Game 7: Gophers @ UNLV (11-26-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/112517aab.html

I haven't had a chance to take a look at the Lady Rebels; but here their write up on the Hofstra win. UNLV (4-0) has also defeated Portland State 88-80, UC Irvine 73-54, and Grand Canyon 76-47.

Shades said there a video link so I hope to watch Minnesota go to 7-0.

UNLV blew open a tight game after halftime thanks to a 21-4 run over a nine-minute span to record its fourth straight victory to being the season, 68-52 on Saturday afternoon in the first game of the Lady Rebel Round-Up from the Cox Pavilion. Despite a sub-par performance on the boards compared to its previous games, the Lady Rebels (4-0) used a strong overall defensive effort to record the victory after holding the Pride (2-3) to just 30.6% shooting for the game, and just eight total made field goals in the second half...

...Hofstra stayed close throughout the first half, and led early 8-6 before UNLV scored eight of the first 10 points of the first quarter for a 14-10 edge. The Pride would lead once in the second quarter thanks to an 8-0 run to go up 24-22 with 3:23 on the clock. The Lady Rebels would end the quarter with nine of the final 12 points for a 31-27 halftime advantage.

THE TURNING POINT: Hofstra closed within 36-33 at the 7:23 mark of the third quarter after a jumper by Ashunae Durant. The Pride would go the next four minutes without a point, while UNLV ran off eight straight for a 44-33 edge thanks to back-to-back layups from Nikki Wheatley. UNLV ended the quarter with a 50-37 edge, and then scored the first seven points of the fourth for a 57-37 lead at the 8:23 mark.

pittsunlv1.jpg

Attachments

• pittsunlv1.jpg
    pittsunlv1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1

Tuned in with the Gophers up early, 17-4. Things sure took an ugly turn.

Thanks for the link. This gym makes it look like a high school game. I see our run and gun, preferably a 3 , offense is still in place.

The refs seem to blow the whistle easier for the Gophers in the first half

Edwards and Bello have fouled out so rolling with Lamke in the post. 77-69 with 1:45 left.

UNLV shoots 31 FT to our 10? I hope T. Bello can continue to improve because we are not going to beat a good BIG team shooting 3's all day.

I suppose that any win on the road is an OK win. Seems that Bell could have dished to Pitts for open threes all day. Also seems that none of our post players can finish. Stollings gave more minutes to her bench players today, but probably only because some of her players were in foul trouble. North Carolina is a beatable team, even on the road. They are 3-2 at home so far this year, with losses to Hampton and South Alabama, not exactly power conference schools. Because the Gophers non-conference schedule is so weak, they are going to have to win all or almost all of the non-conference games or their weak schedule could be a problem if they end up on the bubble for a possible NCAA tourney berth. Wednesday afternoon game against NC. That's a bit strange. I wonder if they are running a promo in conjunction with school kids.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/minn-lv.html

Nice road win against a team that would have given them fits last season (quick, physical perimeter players with height at the post). 10-10 from the foul line. 13-36 from three was not great; but effective. And the Gophers won the rebounding battle 46-43.

Taiye Bello showed some fire picking up a technical. (Bringing back memories of UNLV coach Kathy Olivier's ill timed technical at Williams Arena when she was coaching UCLA).

And of course, Destiny Pitts, the tournament MVP, led Minnesota with 22 points. Destiny's 9 rebounds were only topped by Edwards with 13.

Minutes Played (Starters Bolded):

36 Hubbard
36 Wagner
35 Bell
33 Pitts
27 Edwards

13 T Bello
8 Gonzalez (a great pass to Bell which Kiki finished with a nice reverse layup in the 2nd quarter)
5 Brunson
4 Fernstrom
3 Lamke (Was the immediate and correct late game solution when Fernstrom couldn't block out)

*Wagner moved into seventh place on Minnesota's all-time scoring list, passing Molly Tadich. Wagner has 1,719 career points. Janel McCarville (1,835) is one place ahead of her.
*Pitts has 80 rebounds in her first seven collegiate games.
*Minnesota has outrebounded its last six opponents.

Top Bottom