Pitino layed an egg with the play after the technicals

JCK

Reaction score
Pitino didn't do his team any favors by letting his players screw around after the techicals. There was nothing to gain by being passive. You have 5 against 3, you kick their ass ass hard as you can and get off the court. Alabama just went from the goat to the hero's.

Pitino didn't do his team any favors by letting his players screw around after the techicals. There was nothing to gain by being passive. You have 5 against 3, you kick their ass ass hard as you can and get off the court. Alabama just went from the goat to the hero's.

Agree

I would guess he has never had that happen before and will have his team attack more next time.
He was probably trying to be nice.

Disagree. Going for the jugular would mean drives to the basket, possible charges, possible elbows, possible injuries, possible fights.

Calm down, everyone.

Agree

I would guess he has never had that happen before and will have his team attack more next time.
He was probably trying to be nice.

Fairly certain he won't have a second chance to go 5 on 3.

Disagree. Going for the jugular would mean drives to the basket, possible charges, possible elbows, possible injuries, possible fights.

Calm down, everyone.

Yep we did the equivalent to the prevent defense in football when up by 3 scores with 2 minutes to go. Let them get close but it wasn't really ever in doubt. I doubt Pitino will ever be in that situation again.

Calm down, everyone.

You could simply run the ball, they couldn't keep up. The layups would come with no one back on defense. Get the score up to a point where it's either very comfortable, then play nice, or else they forfeit.

He did the classy thing, that is always the right thing.

Heck, you could even leave one player back on offense to cherry pick and still have 4 defenders vs their 3 offensive players.

If Pitino's biggest fault is that he's not a very good coach with a 5 on 3 advantage... I'll take him.

I can’t wait to watch this game to realize the overreaction that’s going on.

Well here is my take... I think we kind of felt sorry for them so we took the foot off and just settled for jumpers... we were hitting for a while then we started throwing up bricks, especially Washington. As the lead dwindled, Washington kept trying to be the hero and soon enough it was a one possession game. Yes, it was a weird situation and maybe if there was 5v5, we would have played harder but then again, I don't like the fact that Washington tried to be a hero and Pitino did nothing about it. I don't think people are calling for Pitino to be fired or anything, but gotta admit it was a bit embarrassing.

I'm cool with 1 technical. Have a little flavor. I'm not cool with a second because you're butthurt.

He did the classy thing, that is always the right thing.

Didn’t watch the game, and I’m glad to see your opinion on this. Seems like a lot of unfounded anger on Pitino for what amounts to a jump shooting exhibition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he was coaching against Avery Johnson, who was a classy player and well liked by damn near everyone.

If he went the blowout route, he looks like a jerk, and the 3 players on the floor could have this affect them for the next week or more. That is not fair to them.

Does anyone really think that we couldn't have scored at will had they chosen?

People need to relax, there is no way to look good from this game.

Gophers looked just as discombobulated as Alabama with three in five. They looked confused and not sure what to do.

Sad part is before mason’s ejection we were really dominating them

Agreed.

I've watched a lot hockey and you have to be able to convert in a 5-3.

11 minutes and they couldn't pull away- I'm done with this team!

In hindsight should have played 4on3 and cherry picked every time we got the ball.

You could simply run the ball, they couldn't keep up. The layups would come with no one back on defense. Get the score up to a point where it's either very comfortable, then play nice, or else they forfeit.

Then the national dialogue is “look how classless Pitino is” when playing 5 on 3.

All jokes aside, why were we not pushing the ball up the floor? They were GASSED, and hello, it was 5 on 3!
We walked it up and put ourselves in awkward positions to shoot awkward shots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

All jokes aside, why were we not pushing the ball up the floor? They were GASSED, and hello, it was 5 on 3!
We walked it up and put ourselves in awkward positions to shoot awkward shots.

This was the biggest "hindsight is 20/20" game of all-time.

If we throttle them and win, we are bashed by the national media.
If we hold our own 5v3 and win, it's a moral loss.
If they outscore us 5v3 but we win, it's a moral loss.

I just found it odd. You don't throttle them per se. But keep it where it was, 10 or 12.

I have coached at the HS level. I always think about how it is easier to coach from the couch!

But yes. Who could ever imagine two top 25s playing some awkward feeling 5 on 3?!

I think my star of the game was Harris. He hit two really big 3s late in the wreck show.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom