Pitino layed an egg with the play after the technicals

This was the biggest "hindsight is 20/20" game of all-time.

If we throttle them and win, we are bashed by the national media.
If we hold our own 5v3 and win, it's a moral loss.
If they outscore us 5v3 but we win, it's a moral loss.
I forgot to reply to you. I do not think Pitino layed an egg as the OP said. Richard was in as much disbelief as the rest of us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Pitino didn't do his team any favors by letting his players screw around after the techicals. There was nothing to gain by being passive. You have 5 against 3, you kick their ass ass hard as you can and get off the court. Alabama just went from the goat to the hero's.

Let's say we go hard and win by 30... wouldn't all the headlines read something like "Minnesota runs up score on shorthanded Alabama team"? That situation really presented a double-edged sword, and I'm just glad we got out of there with a win after Sexton played out of his mind

Well here is my take... I think we kind of felt sorry for them so we took the foot off and just settled for jumpers... we were hitting for a while then we started throwing up bricks, especially Washington. As the lead dwindled, Washington kept trying to be the hero and soon enough it was a one possession game. Yes, it was a weird situation and maybe if there was 5v5, we would have played harder but then again, I don't like the fact that Washington tried to be a hero and Pitino did nothing about it. I don't think people are calling for Pitino to be fired or anything, but gotta admit it was a bit embarrassing.

I only have one complaint... if you're going to settle for jumpers, don't keep throwing up inefficient midrange shots that our players clearly haven't practiced. Bama were playing under the basket to prevent easy layups, and we consistently had a 6 foot cushion on three point shots. Take those shots; don't settle for a contested look closer in.

There was nothing classy about the indecisiveness our players were left with after the official's debacle. We were dominating them. We were being referred to as a top 10 team with the pending beat down. Now our players will have to defend their poor performance against just 3 players. Not a huge thing, just a mistake. The team with the positive press will be Alabama. It should be all about the Gophers, our players deserve it. It doesn't feel like a big win, and it should. Nate Mason's 'look off' was awesome. This is competition, it was a statement. It lost all its coolness when Nate opened his mouth. If you really are a cut above, as implied by the gesture, why do you have to defend it with words. And now Pitino will have to defend his players for letting Alabama come within one possession. Not the end of the world, but a mistake.

And he was coaching against Avery Johnson, who was a classy player and well liked by damn near everyone.

If he went the blowout route, he looks like a jerk, and the 3 players on the floor could have this affect them for the next week or more. That is not fair to them.

Does anyone really think that we couldn't have scored at will had they chosen?

People need to relax, there is no way to look good from this game.

This. Yes....we were really in a no-win situation. Crushing their confidence by running up the score could only come back to hurt us. We want Alabama to do well and look like a great win at the end of the year. Hopefully the frustration caused by the game will propel them to some more big wins.

As for the Gophers. They knew that they could have run up the score. I doubt this does anything to their confidence moving forward. We were dominating them up until the debacle.

We'll just have to deal with the media and rubes playing up Bama and tossing some ridicule at the Gophers.

Bama Fiasco is GOOD

The only thing more embarrassing than this 5 on 3 stretch would be a really bad loss at home to one of the cream puffs in non-conconference. Now, I understand that the closer score was fueled primarily by a few tough Bama threes and also the Gophers' decision not to press and casually pass around the perimeter/kill clock, but being the butt of the joke for this story probably doesn't sit well in player minds. This team was producing rock solid 5 on 5 defense and effort to that point and this will only motivate them to bring the business even more from here on out. Why wait until taking a punch in the nose (figuratively ;)) in the B1G schedule to start playing pissed? Take names from the start.

They know they played well 5 on 5 (confidence not harmed at all as would be with a 5 on 5 collapse), but they really don't come away with any sort of inflated ego baggage over the top-25 win because the embarrassment overshadows it all. Sort of feels like a "glad we didn't lose" and it'll only matter in the final tally during selection Sunday type of game. We're a tournament lock so any possible perception asterisk on this game doesn't put us at risk. I don't think we are bumped down a seed just because we didn't whoop @$$ during 10 minutes of weird mop up time.

