I could hear an Alabama player chirping bullsh!t, even though the Gophers were giving them a beat down.
Nate should have let it go, but that ankle breaking drop step and stare was his way of telling Alabama to shut the h3ll up. Instead, Bama kept talking sh!t. Mason, simply had had enough and returned the same sh!t he'd been hearing.
Then...then the refs f&cked the whole thing up by only kicking out Mason. If people are gonna get tossed at that point, then the Bama kid gets tossed as well.
We play Bama again today and we kick their @$$ by 20+. Those refs really screwed the pooch.

He just wouldn't stop chirping. When the double T's were assessed, Sexton briefly protested but then shut up. Mason kept talking and talking, and just wouldn't stop. It was incredibly undisciplined. I don't blame the ref for the second T on Mason. I think the trigger was way too quick on Pitino's T though, and that really made the situation ridiculous. You just informed the coach his best player was being kicked out of the game, gotta at least give the coach a moment to blow some steam.
Most people that were there have said the 2nd T on Mason was a bad quick trigger. He was talking to Gopher players at the time and not Alabama guys. Refs let it build up to that point by not giving Sexton a T earlier when he was yapping even though Bama was getting their butt kicked.

Pretty sure this was a special circumstance for Mason as both he and Sexton are from Atlanta area and I'm sure either knew of each other or maybe even have played against each other before now.

I hadn't even considered that they're both from the same area.

Ejecting the bench is a no-brainer. That's a rule that's has to be enforced. Every player in the country now knows if they leave the bench they're gone. I do wish the NCAA had the NBA's rule though for keeping five players on the court -- if you have no subs and pick up your fifth foul you get to keep playing but the other team gets to shoot two extra free throws.
What I am curious about (I couldn’t view the game) was why didn’t Minnesota empty it’s bench when Alabama emptied their bench? Even if you know you get ejected, don’t teammates protect teammates? 10-12 Alabama players fighting five Gophers would produce a bad outcome and or an injury.

What I am curious about (I couldn’t view the game) was why didn’t Minnesota empty it’s bench when Alabama emptied their bench? Even if you know you get ejected, don’t teammates protect teammates? 10-12 Alabama players fighting five Gophers would produce a bad outcome and or an injury.
How would you like the Minnesota bench to have responded?

Thank god we didn't empty our bench.

How would you like the Minnesota bench to have responded?

Knowing now what we do that no punches were thrown, I’m glad they stayed put. But I only saw the highlights and when Alabama players charged out all I saw was that it could have been ugly real fast for Minnesota players if punches start flying.

Pitino had control of his Bench, Avery didn't. Wasn't impressed with Avery's behavior. But I am stoked about Richard Pitino for understanding his players. Things will be learned from this. Could turn out to be a uniquely valuable opportunity to address a few issues.

Pitino had control of his Bench, Avery didn't. Wasn't impressed with Avery's behavior. But I am stoked about Richard Pitino for understanding his players. Things will be learned from this. Could turn out to be a uniquely valuable opportunity to address a few issues.

Agreed, and I am so thankful no punches got thrown.

The last thing on earth that i want to see, is Lynch or Murph running out onto the court and landing a haymaker on someone. Disaster in so many ways, i'd rather not think of it.

All said, i'm glad it didn't resort to violence, and we walked out with a neutral court win vs a top 25 tourney team. Lots of teaching points in this one.

The radio guys said that Mason was continuing because Avery Johnson and the Bama bench were chirping at him. If that's the case, Johnson and the players on the bench should have been given technicals too. That may have settled things down too. Poor job by the refs.

Well, did they make the right decision or not? How did it turn out?

I blame this on the quick technicals. Let the boys show a little flavor and this whole situation blows over and everyone stays 5-5

Game over. Move on, coach has addressed issues with his team. Support the maroon & gold... go Gophers! Need another win over Miami!!! Will our cheer leader be there?....

At no time did it look like the Alabama bench was going on the floor to actually fight. A couple of them looked like they stepped on the floor to get their guys back and then they all just stood there. The Gopher bench apparently was under control but some of that was probably due to the fact the action was happening in front of the Alabama bench and not ours. Having been at the Barn during the Luke Witte stomping I'm very grateful things didn't get out of hand The guy running to challenge Dupre (Petty?) very much should have been tossed also. Glad he didn't take a swing at Amir.

The radio guys said that Mason was continuing because Avery Johnson and the Bama bench were chirping at him. If that's the case, Johnson and the players on the bench should have been given technicals too. That may have settled things down too. Poor job by the refs.

Guessing it was Avery Jr chirping Mason right?

At no time did it look like the Alabama bench was going on the floor to actually fight. A couple of them looked like they stepped on the floor to get their guys back and then they all just stood there. The Gopher bench apparently was under control but some of that was probably due to the fact the action was happening in front of the Alabama bench and not ours. Having been at the Barn during the Luke Witte stomping I'm very grateful things didn't get out of hand The guy running to challenge Dupre (Petty?) very much should have been tossed also. Glad he didn't take a swing at Amir.

This might come off Petty, pun sort of intended, but I think Karma got him a few minutes on the injury

Top Bottom