Thoughts from a random dude...

Reaction score
1) The gophers dominated Alabama. Without craziness, we would have likely ended up winning by 15-20 and the only narrative coming out of this poorly-run tournament would be that the gophers were for real. Let's get pumped.

2) Jordan Murphy is an animal.

3) Nate's look-down at Sexton followed up by a cold-blooded three was one of the dirtiest, sexiest, next-level power moves I've ever seen during a basketball game. If that was Grayson Allen, Christian Laettner, or Reggie Miller, they'd make a 30for30 about that sequence. But, alas, he's an underrated black guard from MN, so he will get put up on ESPN like he's a thug who started the chain of events that led to Alabama loosing control of their team. He will NOT be suspended next game, nor should he. He was showing fire and backing it up by being very good at basketball. If I'm pitino, I love that--I support my player when a ref wrongly hits him with two quick t's instead of trying to calm him down like most players get calmed down in that situation. And guess what, that's the exact attitude that separates good players from legendary over-achievers. I LOVE Nate.

4) Nothing after they went down to 4 players is worth talking about from a basketball perspective. It belongs in Barnum's sports almanac...nothing more. Let us forget about it--though twitter and ESPN shall not.

5) Anyone being negative about this team, its attitude, or pitino's coaching on here is either cynical-beyond-cure or simply dumb.

6) This is the best gopher team since '97 and--let me be the first to say it--might be better. Time, and many imaginary scrimmages played in my head, will tell.

7) Go buy tickets!!! Make the most of this opportunity to see a great gopher team. It's gonna be an INSANE winter in the barn. Let's go.

8) Keep the chili hot. Go gophers.

I agree with all except #6. This starting 5 could go toe-to-toe with 97. The bench would get blown out though. Quincy Lewis, Charles Thomas an co. They went 10 deep. This bench has IW and not too much else.

Nice post Chili. This team a definitely a rung below the 97' squad (would be really close had Curry not went down); but should be blast to watch all winter.

I agree with all except #6. This starting 5 could go toe-to-toe with 97. The bench would get blown out though. Quincy Lewis, Charles Thomas an co. They went 10 deep. This bench has IW and not too much else.

Not sure Jelly Fam is much better than the other bench players on this team at this point.

Jamir Harris, while still a freshman on defense is 10 for 19 on 3 pt shots... If he can continue that... we have more than just IW. (I wont argue the '97 team as stats are all I could argue with as my memory of that team is not good enough)

If we had curry and if konate could hold onto the ball, id say it's close as of this moment.

Jamir Harris is probably a clone of Charles Thomas and likely better. The bench would hold their own

1) The gophers dominated Alabama. Without craziness, we would have likely ended up winning by 15-20 and the only narrative coming out of this poorly-run tournament would be that the gophers were for real. Let's get pumped.

3) Nate's look-down at Sexton followed up by a cold-blooded three was one of the dirtiest, sexiest, next-level power moves I've ever seen during a basketball game. If that was Grayson Allen, Christian Laettner, or Reggie Miller, they'd make a 30for30 about that sequence. But, alas, he's an underrated black guard from MN, so he will get put up on ESPN like he's a thug who started the chain of events that led to Alabama loosing control of their team. He will NOT be suspended next game, nor should he. He was showing fire and backing it up by being very good at basketball. If I'm pitino, I love that--I support my player when a ref wrongly hits him with two quick t's instead of trying to calm him down like most players get calmed down in that situation. And guess what, that's the exact attitude that separates good players from legendary over-achievers. I LOVE Nate.

4) Nothing after they went down to 4 players is worth talking about from a basketball perspective. It belongs in Barnum's sports almanac...nothing more. Let us forget about it--though twitter and ESPN shall not.

5) Anyone being negative about this team, its attitude, or pitino's coaching on here is either cynical-beyond-cure or simply dumb.

6) This is the best gopher team since '97 and--let me be the first to say it--might be better. Time, and many imaginary scrimmages played in my head, will tell.

7) Go buy tickets!!! Make the most of this opportunity to see a great gopher team. It's gonna be an INSANE winter in the barn. Let's go.

Random Dude is my guy. Great post.

My chili is lava hot!!

As for the comparisons to 97, I think this team is a small step below 97. College basketball as a whole is not as good as it was then. Players were still likely to stay 3-4 years, unlike today. Because of that, I think this team can accomplish the same things the 97 team did.

This whole mess could have been avoided had the officials got the two guards together and told them to knock it off. It escalated and Alabama ended up looking like fools. Give Pitino credit. He was very, very classy by just playing things out. The result was never in question even though Alabama hit some miracle shots. No doubt Coach Pitino will be having a serious discussion with Mason and the team and he will turn it into a positive lesson. It's a W and a classy job by Pitino given the circumstances. The guys will be ready for Miami. Hopefully the barn crowd will also be ready!!!!

This whole mess could have been avoided had the officials got the two guards together and told them to knock it off. It escalated and Alabama ended up looking like fools. Give Pitino credit. He was very, very classy by just playing things out. The result was never in question even though Alabama hit some miracle shots. No doubt Coach Pitino will be having a serious discussion with Mason and the team and he will turn it into a positive lesson. It's a W and a classy job by Pitino given the circumstances. The guys will be ready for Miami. Hopefully the barn crowd will also be ready!!!!

I would love to be a fly on the wall of the locker room to see what Pitino told the guys post-game. I saw the highlights during halftime of the Providence game and they showed a clip of the trophy ceremony after. Guys didn't look happy. It was more a confused deer in the headlights look while hosting the trophy. My only fear is there is some sort of hangover from the strange events that took place. Can't afford that with Miami and two big-ten games next on the schedule.

On a personal level, the media going nuts about how "ALABAMA outscores MN playing 3 vs. 5" is going to drive me crazy.

Love the post!! So pumped for Wednesday!

Way to go, Random Dude.
Doyle & co made a lot of 'playground atmosphere' comments for a while that relate to #3. How a mere (but awesome) look from Mason 'started it all' is fiction.
The fact that not one punch was thrown, no violent act was committed, is proof to me that the whole situation was mismanaged.

And yes, I have my tickets for the season.

On a personal level, the media going nuts about how "ALABAMA outscores MN playing 3 vs. 5" is going to drive me crazy.
This times a million. ESPN crawl was all over it. Expect a 30 for 30 in a couple of years.

Those fans who were right behind the Mason altercation were some beauties. They looked like they thought they were at an MMA fight.

Those fans who were right behind the Mason altercation were some beauties. They looked like they thought they were at an MMA fight.

It sounded like at least one of their fans were ejected, shortly after the altercation on the court.

Go Gophers!!

Jamir Harris, while still a freshman on defense is 10 for 19 on 3 pt shots... If he can continue that... we have more than just IW. (I wont argue the '97 team as stats are all I could argue with as my memory of that team is not good enough)

I'm optimistic about Harris too. But Lewis/Thomas were starting caliber guys coming off the bench. Trevor Winter was miles better than Konate. The other 2 spots are probably closer.

1)

s.

Perfect.

Everyone is ignoring the real question. Are we going to be prepared the next time we have to play against three players?

Everyone is ignoring the real question. Are we going to be prepared the next time we have to play against three players?

Its a bold strategy but another team might try this against us. Just send out their best 3 players! hahaha

It sounded like at least one of their fans were ejected, shortly after the altercation on the court.

Go Gophers!!

I have no evidence to back this up, but from Reddit and a few other Internet comments, I think it might have been some neutral "NY obnoxious" fans that were ejected.

Random dude hits it on the head. If only Nate hadn’t broken Sextons ankles and shot a cold blooded 3....maybe this wouldn’t have happened. Bottom line is we were beating the snot out of them for 30 plus minutes and then chaos. I was at the game and it had a dangerous vibe from the get go. Refs were “odd”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, whatever about this game.

More importantly, I think Mr. Washington is the next Bobby Jackson. Two years younger, but he still has that flash. He will be the player that will make us fans proud. Go Gophers!

I'm optimistic about Harris too. But Lewis/Thomas were starting caliber guys coming off the bench. Trevor Winter was miles better than Konate. The other 2 spots are probably closer.

Actually, Trevor Winter WAS Konate until the his senior season, when he turned up the play. That year it was John Thomas and Courtney; and because TW was still learning, the sub minutes went to Miles Tarver (unfortunately).

Harris indeed feels like Charles Thomas to me, only a better shooter and perhaps a bit less of a defender. Now if only Hurt could be Sam Jacobson....

#1 Ditto
#3 If Nate can remember to let his actions speak louder than words, he won't be seen as an underrated guard from Minn. If he would of kept his mouth shut and walked away, they would still be talking about stone cold shooter from Minnesota.
#5 If you think Richard is on a par with his father, or Coach K, I don't think so. But what is enticing is I think he can be. I believe he is the best thing to happen to Minnesota Basketball in decades. He will make mistakes, but it's the journey not the destination.

Murph could be our Bobby Jackson caliber (different positions but B1G POY caliber), Mason could be our Jacobson type (fringe NBA). Lynch and Murphy are Thomas and Winter inside. Jelly fam could be Quincy Lewis. Coffey or Dupree = Eric Harris.

Good post and agreed. Lost in all this "Alabama outscored Minnesota 5 on 3" nonsense is the fact that the Gophers were up by double-digits and controlling the game until all the wackiness started.

Simply put, the Gophers were and are the better team.

How good can they be? We'll find out. But right now they're a legit top-10 team imo.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

You raise a number of very good points. However, I think there is one more that needs to be added. I'm very concerned that, when other refs hear of what happened, they will assume Minnesota is a rough or dirty team and that lots of whistles need to be blown to keep things "under control." If that happens, given our short bench and general poor free-throw shooting, we will could be in for a rough time.

Top Bottom