Lessons learned on technical fouls. Giving up free free throws or getting a key player ejected hurts. Very possible that coach/players can be baited into this in the scrappy B1G. Hopefully they'll think twice before letting their "feelings" hurt the team. I like flavor and I understand that a team will have a few technicals, but the 2nd technical in quick succession is unacceptable (Mason). I give player technicals more of a pass than coach technicals because players are in heat of game, but my guess is that refs are more quick to T up coaches.

So, pride aside, this'll be a blessing in the long run. I'll take this type of wake up call any day versus a wake up call loss. A top-25 win where you're pissed and coming out with something to prove the next game? Great recipe for Miami!

This was a better outcome than us losing today. So no one can be that upset

This. Yes....we were really in a no-win situation. Crushing their confidence by running up the score could only come back to hurt us. We want Alabama to do well and look like a great win at the end of the year. Hopefully the frustration caused by the game will propel them to some more big wins.

As for the Gophers. They knew that they could have run up the score. I doubt this does anything to their confidence moving forward. We were dominating them up until the debacle.

We'll just have to deal with the media and rubes playing up Bama and tossing some ridicule at the Gophers.
I’ve read this from multiple people (even outside this forum) and so don’t feel like I’m picking on you but this is a ridiculous take. Pitino did not give a crap about Bama’s players. He didn’t “go easy” on them. He just tried to run out the clock and get a W without more tempers flaring up. It was a smart decision in the context of the game at hand. Pitino wasn’t worried about Bama’s psyche or how this would look a few weeks from now. He just wanted the W and get the guys back to Minny in one shape

This was a better outcome than us losing today. So no one can be that upset

You give me the choice and I'll take the straight up 5-15 point win, but this is my best shot at spinning this into a positive.

You give me the choice and I'll take the straight up 5-15 point win, but this is my best shot at spinning this into a positive.

I agree with your take. Was just trying to summarize it.

I look at it this way. Everyone on Twitter is like: “OMG Alabama outscored Minnesota by 8 points after being down 2 guys.”

And yet we still won the game by 5, which just goes to show how dominant we were before the absurdity began

I’ve read this from multiple people (even outside this forum) and so don’t feel like I’m picking on you but this is a ridiculous take. Pitino did not give a crap about Bama’s players. He didn’t “go easy” on them. He just tried to run out the clock and get a W without more tempers flaring up. It was a smart decision in the context of the game at hand. Pitino wasn’t worried about Bama’s psyche or how this would look a few weeks from now. He just wanted the W and get the guys back to Minny in one shape
Bogus. They could have continued to drive and draw fouls....getting them down to two or even one player....all while running down the clock. They could have left a player down the court to cherry pick playing 4 on 3 on defense. They could have pressed....victimizing the already gassed remaining three.

Plenty of easy things that would have kept this game out of hand. It was a classy move by Pitino whether or now you think so.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bogus. They could have continued to drive and draw fouls....getting them down to two or even one player....all while running down the clock. They could have left a player down the court to cherry pick playing 4 on 3 on defense. They could have pressed....victimizing the already gassed remaining three.

Plenty of easy things that would have kept this game out of hand. It was a classy move by Pitino whether or now you think so.

lol

you think the refs were going to give Minnesota the benefit of the doubt 5 v. 3?

Pitino didn't trap or play aggressive D because he knew that if one of our guys breathed on Bama, they would have been called for a foul. Same on the other end. The refs would not call a foul on Bama if we had a guy try to initiate contact. They'd more likely call a charge than a blocking foul.

Case and point: go back and watch that call on Coffey in the corner. The Bama player extends his arm and touches Coffey, and we get called for the foul. That doesn't happen if the game was 5 v. 5.... The refs were going to be easy on Bama, anybody who knows basketball understood this. That's why Pitino just wanted to run out the clock. A foul call was free points for Bama without wasting any clock.

EDIT: As far as the cherry pick idea, I think Pitino would have preferred we get stops on the defensive end. He didn't anticipate Bama making 4 to 5 Hail Mary three pointers to keep the game close.

lol

you think the refs were going to give Minnesota the benefit of the doubt 5 v. 3?

Pitino didn't trap or play aggressive D because he knew that if one of our guys breathed on Bama, they would have been called for a foul. Same on the other end. The refs would not call a foul on Bama if we had a guy try to initiate contact. They'd more likely call a charge than a blocking foul.

