STrib: Gophers Attendance up from 2016

BleedGopher

Reaction score

I'm somewhat surprised by this.

The weather was bad for a game or two and the team was below many people's expectations.

That should be announced tickets sold. If there were 47,000 people in that stadium, then at least 10,000 were either invisible or very small.

Stadium today on TV looked pretty full.

After this year, and the home schedule for next year, we will break at least one record next year. I hope Coyle has changed his keep/fire criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And most of that thanks to Wiscy fans the last weekend- before then were up less than 100/game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Attendance:

Oregon State - 44,585 -W
Indiana State - 41,026 -W
Colorado State - 44,854- W
Iowa - 49,145 - L
Rutgers - 46,096- W
Purdue - 42,832- W
NW - 38,162 - W

2017 Attendance:

Buffalo - 43,224 -W
MTSU - 43,727- W
Maryland - 43,511- L
MSU - 47,541 -L
IL - 45,243 - W
NE - 39,933- W
WI - 47,327 - L

2016 Attendance:

Oregon State - 44,585 -W
Indiana State - 41,026 -W
Colorado State - 44,854- W
Iowa - 49,145 - L
Rutgers - 46,096- W
Purdue - 42,832- W
NW - 38,162 - W

2017 Attendance:

Buffalo - 43,224 -W
MTSU - 43,727- W
Maryland - 43,511- L
MSU - 47,541 -L
IL - 45,243 - W
NE - 39,933- W
WI - 47,327 - L

For comparison, 2015 Neb game had 54K, and 2015 Wisc game had 53K.

There is another thread talking about the crowd, with shots showing lots of empty seats in the upper deck. I saw one angle on TV, and the upper deck behind one end zone looked close to empty.

Now, maybe it was a late-arriving crowd, or there were a lot of people in the concourses, but every bit of visual evidence I saw did not show a crowd of 47,000 people. And to reiterate, that figure is tickets sold, not bodies in seats.

Other people have noted the number of tickets available on the secondary market. Even without the temporary Vikings seats that are no longer there, this was not a stellar year for attendance.

There is another thread talking about the crowd, with shots showing lots of empty seats in the upper deck. I saw one angle on TV, and the upper deck behind one end zone looked close to empty.

That was the west end zone...

Now, maybe it was a late-arriving crowd, or there were a lot of people in the concourses, but every bit of visual evidence I saw did not show a crowd of 47,000 people. And to reiterate, that figure is tickets sold, not bodies in seats.

Other people have noted the number of tickets available on the secondary market. Even without the temporary Vikings seats that are no longer there, this was not a stellar year for attendance.

There were plenty of empty seats. 47,000 would be pretty optimistic for actual attendance. I was kind of surprised because I figured Wisconsin fans would buy all the available seats. I think what we're seeing is that even the out-of-town fans are being priced out of games (and season ticket holders are refusing to drop their prices significantly because they paid so much for their tickets). Many people just aren't willing to spend $100 or more for college football.

The link talked about attendance from '16 to '17. Announced attendance is the only way to compare. It's been quite a few years since there weren't more tickets sold than were in the stands.

Looks much worse the last couple of years. Cant say that for sure. We're always in the stadium, not watching on TV. We record all games, but this year haven't watched all of them though.

It was the best crowd of the year. After the start of the second half people started to leave so if the camera showed the crowd in the second half yeah it was sparse. I wish more Gopher fans went to the games instead of complaining about the crowd size here. I don't want to hear excuses either because as soon as we start to win those excuses are going to go away. Be a part of the solution not the problem.

Top Bottom