No PJ Fleck interview today on the Sports Huddle (11-26-17)

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Dave Mona just announced that PJ Fleck will not appear on the Sports Huddle today on WCCO radio.

He said Fleck is at a banquet. (at 10:30 in the morning?) Mona said Sid Hartman would have a "mystery guest" at 10:30, but did not say if that guest would be Gopher-related.

I will update if there is relevant information.

What is the matter with you SON? I thought you had the reigns on PJ. :confused:

Our morning after isn't complete.

Barry Alvarez was the mystery guest at 10:30.

Highlights - BA: this was one of our better teams at WI. Capable of beating Ohio State.

Talking about athletic dep't as a whole: Need to hire good coaches who understand WI.

Sid: last time MN shut out 2 weeks in a row in 1950. BA: yesterday, I thought our guys did a good job of defending.

BA: my grandson is the starting safety. Got a grandson who is a redshirt FR TE.

Sid: think MN can get program going? BA: don't see any reason why not. have all the tools. it's a place you should be able to recruit to. investing money in new facilities.

Mona: make case for WI in final 4 for playoffs. BA: only 1 power 5 team left undefeated. we still have another game to play. If we win OSU game, don't think there's any way you can keep us out of the playoffs. Played a 9-game conference schedule. (defends non-conference schedule). These people want to put the sexy teams in there. our guys have earned the right to be in the conversation.

BA: had offers to go other places from WI. wanted to stay and build something.

BA: talks about success former players have had, including Darrell Bevell in NFL.

(that's about it. Sid was trying to get Alvarez to evaluate Gopher program, and it was pretty clear Alvarez had no desire to take shots at another B1G program.)

Barry Alvarez was the mystery guest at 10:30.

Highlights - BA: this was one of our better teams at WI. Capable of beating Ohio State.

Talking about athletic dep't as a whole: Need to hire good coaches who understand WI.

Sid: last time MN shut out 2 weeks in a row in 1950. BA: yesterday, I thought our guys did a good job of defending.

BA: my grandson is the starting safety. Got a grandson who is a redshirt FR TE.

Sid: think MN can get program going? BA: don't see any reason why not. have all the tools. it's a place you should be able to recruit to. investing money in new facilities.

Mona: make case for WI in final 4 for playoffs. BA: only 1 power 5 team left undefeated. we still have another game to play. If we win OSU game, don't think there's any way you can keep us out of the playoffs. Played a 9-game conference schedule. (defends non-conference schedule). These people want to put the sexy teams in there. our guys have earned the right to be in the conversation.

BA: had offers to go other places from WI. wanted to stay and build something.

BA: talks about success former players have had, including Darrell Bevell in NFL.

(that's about it. Sid was trying to get Alvarez to evaluate Gopher program, and it was pretty clear Alvarez had no desire to take shots at another B1G program.)

Thanks!

I believe the doors did open for the banquet at 10:30 am today. Also, I think Vic is visiting today. However, in addition to getting shut out back to back for the first time since 1950, PJ also set the record for missed appearances by a Gopher coach on Sports Huddle. A record he'll likely challenge again next year because all signs point to we'll be worse. If he follows through on his plan to redshirt most all the incoming freshmen, how can we improve? There are maybe a couple red shirt freshman who will make an impact but, they gotta replace 12 or so guys who played a lot this year!
I gotta run...got the meeting on expanding TCF stadium I'm late for.

I believe the doors did open for the banquet at 10:30 am today. Also, I think Vic is visiting today. However, in addition to getting shut out back to back for the first time since 1950, PJ also set the record for missed appearances by a Gopher coach on Sports Huddle. A record he'll likely challenge again next year because all signs point to we'll be worse. If he follows through on his plan to redshirt most all the incoming freshmen, how can we improve? There are maybe a couple red shirt freshman who will make an impact but, they gotta replace 12 or so guys who played a lot this year!

If I was PJ I wouldn't waste valuable recruiting/team/family time by going on this show.

I sure hope he red-shirts the whole class. The freshman that come to MN aren't physically ready to contribute much anyway.

PJ does a lot more media that I can remember from other coaches, but I think he has de-prioritized the Sports Huddle. Maybe he is not willing to give up Sunday mornings, maybe he doesn't think it's worth it (demographics/ratings).

People complain because Fleck takes 10 seconds out of practice to get the fists up thing down. Then others complain about all the times he's missed a show in which he pretty much is asked the same thing each week.

I'd rather see him cavorting and enticing recruits and their families. He puts in extremely long hours. Heather seem to be a very supportive spouse.

IMHO, he is taking the long view. He is working on the architectural framework for the future of Gopher Football. He won't sacrifice for the short term by burning too many red shirts.

People complain because Fleck takes 10 seconds out of practice to get the fists up thing down. Then others complain about all the times he's missed a show in which he pretty much is asked the same thing each week.

Not to mention the amount of work needed to try to understand what the hell Sid is trying to say.

Does Sid have a personal care assistant to bring him places? He is a remarkable 97 years young.

And the reason PJ isn't willing to delegate the segment to one of his 15 assistant coaches is? Or somebody from his player leadership council?

Because the show is a complete joke and a total waste of time?

Not counting from week to week with PJ but Mase (who I really enjoy now in his multiple roles) had a penchant for not showing up on Sid-Dave after collossal losses.

That was in the days where they actually took callers live with the coach. Pretty brutal on occassion.

You're sounding like Dan Barrieo again. Thanks Shorty for stepping up to the plate to do this update.

Top Bottom