Case and point: go back and watch that call on Coffey in the corner. The Bama player extends his arm and touches Coffey, and we get called for the foul. That doesn't happen if the game was 5 v. 5.... The refs were going to be easy on Bama, anybody who knows basketball understood this. That's why Pitino just wanted to run out the clock. A foul call was free points for Bama without wasting any clock.
Lot's of speculation here.

Again.....cherry pick and play 4 on 3. What's your excuse for not doing that?

Lot's of speculation here.

Again.....cherry pick and play 4 on 3. What's your excuse for not doing that?

Talk about speculation. Your theory is that Pitino, a competitive coach in NCAA basketball, would go easy on his opponent.

As far as the cherry pick idea, I think Pitino would have preferred we get stops on the defensive end. He didn't anticipate Bama making 4 to 5 Hail Mary three pointers to keep the game close.

I don't usually look at the point spread, but the way this game finished made me curious. Oddly enough, the line was Minnesota -4.5.

If you had the Gophers you probably were already thinking you pocketed the money when they got down to 3 players...wow, what a way to lose a bet that would've been.

Yep we did the equivalent to the prevent defense in football when up by 3 scores with 2 minutes to go. Let them get close but it wasn't really ever in doubt. I doubt Pitino will ever be in that situation again.

I disagree with people that keep saying it was "never in doubt." Alabama had a chance to tie the game with around a minute left; they had the ball down by 3.

Let's say we go hard and win by 30... wouldn't all the headlines read something like "Minnesota runs up score on shorthanded Alabama team"? That situation really presented a double-edged sword, and I'm just glad we got out of there with a win after Sexton played out of his mind

1. If the throttle is put down, Avery maybe forfeits.

2. If the throttle is put down, you gain a sizable lead, and then start to milk the clock...putting the throttle down doesnt necessarily mean you run up the score. You simply put the game out of reach...That's when you can start running the clock.

"Alabama, using three players in second half, edged by Minnesota" - ESPN

That's exactly how I was worried it would be spun. Should've stepped on their throats for five minutes and THEN let up.

read what the national sports media are saying, wake the eff up. We're currently an embarrassment and some of you think that's fine? WTF

Sexton was really fatigued and appeared angry and playing out of control. He was ripe for getting more Gophers in trouble, getting ejected, or injured (like Petty). Going to a shoot around style of to play the clock out was just fine. The problem is we all thought it could go wrong and lose to 3 players since we weren't pulling away. A bit unnerving.

I wonder if Nate gets a suspension? Fleck would sit him for 3-4 games. Culture. :)

Anxious to hear Pitino's comments on it after what had to be an uncomfortable night's sleep. I am sure Dad had some advice as well.

All a result of Mason deciding to play a little street ball for the hometown crowd. I am sure he matured greatly from this. I think some IW influence may have crept into his game momentarily.

The Alabama coaches allowed this to happen. Hope they straighten up and have a great year. We will.

Good perspective. A little embarrassment is good for this teams motivation, but the embarrassment will be ultimately unimportant since it’s a resume win anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMA Fiasco? Holy smokes folks are losing their **** over nothing. It was a random and freak thing that happened...oh, and we were crushing them 5v5. Nobody will remember this a week from now if we beat Miami. If we lose to Miami the only folks that remember are the folks calling it a Fiasco. Come Feb and March, who gives a rip if we got outscored 5v3. Are folks really that upset and worried that the next time Coach Pitino faces a 5v3 situation we won't know how to handle it?

For the love of God, stop it, everyone!

Now, if we get the 3 v 14 seed and the 14 is Middle TN State and they decide to only play 3, I may get a little worried, other than that scenario, stop it.. Just stop.

I hate how this is being spun. We are the laughing stock and that will probably last another day or two.

I wanted so badly for us to stomp on their throats during five on three ball.

24 hour (or less) news cycles, short attention spans and a full Sunday of frigging NFL will relegate the false “Alabama nearly defeats Gophers 5-3” narrative to irrelevancy. Gophers are 7-0, likely a top 10 team when the polls come out Monday. I’m good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beating Top 25 teams on neutral courts is fun. Beating solid Big East teams on the road is fun.

Wednesday night will be fun.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom