Wisconsin Postgame Presser Notes

Reaction score
P.J. Fleck
Gives Wisconsin lots of credit. Very disciplined. Very deep. Very talented. Paul Chryst is a class act. Compliments Barry Alvarez for starting the culture years ago and being able to keep the culture sustained.

We kind of ran out of people the last few games. They did a great job playing us in man coverage. Had opportunities to make plays but didn’t make them. Missed FGs and holding on kick return where huge. Wisconsin suffocates you after they make you play catch up. Knew we’d have to play close to perfect to beat them.

We have to create separation. They have really good players that can make plays and separate. Saw a major strength difference. Offseason is incredibly important.

“They are so talented up front. They put you in a lot of positions to be able to throw the ball. We have so many young wideouts out there. When your top guy goes down, you do everything you can to get the ball to the guys. We have to find playmakers.”

Thanks seniors for buying in and giving all they had to the U:
“The big thing was just thanking them for everything they have done for the University of Minnesota, our fan base, and our community. That group has been through a lot. Three coaching changes, a lot of adversity and for that group to stick around the way they have...Give them a lot of credit. I am really proud of them in terms of what they have been through and the adversity they face. It’s unfortunate that we cannot extend the season for them.”

We are exactly where we are. That’s the reality. I am hired to fix it. We will fix it.

This is unacceptable tonight. The performance tonight was unacceptable. No way we are going to look like that next year. There are no moral victories. We got exactly what our work deserves. I didn’t do a good enough job coaching. Fact.

We knew we weren’t going to be able to run the ball very effectively based on what they do. We had to be able to throw the football. Rodney Smith was our leading receiver. We had three receivers with catches. Can’t win football games that way. We will fix the issues.

Results of the year are not surprising to him. Not at all.

Thought we played really well in the first half, just aren’t deep enough. Offense didn’t stay on the field enough to give the defense a chance.

Those who stay will be champions.

Multiple reasons on why they had only 9 pass attempts. Pressure was a problem. Not getting separation was a problem.

Offense will look very different next year. We are going to get younger before we get more experienced. The ‘18 recruiting class should see the opportunity to come in a play.

Guys aren't taking the loss well, especially the seniors. Knew they controlled their own destiny for bowl eligibility.

“Rodney Smith does what Rodney Smith does. When he’s your only playmaker on offense, everybody knows that. That’s not hard. Paul Chryst is one of the best football coaches in America, it’s not like you surprise him. He knows exactly what’s coming. We have to get more around him and that’s what’s on its way.”

Rodney Smith

The loss is tough and hated that they had to send the seniors out that way. I laid it all on the line for those guys and I'm going to miss them. I came in with a lot of them so it’s tough to send them all out that way.

Their backers did a great job of playing downhill and filling the lanes. It was tough to run.

Unsure how far they are from getting the Axe back. Have to keep getting better. Everyone believing in themselves. Got some guys experience. Moving forward we know we have to execute.

Said he puts a lot on his shoulders. The coaches do as well. Offense goes through him and whoever the other running back is. Moving forward, just have to encourage guys to get better and need guys to replace those who are leaving.

Biggest lesson they learned this season was how to respond and not quit. Some close losses this season were a result a of lack of execution. Coach Fleck is a great person to watch and learn from. Learned how to respond when things aren’t going your way. Put good in and you’ll get good back.

Thomas Barber
Wisconsin is a very good team. They are obviously very disciplined. They have good backs who are elusive and can stick their foot into the ground and cut back and utilize the run game.

On the mood in the locker room:
Very, very emotional. Especially for the seniors and the fact that it's their last game at TCF Bank. Plus, the bowl eligibility is very slim now if not gone now. That last game for the seniors and everything they've gone though, it's especially difficult for them. It just really touches us all because of how much we care about them.

That’s the hard part about defense, you need everyone to help to stop them. Need all 11 guys to do their job.

We’re moving in the right direction. Coach Fleck said this should hurt and it's motivation for the remaining players to come back fired up next year. We have to keep up the process and know that Coach Fleck is will be here for a while and just keep moving.

They had a good game plan. We were stacking the box to try and stop the run. We weren’t really disciplined. Have to keep our eyes on our man.

Honest to God, if you feel that outmatched from the outset, just quit. If I were a Senior on his obvious sandbag season, I’d lay down and die too.

U's pr department needs to sit down with PJ and tell him to quit saying he didnt coach well enough. People are going to start to believe him that he can't coach for millions that he makes.

He speaks the truth, he has not coached very well. At least he is honest.

what a boring game, by a boring team, with a boring win, f*ck, why can UM emulate this boring sh*t

U's pr department needs to sit down with PJ and tell him to quit saying he didnt coach well enough. People are going to start to believe him that he can't coach for millions that he makes.

It is true. There is that. I think they should tell him to act like he’s trying to win instead of following the script from W. Michigan.

This was not the same situation. That script doesn’t fit.

I am disappointed in the season. Far more in the lack of development and what appears to be effort on Fleck’s part.

Offseason wish list.

Upgrade this years recruiting class in the next 4 weeks. We’re going full Lloyd Carr right now with a scheme that is have better players, Coaching doesn’t matter.

Find a “D” coordinator that has a clue.

Player development of any kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He speaks the truth, he has not coached very well. At least he is honest.

When I confront the guy stealing my TV, and he says “I am stealing your TV”, he gets no points for honesty, we both know it is true and his admission does not make it right.

Id rather here PJ describe what he would change.

What are you talking about the Defense is the only thing that showed improvement

It is true. There is that. I think they should tell him to act like he’s trying to win instead of following the script from W. Michigan.

This was not the same situation. That script doesn’t fit.

I am disappointed in the season. Far more in the lack of development and what appears to be effort on Fleck’s part.

Offseason wish list.

Upgrade this years recruiting class in the next 4 weeks. We’re going full Lloyd Carr right now with a scheme that is have better players, Coaching doesn’t matter.

Find a “D” coordinator that has a clue.

Player development of any kind."

The defense played their rear end off today. Not those guy's fault there is no playmakers at WR, the O-line cannot get any push, and the QB hold's the fricken football way to long and the QB takes miserable sacks. The offense needs playmakers in the worst way. The Gopher QB situation is beyond awful, there isn't one guy on this roster right now worthy of playing QB for a BIG 10 program.

Top Bottom