Should Mason sit Wednesday?

Oh, and to add...

No way Bama sniffs our double digit lead if Mason didn't get himself tossed.

If he doesn't start the first half Pitino needs to call a timeout 30 seconds in and play him. Any travesty here is that Sexton wasn't tossed with him.

sexton didn't get a second T...

Many people here are applauding Pitino for having enough class to not kick Alabama when they were down (a move which nearly cost us the game, BTW).

How about Mason have enough class to be above talking sh*t and nearly costing his team a W?

This is a message board and what everyone thinks about Mason's decision and what the coach does about it is exactly what this board is for. I don't think he should sit but not starting the first few minutes of the game is fine with me. But saying that someone shouldn't start a post about it is silly.

Also the fact that Pitino also got T'd up after it may lessen his response to Mason. Who knows. We shall see. Sad part is that before all this went down, Mason was having his best game of the year going head to head against another great player.

This thread title sums up my reaction upon logging on this morning to this board. Oh, and we are undefeated.. just wanted to toss that nugget out. Okay, carry on wringing your hands. I will focus on the excitement of the Miami game.

The only thing dumber than the initial posts calling for Pitino and Mason to sit is this thread and the OP, starting yet another new thread on the same topic. You should have just done what your original post said, and focus on the excitement of the Miami game. Instead here we are.

Wow, really? We're undefeated? That's news... thanks.

I don't know about others, but I think Pitino should not start Mason the first half of the next game. What happens if Mason or anyone else does this in big game that we're not as talented as? What if the team starts thinking "Hey, Coach has our back even if we lose our cool and get technicals for mouthing off."

People were correctly saying it was the refs' fault for allowing it to happen and then adding more to it, but that's what my point is here... Pitino should pull the whole team aside today or tomorrow and have a nice talk with them and tell them how no one should be above the team and lose their cool. Pull Mason aside and tell him he's just sitting him at the start of the next game and using him as an example so that something like that never happens again. First TV Time-out, he comes off the bench. Done. No harm, lessons learned.

If you're only going to sit Mason for a couple minutes & you're going to tell him you're only doing it for appearances, why do it at all? He already had to sit out the rest of the Bama game and watch his team almost blow a 13 point lead without him, while playing 5 on 3. If the lesson wasn't learned yesterday, I don't see how sitting a few minutes in the next game is going to teach it.

Plus...we're playing #11 Miami. If IW is starting, by the time Mason gets in the game it could already be over.

There is no bigger fan and homer than me, but have you guys thought of what would happen if Mason is not made into an example for what he did? What if Pitino does nothing and all the other players who view Mason as a leader get too cocky and do something similar? Sure I don't really think what happened after Bama's bench was ejected to be normal but don't forget, after Mason was tossed, the momentum was all Bama. They were only down 7 with a big 3point shot. With the way Washington played down the stretch, I really don't want to put the ball in his hands for the last 10 minutes (at least this season). Now... I'm not saying to suspend Mason, all I'm saying is he needs to talk to the team and say "Hey, I love you guys but you can't put us in the same situation, we need you guys to keep your cool" and then as a penalty, just not start Mason in the next game in the first half. He can play but just not start the first half. I don't think we'd win vs the better teams if Mason does this against them.
I think you are right, I think if he doesn’t bench mason everyone on the team will think it is good to be ejected.

Which brings me to my next point:
Don’t smoke crack

The only thing dumber than the initial posts calling for Pitino and Mason to sit is this thread and the OP, starting yet another new thread on the same topic. You should have just done what your original post said, and focus on the excitement of the Miami game. Instead here we are.

+1

I think you are right, I think if he doesn’t bench mason everyone on the team will think it is good to be ejected.

Which brings me to my next point:
Don’t smoke crack

Because there is no such thing as a team getting too cocky right? So let's just let Mason, or anyone else, do what ever he wants even if it costs the team right?

Smoke some crack, it might help you figure out what reality is and isn't.

