It's Over!

hello-world

Reaction score
Love him or hate him, Fleck's first year is finally done and I'm excited to see what's next.
Sounds like he's hitting the recruiting trail hard to find a QB capable of running his offense.
More familiarity with our system, the return of Winfield and Johnson, a bigger, stronger, and more experienced o-line.
The future of Gopher football is still looking bright.

Fleck's year 0 metaphor means that you don't expect to see returns until year 1.

So next year pays our first dividend, in the words of Jay Z:
https://vimeo.com/8503138

Love him or hate him, Fleck's first year is finally done and I'm excited to see what's next.
Sounds like he's hitting the recruiting trail hard to find a QB capable of running his offense.
More familiarity with our system, the return of Winfield and Johnson, a bigger, stronger, and more experienced o-line.

Fleck's year 0 metaphor means that you don't expect to see returns until year 1.

How can you believe in Fleck and be optimistic when we went 70-0 to close the season?

6-6 next year- 3-6 in conf with wins against Ill, Ind and Pur

Losing two key seniors on the line... Filing that void with, who?

I am not that sure about Purdue

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Yeah I honestly believe that Purdue is going to be #2 in the division next year behind Wisconsin.
Brohm is a _really_ good coach.

As a Gopher fan, take the long view that the process will take three to four years to respectability.

We had to hit bottom before it gets better. We just hit bottom.

As a Gopher fan, take the long view that the process will take three to four years to respectability.

This is not the bottom for Gopher football, not even close.

Have to agree with this even though so many people seem to think the team turns around as soon as Fleck starts coaching. Look today at those Offensive lineman on WI. My first reaction while watching them warm up was - OK we are screwed today. Next I thought about our freshmen O linemen and who do we have, big and athletic like that. Answer is Andries and that is about it. I am talking seriously here about true athletic Big Kids. We need to sign Quinn Carroll and he is number 2. After that we need Jucos or more Quinn Carroll types and folks they don't grow on trees. This is going to take several years probably 3 at least. If I am missing someone please forgive me but that is how I see it.

Have to agree with this even though so many people seem to think the team turns around as soon as Fleck starts coaching. Look today at those Offensive lineman on WI. My first reaction while watching them warm up was - OK we are screwed today. Next I thought about our freshmen O linemen and who do we have, big and athletic like that. Answer is Andries and that is about it. I am talking seriously here about true athletic Big Kids. We need to sign Quinn Carroll and he is number 2. After that we need Jucos or more Quinn Carroll types and folks they don't grow on trees. This is going to take several years probably 3 at least. If I am missing someone please forgive me but that is how I see it.

I noticed the same thing. You could have picked the winner during warmups. Just objectively look at their o-line and compare it to ours. Defense as well.

[QUOTE=hello

WI is going to be a jaugernaut next year, top 5 IMHO-they don't lose a whole lot from this year and they should keep their coaching staff in tact for next year, they have been poached for the last few years anyway...purdue , iu, and NW will improve--gophs and nebby will slide, neither have any offensive weapons and both d's are suspect..going to be ugly for both

I don't know how Wisconsin recruits. If they bring in more O-lineman and big D-lineman, but they are about winning the game in the trenches.
Wisconsin is a national title contender. It's not like they are a bad team this year. It might be their best team ever.

But regardless, they have huge lineman and we don't. Wish we had more that were bigger, faster, stronger.

WI is going to be a jaugernaut next year, top 5 IMHO-they don't lose a whole lot from this year and they should keep their coaching staff in tact for next year, they have been poached for the last few years anyway...purdue , iu, and NW will improve--gophs and nebby will slide, neither have any offensive weapons and both d's are suspect..going to be ugly for both

Agreed. I won't be wasting any money on tickets next year except for homecoming. We're going to be really raw breaking in whomever is the new QB and all the freshman receivers. We lose a lot in the trenches this year with no experience to replace them. 4-5 wins next year sounds about right.

Might be the first season since Brewster's year 0 that I am almost happy to see it end. Bummer. CFB is a short season and just wasn't that enjoyable this year for me. At least I have Man City!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I would think Nebraska fans would say they hit bottom. Is there more than one bottom?

Can't it be both?

My biggest complaint, though it doesn't matter anymore, is that this was completely avoidable if Coyle had been an average communicator an explained to the Gopher football team why their players were being suspended last year.
Or done what any competent AD would do and let his coach handle it.

Coyle has done other things well. I think that getting Fleck was actually pretty impressive given how sought-after Fleck was, and halting ticket price increases was nice.

But still, Coyle **** the bed and now we're all rolling in it.

How can you believe in Fleck and be optimistic when we went 70-0 to close the season?

I can believe in Fleck because sometimes the entire season comes down to a few small changes.
Going into this season, I never thought that anybody would be singing the praises of a Vikings offensive line that had only worked together for a few months, yet I hear it every week.
Going into Zeke's suspension, I never thought that Dak's play would drop of precipitously, yet it has.
Going into Brohm's first season with Purdue, I never thought he would turn their offense into one of the more creative endeavors in our division, yet he has.
Going into Claeys' first full season, I never thought he had a chance in hell at a 9-win record, yet sure enough, he achieved a nine win record before being dismissed.

Sports are fun to watch because you never really know what's coming next. I will always be critical when I see mistakes, I will always give praise when I see our players and coaches do cool ****, and I will always be optimistic that next year will be better than last.

You're listing all sorts of reasons we could be worse next year, but every team loses players.
Our QB play isn't going to regress because it literally can't (we would have been better off this season running the triple option).

Here are a couple reasons things might go right for us:
Games in which Tyler Johnson caught multiple passes:
Gophers averaged 28 points.
Games in which Tyler Johnson did not catch multiple passes:
Gophers averaged 3 points

Small changes in personnel can make massive differences in efficiency.

Yeah I honestly believe that Purdue is going to be #2 in the division next year behind Wisconsin.
Brohm is a _really_ good coach.

Pretty sure Purdue is in same division as Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State so I'm gonna bank on they won't finish second in division.

Pretty sure Purdue is in same division as Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State so I'm gonna bank on they won't finish second in division.

It takes like 10 seconds to verify that before you type yet you spew that BS anyway.

The "talent" line buys you this year. This isn't the Illinois recruiting pipeline. From now on the staff will truly be judged on their quality of football IQ in the big time.

I was hoping for a little better towards the end of the season, but it felt like we were patchwork the whole year.

From the first game against Buffalo, our CB's were having some issues covering Buffalo's WR.
When Winfield got hurt, that just kind of killed our already thin secondary.

Our D-line struggled to control the line.
Our O-Line couldn't make holes for the RB's.

I think we have the right O-line coaches. Hopefully we have some redshirt talent developing there to help us run some offense.

2018 could be tough, or it could be a point where we start to improve. 2019 we won't lose much, so hopefully it's only improvement from 2018 to 2019.

Its always next year or 2 yrs or 3 yrs or whatever, getting tired of it.

Any chance you want to put some money down on this?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom