Do you think there will be staff changes?

EG#9

Reaction score
I would assume not, but the team seemed to regress on both sides of the ball in November. Obviously injuries were a major factor on the OL, Wr, and at DB and are a legitimate reason (not excuse) for poor play. I wonder about Strength and Conditioning coach Dan Nichol given PJ's comments about the number of surgeries the Gophers faced last offseason and how many guys went down this year. My biggest disappointment with Klein was not the injuries, but the fact that the Gophers still didn't match up physically with Wisconsin or Iowa in the trenches six years in to his tenure. That said, I am not sure how much of an effect the new S&C coach could have in just one offseason, so I don't expect to see a change there especially since he's been with PJ since Western Michigan.

TC should be available (until Huskers, Mizzou, and on down the line give him a call).

I'm curious as to whether any coaches without a past with Fleck say screw it and move on. That will be a bad sign, IMHO.

Sure hope so. This team made the least amount of improvement from game one to game 12. Not one phase was better today than back in August, not one. Very, very poor offensive line blocking. Both offensive tackles were ridiculous. Our dee backs were continually out of position- which is coaching. Huff couldn't cover my sister. Where were our linebackers today? Perhaps the only player who played better today than last week was Richardson. Where was our all conference kicker? Again that's coaching. If I had to pick an all star team from both teams playing today, not one Gopher would be selected.

If there are any changes that is a terrible sign. Better not be or things could be worse or younger next year...not sure which one would apply here.

Sure hope so. This team made the least amount of improvement from game one to game 12. Not one phase was better today than back in August, not one. Very, very poor offensive line blocking. Both offensive tackles were ridiculous. Our dee backs were continually out of position- which is coaching. Huff couldn't cover my sister. Where were our linebackers today? Perhaps the only player who played better today than last week was Richardson. Where was our all conference kicker? Again that's coaching. If I had to pick an all star team from both teams playing today, not one Gopher would be selected.

I thought PJ squirting water on him was supposed to make him better?

I would be surprised if Fleck made any changes. Agree that if a coach walks on their own without a higher profile job offer that could be troubling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if Fleck made any changes. Agree that if a coach walks on their own without a higher profile job offer that could be troubling.

Yup. I posted this same thing a few weeks ago and will watch with keen interest. If guys like Smith, Warriner, and DB's coach (sorry, name evades me) make lateral moves for no apparent reason (family, money, etc), they likely think Fleck is full of crap. This will be VERY telling IMO.

I don't believe any of Fleck's defensive coaches came with from WMU. Why did he have to build a new staff?

Definitely not guys that were with him at WMU like Ciarrocca, Simon, etc. Don't think Smith will have any suitors from bigger programs lining up for his DC services.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if a Linguist or Warinner moved on to something else. There are going to be various assistant openings at some schools like Tennessee, Arkansas, Nebraska, and maybe more relatively high profile programs over the coming weeks.

I think some of the new to Fleck and experienced guys will leave for other jobs. They will want to work for a coach that is not such high maintenance.

Our DC sucks and he sucked at Arkansas

granted we had no defensive ends. NONE. We had to convert our best linebacker to play the position. Our secondary was terrible as well. So he gets a pass for this year.

Our DC sucks and he sucked at Arkansas

I was a big Claeys/Sawvel fan but I'm going to reserve judgement on the DC. They played OK considering injuries and how bad our offense was.

I would assume not, but the team seemed to regress on both sides of the ball in November. Obviously injuries were a major factor on the OL, Wr, and at DB and are a legitimate reason (not excuse) for poor play. I wonder about Strength and Conditioning coach Dan Nichol given PJ's comments about the number of surgeries the Gophers faced last offseason and how many guys went down this year. My biggest disappointment with Klein was not the injuries, but the fact that the Gophers still didn't match up physically with Wisconsin or Iowa in the trenches six years in to his tenure. That said, I am not sure how much of an effect the new S&C coach could have in just one offseason, so I don't expect to see a change there especially since he's been with PJ since Western Michigan.

Western Michigan fan here. Nichol was a good coach for us when he was here. We had a good track record with injuries under Fleck and just had a horrendous year with a new S&C guy this year under Lester. But, sometimes injuries are just a freak thing.

Western Michigan fan here. Nichol was a good coach for us when he was here. We had a good track record with injuries under Fleck and just had a horrendous year with a new S&C guy this year under Lester. But, sometimes injuries are just a freak thing.

After last year's success in the NFL Draft, how many WMU players do you think will be drafted this year?

You kind of have to wonder and/or worry about staff changes given all the coaching movement this season in college football, and if a staff member were to choose to go elsewhere, I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indictment of PJ Fleck. It's highly possible that a staff member may just see a better opportunity or receive more money elsewhere. For example if you're a position coach here and Chip Kelly comes calling, would you not want to think about that?

I thought PJ squirting water on him was supposed to make him better?
That was the holder. PJ squirted the wrong guy. Unacceptable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I figured we'd lose a few if Schiano was going to Tennessee, but with that stopped, maybe it will be less.
We'll still have movement I'm sure with so much coaching turnover at SEC programs.

Hopefully it doesn't hit us hard.

Wonder if Kill, Sawvel, and Claeys move anywhere.

Really agree with this. Fundamentally this team really regressed, especially on defense. The d backs seemed to be out of position more often than not, and the linebackers struggled with their reads and angles. It appears this staff is more about recruiting a finished product than coaching them up. This is fine as long as they get the recruits. Agree with below that if they we see some guys leave, that would be a very negative sign.

I do have to give Rodney Smith some love. He was a warrior. I saw many other guys playing their hearts out. The schemes did them not favors. Otherwise, I agree. I said that myself during the game. This team has regressed in ALL phases.

After last year's success in the NFL Draft, how many WMU players do you think will be drafted this year?

I'm thinking 2 for sure. Chukes Okafor their offensive tackle. And Darius Phillips a CB. Jarvion Franklin should be drafted but I think it will largely depend on his 40 time. Asantay Brown has potential to be drafted as a SS, though he plays LB for us. Started off as a DB. Donnie Ernsberger our TE has potential to be drafted as well. So possibly 5.

I'd love to have an OC who didn't give up on his team in the 2nd quarter and could morph his offense to the needs/skills of his current players while accumulating the players to ultimately install his total package. A great OC doesn't try and force square pegs into star shaped holes

I'm thinking 2 for sure. Chukes Okafor their offensive tackle. And Darius Phillips a CB. Jarvion Franklin should be drafted but I think it will largely depend on his 40 time. Asantay Brown has potential to be drafted as a SS, though he plays LB for us. Started off as a DB. Donnie Ernsberger our TE has potential to be drafted as well. So possibly 5.

Thank you for being part of Gopher Hole. Still trying to find out why none of the defensive coaches came with PJ? Maybe you could help answer this question. Would appreciate your help.

Brett Bielema is very offensive.

You do realize that the reason Bret Bielema got the Head job at Becky was because he was the top recruiter on Fry's staff at Iowa. In fact if my memory serves me, he was voted the top recruiter in the nations several times. Might serve our interest.

Top Bottom