If you're only going to sit Mason for a couple minutes & you're going to tell him you're only doing it for appearances, why do it at all? He already had to sit out the rest of the Bama game and watch his team almost blow a 13 point lead without him, while playing 5 on 3. If the lesson wasn't learned yesterday, I don't see how sitting a few minutes in the next game is going to teach it.

Plus...we're playing #11 Miami. If IW is starting, by the time Mason gets in the game it could already be over.

Because an example needs to be made to the rest of the team. And if the game is over by the time he gets in, well guess what? Mason cost the team.

The Hot Takes are Coming

Man the hot takes are coming fast and furious this morning. Obviously yesterday's game was an interesting anomaly but apparently MN didn't dominate the game for 30 minutes and now should be 'embarrassed', 'ashamed' and more that Bama 'almost won'. Now MN is 'overrated', 'exposed', etc. Now obviously 99.9% of those saying that didn't see the game, probably can't name a player on either team other than Sexton, and don't know much of anything but I'm beginning to wonder if this game may actually hurt our profile in the rankings. Most voters didn't watch this game either so if its just 'Bama almost won anyway', we could be hurt in the polls

Man the hot takes are coming fast and furious this morning. Obviously yesterday's game was an interesting anomaly but apparently MN didn't dominate the game for 30 minutes and now should be 'embarrassed', 'ashamed' and more that Bama 'almost won'. Now MN is 'overrated', 'exposed', etc. Now obviously 99.9% of those saying that didn't see the game, probably can't name a player on either team other than Sexton, and don't know much of anything but I'm beginning to wonder if this game may actually hurt our profile in the rankings. Most voters didn't watch this game either so if its just 'Bama almost won anyway', we could be hurt in the polls

Yea!! Another "hot take" thread. Seriously, your opinion was so important like Rouser's that you had to start your own thread??

Wow, really? We're undefeated? That's news... thanks.

I don't know about others, but I think Pitino should not start Mason the first half of the next game. What happens if Mason or anyone else does this in big game that we're not as talented as? What if the team starts thinking "Hey, Coach has our back even if we lose our cool and get technicals for mouthing off."

I hope Mason does have the chance to do it again. It is great fun. He needs to understand that his big mistake was talking back, as if Bama didn't get the point he just made with the 'look off'. As for Pitino, he was actively calling for a time out. The ref's ignored him and it blew up. Educate Mason, you don't bench him for great play. There are lots of things to learn from this game. I don't want Mason to have any doubts about how he plays. I want him to play as aggressive as he is comfortable playing. It would seem that a lot of the folks on this forum would have wanted Mason to stop play and help Sexton back to his feet. You guys have to decide if you want winners or wannabes.

Who the f*** cares about the rankings!!!! beat Miami on Wednesday and it wont matter. We likely wouldn't be top 10 in the polls anyway so don't say that it impacted us when they came out. The only team who was above us who will surely now be below us is Arizona.

Irony?

GH mods, can we get an all things Alabama or all things embarrassment thread? Yikes this board is off right now.

In March will anyone outside of Minnesota or Alabama remember this or will it simply be a good win for Minnesota for NCAA seeding? My guess is the latter.

My biggest gripe is with Pitino. It's his team and his program and it's the second time I've seen him compound a problem situation in a big game. I know I'm in the minority in this thread but, when you think about it, is this how you want the leader handling critical situations?
Fine with it when there is reason to do it which there has been each time he has done it.

As far as rankings go next week is a big one Miami, Rutgers, than @ Nebraska and @Arkansas before the 12/12 polls comeout

Irony?

GH mods, can we get an all things Alabama or all things embarrassment thread? Yikes this board is off right now.

In March will anyone outside of Minnesota or Alabama remember this or will it simply be a good win for Minnesota for NCAA seeding? My guess is the latter.

No irony, I'm talking about national reaction. Theaters narrative being spoken on from national writers so it's a valid question

Yea!! Another "hot take" thread. Seriously, your opinion was so important like Rouser's that you had to start your own thread??

