Should Mason sit Wednesday?

Do some of you not realize this is a perfect game for the coach to defend his players and show he has their back, nice lead, early in season. If we are as good as we all hope this game would have liitle impact on our season had we lost. I think the scare and the ripping they are getting for being outscored 5v3 is a good lesson on keeping their composure and never going soft on anyone from here on out. Coach might be criticised by the world but in that locker room he is not and thats whats truly important. Now they come out of a win with something to prove. I would not want to be Miami on Wednesday.....

If you're only going to sit Mason for a couple minutes & you're going to tell him you're only doing it for appearances, why do it at all? He already had to sit out the rest of the Bama game and watch his team almost blow a 13 point lead without him, while playing 5 on 3. If the lesson wasn't learned yesterday, I don't see how sitting a few minutes in the next game is going to teach it.

Plus...we're playing #11 Miami. If IW is starting, by the time Mason gets in the game it could already be over.

I think IW is fine. He’s a freshman, who is also very confident. Last year Michael Hurt was afraid of his own shadow. I’ll live with the mistakes made by a confident kid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only thing Mason deserves is that the clip of him breaking Sexton's ankles, the stare down, then drilling the three be played up on the big screen before every home game.

Yes, what an awesome idea. You think the Gophers have the balls to do this. What a lift it would give to our team. When Mason gave the 'look off' at Sexton, he didn't smile, had no expression, didn't say a word, just buried the three. It was better than a buzzer beater. Masons a stud, no harm in celebrating it.

I’m Good with Mason. I’m Good with Pitino. I’m Good with this team. We’re Good to go!

Yes, what an awesome idea. You think the Gophers have the balls to do this. What a lift it would give to our team. When Mason gave the 'look off' at Sexton, he didn't smile, had no expression, didn't say a word, just buried the three. It was better than a buzzer beater. Masons a stud, no harm in celebrating it.

Anyone have a link to the clip????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benching Mason should never have even entered the coaches mind.

you need to be on the board longer before you can assert that.

Was on here with a different username for the first 3 years. Something with the number 33 in it, but I can't remember exactly what it was.

I wasn’t watching super close, but it seems this whole mess was caused by Mason acting like a punk.

I've read a lot of dumb stuff on GH, but this might take the cake. Sexton was jawing at him the whole game, after almost every bucket. The arena looked more like Rucker Park at times than college basketball game. Mason completely undressed him on the 3-pointer, and he's a projected top-10 pick next year. Of course he's going to give him a little stare and let him know about it. That's what competitors do.

It got a little carried away and I'm not sure what Mason said after they bumped, but an ejection seemed a bit much. Separate the two, talk to them and move on. Credit Pitino for standing up for his senior PG and his team. Alabama was cocky and chippy the whole game. Thought I saw Pitino saying something like "Let me talk to my guys" to the ref, but not totally sure.

What I haven't seen on here much is the complete lack of discipline of Alabama's bench when McBrayer got tangled up. Would've been interesting to see what might have transpired if it was in front of the Gophers' bench.

Nothing good could've come from the 5-on-3. If you press them, turn the ball over and get lay-ups and 3s, you look bad. If you let them stay in the game, you look bad. They did the best they could in a terrible spot, not embarrassing Alabama and draining the shot clock every possession. Make a few more shots and if Alabama doesn't hit their ridiculous ones, it's a non-story.

Have a talk with Mason this week, though he already knows how much he means to this team. Can't wait for Wednesday night, The Barn will be rocking!

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...ter-ejection-led-to-bizarre-ending/460091223/

^You can see the look a little better if you scroll down and watch here. The no emotion stare is my favorite. Making the shot made it all the better. If you think he should sit for a ref crying about hurt feelings then you can sit at home with your hurt feelings. This team has some fight - I like it.

On Pitino's front, if you don't like our young coach sharing our team's emotion and energy then I don't know what to tell you. See ya'll Wednesday - Barn is about to be poppin'.

This thread is ridiculous. Sexton is a good player but known for being cocky. I don't doubt he was jawing at Mason. Mason made him look foolish. They got into it. Mason lost his cool for a second. Sure, I wish he hadn't. But even the 2nd T was questionable given what was going on. Now we're going to bench him and strip him of being a captain? Give me a break.

You bet he was! There were close ups on Sexton when Mason brought the ball up where you saw him talking trash to Mason all game. It wore Mason down. I also believe Sexton was talking trash to Washington too. You'll see after the Mason ejection that the assistants talked Washington off the ledge and told him to stay on point and focus on finishing the game.

I hope on the first play of the game vs Miami that Mason shoots a 3 and starts running back on D before it even hits the net, like Steph Curry. Then I hope he holds 3 fingers in the air for the next 19+ minutes just to prove his point. After that game I hope he thanks God, his family and Sexton for motivating him to score 100 points vs Miami, with one hand raised above his head the entire time.

I hope on the first play of the game vs Miami that Mason shoots a 3 and starts running back on D before it even hits the net, like Steph Curry.

Actually, that's probably my biggest pet peeve about basketball today: 3-point shooters running back on D and not even attempting to follow their shots.

Now maybe that's all part of the plan: If you shot it, it's your job to get back because 3-pointers tend to have longer rebounds...but in general, it seems like the fundamental skill of "follow your shot" is gone from the game.

Actually, that's probably my biggest pet peeve about basketball today: 3-point shooters running back on D and not even attempting to follow their shots.

Now maybe that's all part of the plan: If you shot it, it's your job to get back because 3-pointers tend to have longer rebounds...but in general, it seems like the fundamental skill of "follow your shot" is gone from the game.

There is actually quite a bit of advanced analytics that show following your shot is a BAD thing. I'll try to find the most recent article I read. I agree it goes against what we've all been taught.

I am joking about him doing that. Would probably get boo'd by his own fans for showboating.

It was a long time ago but even 20 years ago in youth basketball I was taught that the shooter (from outside shots only) is the first one back while everyone else on the court can go for the rebound.

I've never been a big believer in following your shot from experience. Definitely makes it harder to make it if your thinking about grabbing the rebound while your shooting or coming back down after jumping. Just feels very unnatural unless you wait a good bit until after you shoot it to chase your rebound. Your usually going to have a hard time shooting a decent percentage if you immediately go for the board the second after you shoot it.

I've never been a big believer in following your shot from experience. Definitely makes it less harder to make it if your thinking about grabbing the rebound while your shooting or coming back down after jumping. Just feels very unnatural unless you wait a good bit until after you shoot it to chase your rebound. Your usually going to have a hard time shooting a decent percentage if you immediately go for the board the second after you shoot it.

There are options though:
#1 - Immediately start jogging down the court before the second the ball leaves your hand (what most do)
#2 - Wait a second to see where the rebound goes before moving (what some do)
#3 - Stampede straight toward the hoop (what nobody should do)

Top Bottom