2015 recruiting classes - MN - WI

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
2015 was the last Kill class. This is the class that would be RS Sophs and Juniors this year. RS Juniors and our Seniors for next year.

Here is Minnesota's list.
Class was 13 out of 14 Big Ten at time of signing. 61st overall if my research is correct.

Player Amount Played
Antonio Shenault - Lake Park (Roselle, IL) Regular
Jacob Huff-Bolingbrook (Bolingbrook, IL) Regular
Demry Croft-Boylan Central Catholic (Rockford, IL) Regular
Julian Huff-Bolingbrook (Bolingbrook, IL) Regular
Winston DeLattiboudere - Howard (Ellicott City, MD) - Updated Regular
Bronson Dovich -Chaska (Chaska, MN) Seldom
Bryce Witham- West Catholic (Grand Rapids, MI) Seldom
Colton Beebe-Piper (Kansas City, KS) Seldom
Hunter Register-O. Comeaux (Lafayette, LA) Seldom
Jaylen Waters-Copperas Cove (Copperas Cove, TX) Seldom
Jonathan Femi-ColeSt. Andrew's College (Aurora, ON) Seldom
Quinn Oseland-Sacred Heart Griffin (Springfield, IL) Seldom
Rashad Still - Andress (El Paso, TX) Seldom
Shannon Brooks -Pickens County (Jasper, GA) Seldom
Zo Craighton - Dutchtown (Geismar, LA) Seldom
Charlie Rogers-Iowa Western C.C. (Council Bluffs, IA) Off Team
Dior Johnson-Southfield (Southfield, MI) Off Team
James Johannesson-South (Fargo, ND) Off Team
Kiante Hardin-Webb City (Webb City, MO) Off Team
Mose Hall-Murphy (Mobile, AL) Off Team
Nick Connelly-Red Wing Senior (Red Wing, MN) Off Team
Ray Buford -Southfield (Southfield, MI) Off Team
Ted Stieber -Archbishop Hoban (Akron, OH) Off Team
Tyler Moore -North Shore (Houston, TX) Off Team

Here is Wisconsin

Player Amount played
Alex HornibrookMalvern Prep (Malvern, PA) Regular
Alec IngoldBay Port (Green Bay, WI) Regular
Arrington FarrarWoodward Academy (Atlanta, GA) Regular
David EdwardsComm Dist 99 - North (Downers Grove, IL) Regular
David MoormanNorthville (Pinckney, MI) Regular
Kyle PennistonMater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) Regular
Jon DietzenSeymour (Seymour, WI) Regular
Bradrick ShawHoover (Hoover, AL) Regular
Chris OrrDeSoto (DeSoto, TX) Regular
Olive SagapoluMater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) Regular
Jake WhalenWest (Wausau, WI) Seldom
Kraig HoweArchbishop Alter (Dayton, OH) Seldom
Nick ThomasIMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) Seldom
Zack BaunBrown Deer (Milwaukee, WI) Seldom
Andrew JamesWestminster Academy (Fort Lauderdale, FL) Off Team
Austin KafentzisJordan (Sandy, UT) Off Team
David PfaffHomestead (Thiensville, WI) Off Team
Kevin EstesSan Marcos (San Marcos, CA) Off Team
Titus BookerGrayslake Comm North (Grayslake, IL) Off Team

We have 10 players no longer on the team.
Wisconsin only has 5 lost.

We have only four players that I say are regular contributors if I'm correct.
Wisconsin only has 10 players who play regularly / start.

My assumption is that at this point, this 2015 class isn't going to improve much more than where it stands. If they aren't playing at this point, I don't see them as key on-the-field contributors next year. I think this is why we are younger next year because we only have 4 players from this class.

The next class after that is the first Claeys class.

White honestly. I think this year is 1982 all over again and next year will be 1983.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Winston DeLattiboudere is off the team?..

"2017 • SOPHOMORE SEASON: Has started six games and played in all ten"

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/winston_delattiboudere_950232.html

Sorry.
My fault. I was doing this without proofing.

Updated the list, but what's interesting is how many of the WI guys (QB especially) are key contributors. I think 2-4 O-lineman included.

I was just looking through the other years.
Our 2014 class is thin on players coming back, so we really don't have much for Junior or Senior leadership next year that we're going to be overly attached to.

Good news I would say is our 2016 class still looks pretty solid, and many of our freshman were able to be red-shirted per the plan and it includes a couple spots of need.

Not to mention, hopefully Demetrius Douglas and Winfield both qualify for medical redshirts.

Sorry.
My fault. I was doing this without proofing.

Updated the list, but what's interesting is how many of the WI guys (QB especially) are key contributors. I think 2-4 O-lineman included.

I was just looking through the other years.
Our 2014 class is thin on players coming back, so we really don't have much for Junior or Senior leadership next year that we're going to be overly attached to.

Good news I would say is our 2016 class still looks pretty solid, and many of our freshman were able to be red-shirted per the plan and it includes a couple spots of need.

Not to mention, hopefully Demetrius Douglas and Winfield both qualify for medical redshirts.

Thanks for putting this together and that class hurts.