Important enough for you to comment, apparently. You don't like it then keep your mouth shut and move on

Again - I'm not talking about benching Mason. I'm talking about not starting him. As a symbolic gesture, that no one player is above the team. Mason allowed himself to get caught up in a personal trash-talking battle with Sexton. He got 2 Technical fouls, and his absence from the floor definitely hurt the team.

As a teaching moment, I am fine with Mason not starting. He can come into the game at the first dead ball, or if Pitino feels the need, he can call a time-out and put Mason in. Just don't start him. That's all I'm saying.

And I would advocate the same approach for any player who gets 2 T's in a game and is ejected. you don't start the next game. Make it a team rule.

As others have noted, until the fracas broke out, the U was playing really well against a ranked opponent. They were on their way to a solid win. Then, after the fracas, the focus and the national attention turned to the 5-on-3 and the other oddball aspects of the game. So, as a coach, I don't think you want to just ignore it or pretend it didn't happen. If Mason keeps his mouth shut, there is no fracas, and a completely different reaction to the game. (I am assuming that the incident with McBrayer doesn't happen without the Mason-Sexton to-do. I could be wrong).

Fine with it when there is reason to do it which there has been each time he has done it.

Last night wasn’t the time to do it. We had dominated Bama and they were crawling back in the game, gaining momentum, when he handed them two free throws. One of our top players was gone and Bama has a good team with one of the best freshmen in the country. Why take a tech at that point?

If the Bama bench hadn’t provided a gift to the gophers, this board might be screaming at Pitino this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night wasn’t the time to do it. We had dominated Bama and they were crawling back in the game, gaining momentum, when he handed them two free throws. One of our top players was gone and Bama has a good team with one of the best freshmen in the country. Why take a tech at that point?

If the Bama bench hadn’t provided a gift to the gophers, this board might be screaming at Pitino this morning.

if mason hadn't provided a gift to bama, you'd have nothing to bitch about today. my gosh, do you always search far and wide for the most negative take?

This is one of the funniest threads yet. You'd think it was real instead a parody. Well done!

if mason hadn't provided a gift to bama, you'd have nothing to bitch about today. my gosh, do you always search far and wide for the most negative take?

Nope. When something easily avoidable happens on the screen that could have been a impediment to the best team and the best season since ‘97, it’s not a felony to call it out.

This team is on the way to something great and there will be some tense moments along the way. Do we have a coach who is going to cost his team a critical win because he can’t control himself in a tight moment? There were probably 3K fans in the building with about 100 egging the players on. What will happen late in the season at Purdue or MSU with the B1G on the line? You can’t give away FT’s and possessions.

With Mason the exception, didn’t the entire team demonstrate excellent composure by staying on the bench when Alabama charged and diffusing each other rather than adding to the pushing/shoving?

I don’t think we need to worry that this team will lose its composure in the future because of Mason’s actions. Look to how they acted just several minutes later when the emotions were still high. They kept their cool.

Fun thread though...

You guys know that a team official already announced that mason will play against Miami, per Marcus Fuller, right?

Dumbest thread I've seen in a while. It's not like he threw a punch or something. Lock this one up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I hope Mason does have the chance to do it again. It is great fun. He needs to understand that his big mistake was talking back, as if Bama didn't get the point he just made with the 'look off'. As for Pitino, he was actively calling for a time out. The ref's ignored him and it blew up. Educate Mason, you don't bench him for great play. There are lots of things to learn from this game. I don't want Mason to have any doubts about how he plays. I want him to play as aggressive as he is comfortable playing. It would seem that a lot of the folks on this forum would have wanted Mason to stop play and help Sexton back to his feet. You guys have to decide if you want winners or wannabes.

So he can't play aggressive without talking smack and getting T'd up, without getting tossed out of a game? He's arguably the most important player on the team. No one is saying he shouldn't be aggressive. Heck, talk smack all you want but you have to know when to stop so you don't cost your team. You're basically saying Lynch should keep fouling because you'd rather he play aggressive, no matter if he fouls out or not.

Top Bottom