Thanks for putting this together and that class hurts.

If this were jeopardy, the answer would be "The 2015 Gopher Recruiting Class" and the correct question would be "Why we will be younger in 2018 than we were in 2017".

It's not like we're going to grab some free agents to help out that class. And probably a good reason to grab one or two JUCO transfers if we can.

I think I'm missing something here.

Kill's players were recruited to play in a different system under a different coaching staff. If you don't think that matters, then why do so many people keep saying "you can't judge Fleck until he has a chance to recruit his players."

I'm not saying Kill's class was loaded with can't miss-players - but again, they were recruited for a different system.

Nobody can say how this team would have been different if the coaching change had not been made. But it would have been different. It's hard to see how things could have been worse.

Kill's players were recruited to play in a different system under a different coaching staff. If you don't think that matters, then why do so many people keep saying "you can't judge Fleck until he has a chance to recruit his players."

I'm not saying Kill's class was loaded with can't miss-players - but again, they were recruited for a different system.

Nobody can say how this team would have been different if the coaching change had not been made. But it would have been different. It's hard to see how things could have been worse.

We can all debate what would have happened this year if it were Claeys, but my sense is he would have gotten canned either this year, or surely by next year.
I'd hate to be competing for a coach this year, so I'm kind of happy with the coach we have.

I think it does matter what type of player you bring it and whether they fit your system (more offensively than defensively probably). (Fleck wants to use WR's and not TE's, Kill liked to run and pass to TE's). Having TE's on this team doesn't seem like a real asset the way Fleck runs offense.

On defense, you need CB's and safeties. And if Shenault is your startingcornerback, and he's the best you have, and he's not great, it's a case like that where having another body who can play (under any system) would be beneficial.

I don't know enough about the changes in defensive schemes to realize how different the defenses are, but it seems like we had problems controlling the line defensively and our secondary was not exceptional (and thin).

If you want to criticize Fleck for something here it would be why not play more true freshman if you feel that would have helped, although at this point, I'm glad he redshirted as many as he did since this season seemed to be problematic early on.

So, Gophers go from 9-4 last year to 5-7 this year. Why - because the previous coaching staff did a poor job of recruiting. Can't blame the new coach for that.

Oh, by the way - Western Michigan was 13-1 last year - 6-6 this year. Under your logic, we should blame the previous coaching staff for poor recruiting. Because we can't blame the new coach, right?

So, Gophers go from 9-4 last year to 5-7 this year. Why - because the previous coaching staff did a poor job of recruiting. Can't blame the new coach for that.

Oh, by the way - Western Michigan was 13-1 last year - 6-6 this year. Under your logic, we should blame the previous coaching staff for poor recruiting. Because we can't blame the new coach, right?

I don't know what happened with WMU. Did they lose anyone from last year's team that was any good other than the first round WR?

I'm just showing what that 2015 class looks like and it's not impressive. Compared to Wisconsin, it's a fine illustration on why that team was better than us today. They seem to have more 2015 talent than we do. Not that talent is everything, but they have talent and depth of talent in that class. We do not.

That's a pretty damn good point. I never really knew Westerns record this year. Interesting.

That's a pretty damn good point. I never really knew Westerns record this year. Interesting.

So am I supposed to argue that WMU is worse because Fleck isn't coaching them, or that they aren't as good because their 4 year starting QB is gone along with their NFL talented WR?

So am I supposed to argue that WMU is worse because Fleck isn't coaching them, or that they aren't as good because their 4 year starting QB is gone along with their NFL talented WR?

You're supposed to argue that the previous coaching staff didn't recruit well enough to restock, which was Fleck.

Why are Shannon Brooks and Zo Creighton listed in the "seldom" category? Because they got injured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oseland and Dovich will have their chance to prove themselves in spring ball. They could end up starters for next year ... or they could get passed up on the depth chart.

Looking at OL for next year:

- Wright and Calhoun are done
- Assuming both Greene and Schlueter will be the starting tackles.
- Assuming that Weyler will be the starting C ... but you never know with injuries, and he has been injured a few different times.
- That leaves Olson, Dovich, and Oseland as interior OL

The rest were true freshman this year, and then a JUCO transfer that was listed as Soph this year and didn't see any action. They'll all get a chance to show what they can do in spring ball ... but learning OL blocking schemes can be tough to get down. The one guy who will be interesting to watch is Rousemiller ... could see him being a starter by the end of spring, but we'll see.

So potentially, that could be two more guys on the 2015 list that you could upgrade.

You're supposed to argue that the previous coaching staff didn't recruit well enough to restock, which was Fleck.

Other than when he left many of his recruits left too and some followed him to MN

2015 was the last Kill class. This is the class that would be RS Sophs and Juniors this year. RS Juniors and our Seniors for next year.

Here is Minnesota's list.
Class was 13 out of 14 Big Ten at time of signing. 61st overall if my research is correct.

Player Amount Played

Here is Wisconsin

Player Amount played
Alex HornibrookMalvern Prep (Malvern, PA) Regular
Alec IngoldBay Port (Green Bay, WI) Regular
Arrington FarrarWoodward Academy (Atlanta, GA) Regular
David EdwardsComm Dist 99 - North (Downers Grove, IL) Regular
David MoormanNorthville (Pinckney, MI) Regular
Kyle PennistonMater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) Regular
Jon DietzenSeymour (Seymour, WI) Regular
Bradrick ShawHoover (Hoover, AL) Regular
Chris OrrDeSoto (DeSoto, TX) Regular
Olive SagapoluMater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) Regular
Jake WhalenWest (Wausau, WI) Seldom
Kraig HoweArchbishop Alter (Dayton, OH) Seldom
Nick ThomasIMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) Seldom
Zack BaunBrown Deer (Milwaukee, WI) Seldom
Andrew JamesWestminster Academy (Fort Lauderdale, FL) Off Team
Austin KafentzisJordan (Sandy, UT) Off Team
David PfaffHomestead (Thiensville, WI) Off Team
Kevin EstesSan Marcos (San Marcos, CA) Off Team
Titus BookerGrayslake Comm North (Grayslake, IL) Off Team

We have 10 players no longer on the team.
Wisconsin only has 5 lost.

We have only four players that I say are regular contributors if I'm correct.
Wisconsin only has 10 players who play regularly / start.

My assumption is that at this point, this 2015 class isn't going to improve much more than where it stands. If they aren't playing at this point, I don't see them as key on-the-field contributors next year. I think this is why we are younger next year because we only have 4 players from this class.

The next class after that is the first Claeys class.

David Pfaff is probably surprised to learn today that he is no longer on the team since he played in the game yesterday.

Player Amount Played

If you take a look at this list, not only are too many guys off the team, but the ones we haven't aren't that great. Is there a single all-B1G performer in this class?

Tyler Moore would have been. Perhaps Ki Hardin would've got there too?

We all know what happened, don't need to rehash it.

Depth is a huge issue. Wisconsin back-ups don’t look like back-ups and don’t play like back-ups. They’ve lost players to injuries and don’t miss a beat. That’s a stable program from top to bottom that we hope to learn from.

Face it they’re nearly a helmet school and their lead coaches all bleed badgers throughout.

Got to let Coyle and Fleck build it for 6-10 years.

I feel very confident saying this team would be better this year without the coaching change. Future years, we don’t know for sure. Have to wait and see.

The only way this year is worse is if we get off to a bad start and everyone knows claeys is done and everyone quits. Pure players and system, it’s a better team with claeys and sawvel. Doesn’t matter. Fleck was brought in to build the program and culture a different way and we have to wait to see how it turns out. We will be younger but deeper next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 class has big issues, but the 2014 class was worse and is a big reason why this year was such a struggle. These were SR's/RS JRs this year.

Jeff Jones- RB-Minneapolis, MN- Off Team
Gaelin Elmore-TE-Somerset, WI - Off Team
Isaiah Gentry-WR-Cincinnati, OH - Off Team
Dimonic McKinzy -ATH-Kansas City, KS - Off Team
Connor Mayes-OL-Van Alstyne, TX - Off Team
Cody Poock-LB-Council Bluffs, IA - Backup
Steven Richardson-DT-Chicago, IL - 4 year starter, stud
Andrew Stelter-DE-Owatonna, MN - solid rotation player
Brandon Lingen-TE-Wayzata, MN - showed flashes but couldn't stay healthy
Julien Kafo -DE Mont-Tremblant, PQ - Off Team
Melvin Holland Jr. - WR - Ashburn, VA - Backup/injured/graduated early
Conner Krizancic-WR-Mentor, OH- Off Team
Craig James-DB-Edwardsville, IL - Off Team
Everett Williams-LB-Mansfield, TX - Graduated Early
Jerry Gibson-ATH-Theodore, AL - Injured/rarely played
Luke Rasmussen-OL-Brookfield, WI - Off Team
Rodney Smith-RB-Jonesboro, GA - 3 year starter, solid RB
Jonathan Celestin-LB-Jonesburo, GA - 3 year starter, solid LB
Jared Weyler-OL-Dayton, OH - Jared Weyler - 1st year starter
Gary Moore-DT-Mobile, AL - 1st year starter
Rashaun Croney-ATH-Pahokee, FL - Off Team
Desmond Gant-WR-Aurora, IL - Off Team

14 of the 22 commits either left the team, didn't use all of their eligibility, or have rarely played.

Did Elmore have any more football left and transfer somewhere, or did he just hang it up?

Jeff Jones is a sad story. Really too bad.

Depth is a huge issue. Wisconsin back-ups don’t look like back-ups and don’t play like back-ups. They’ve lost players to injuries and don’t miss a beat. That’s a stable program from top to bottom that we hope to learn from.

Face it they’re nearly a helmet school and their lead coaches all bleed badgers throughout.

Got to let Coyle and Fleck build it for 6-10 years.

Depth is a key component of success. We have very little margin for error and a few injuries and transfers can be the difference between 5 wins and 9.

Ah thanks. Doubt he gets drafted, but I'm sure he'll go to a rookie camp in the spring. Hope he makes it to a fall camp. Good luck to him!

Wonder if Phil Nelson being there helped in the decision?

Top Bottom