Should Mason sit Wednesday?

I don't think so, Moon. Pitino compounded a situation that was getting out of control. I saw him do the same thing in Milwaukee late in the game and it didn't look good and it wasn't helpful. It was a tantrum. (Milwaukee was worse than NY. He was basically airborne when he went after the ref.)

He's got a chance to do something really special this year and beyond, if he can manage himself and his team.

Well kicking away a potential top 10 win to appease a tiny irrational % of his fan base won't help. It's fine to be disappointed in Mason but the over-reaction here is so over the top.

Wait, you're ripping Pitino for getting a tech sticking up for his player? I don't care for this take.

What mason did was dumb. After the double technicals he needed to shut his mouth. But no one should sit next game. Not even close.

Just when you think you can’t get another can’t make it up post another pops up.

you are way off on your take. you either didn't watch the game or don't watch sports. i love that he stuck up for mason. you had a terrible original post and are now doubling down on dumb. you act like potus with doubling down on awful takes.

I watched the whole game. My wife says I watch too much sports. I've been a gopher hoops fan forever. I like Moonlight a lot. You can stick up for your player without getting a tech.

Don't ever compare me to trump, motherf&&&er. :)

This thread is ridiculous. Sexton is a good player but known for being cocky. I don't doubt he was jawing at Mason. Mason made him look foolish. They got into it. Mason lost his cool for a second. Sure, I wish he hadn't. But even the 2nd T was questionable given what was going on. Now we're going to bench him and strip him of being a captain? Give me a break.

+1

It's easy to pass judgement when watching from your couch. I'd like to hear from someone who was there. Announcers were saying atmosphere was really charged up, players, coaches and fans.
If you had the volume up during the stream, you could hear the fans (clearly fans of Sexton) yapping away at the Gophs players every time up the court.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't think so, Moon. Pitino compounded a situation that was getting out of control. I saw him do the same thing in Milwaukee late in the game and it didn't look good and it wasn't helpful. It was a tantrum. (Milwaukee was worse than NY. He was basically airborne when he went after the ref.)

He's got a chance to do something really special this year and beyond, if he can manage himself and his team.
We'll agree to disagree. I notice not one bench player from MN entered the fray, so I suspect there's some decent discipline going on. Proximity helped but still.
Remember when Dan Monson was all embarrased about taking his jacket off and throwing it? I think his wife called him out on it, IIRC.

He should be stripped of captaincy...just a boneheaded move from your senior 1st team all conference guy. He deserved being ejected

And I thought the idiots resided in the football forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mason deserves to start on the bench for a game... seriously, he lost his cool and almost cost the team. Don't forget, after Mason got tossed, Alabama got within 7 and might have even caught up because they had all the momentum. A senior should know better than that.
Not at all. This was purely a subjective call made by the ref. Some refs may have just brought the players together for a warning before giving techs. Its called competitive spirit and if there's no physical harm involved, I say let em play. In reality, the fans were really cheated because we were in store for an epic battle between 2 of the nation's top PGs.

Lol at Mason sitting a whole game. Have him not start and sit until the first break in play then put him in. Enough punishment to say don't do that again, and that's all that's necessary. He didn't shove or throw a punch or anything.

No. This is major college sports not little league. If, he threw a punch at somebody or went Grayson Allen and tripped somebody this question might make sense. He got tossed for trash talking. You hope he learns a lesson from it and move on...probably after some sprints on Sunday on Monday morning.

Not at all. This was purely a subjective call made by the ref. Some refs may have just brought the players together for a warning before giving techs. Its called competitive spirit and if there's no physical harm involved, I say let em play. In reality, the fans were really cheated because we were in store for an epic battle between 2 of the nation's top PGs.

Agreed - absolutely no foresight on the ref's part.

And I thought the idiots resided in the football forum

Really? What did i get wrong? Mason talked trash got T'd up and then continued to run his mouth.

Your leaders (especially a senior Pg who is 1st team all conference) are supposed to be level headed, if he get thats butt hurt about talking smack maybe he shouldn't be considered a leader. He made the game all about him and it could have bit us in the butt

Baker Mayfield loses captaincy over croch grab, im ok with Mason losing his if even for a game

Sid Hartman only comes around after losses or badger wins. There’s no question why he’s on the board today. Just a troll.

Really? What did i get wrong? Mason talked trash got T'd up and then continued to run his mouth.

Your leaders (especially a senior Pg who is 1st team all conference) are supposed to be level headed, if he get thats butt hurt about talking smack maybe he shouldn't be considered a leader. He made the game all about him and it could have bit us in the butt
You're definitely into butts, Sid. What's the story?

They both lost control and put themselves before the team. I blame Pitino more than Mason. I was at the Middle Tennessee State NCAA game when Pitino lost control and had to be physically restrained from the referee like you prevent a young dog that is still being trained from jumping on a visitor to your home. Pitino compounded the Mason/Sexton situation by losing his composure. He wasn't "defending his team" and "defending his player." He was acting like a brat, a child, and he cost his team points, a possession and momentum. I wonder how he behaves at home when there is a problem?

Mason is only twenty one or twenty two and he was feeling it, but it was still stupid.

They both need a game off. No way Coyle has the balls to do it.

I remembr just a couple years ago when people would get pissed at Tubby for sitting on his stool and just giving the refs the"Tubby Stare-down."
Sheesh, the whining and complaining here never stops,.

Where is Miles Tarver's pacifism when it's needed?

FWIW, Spencer Tollackson on the radio broadcast was fairly critical of Mason. I can't quote him word-for-word, but the gist was that Mason is a senior and a team leader, and needs to stay in control on the court. He let himself get in a trash-talking duel with a freshman, and then compounded matters by jawing at the Bama bench. Tollackson also said one of his teammates should have come over, grabbed Mason and pulled him away before the situation escalated.

So, Spencer Tollackson, a former Gopher player, said Mason deserves some of the blame for the situation. I think a fair response would be that he doesn't start the next game, and has to wait until the first TV time-out to come in.

And, as always - I ask the question - if an IA or WI player did the same thing, how would Gopher fans respond? I suspect they would have a much harsher view of the player's culpability.

Where is Miles Tarver's pacifism when it's needed?
I remember KFAN had a bet his senior year as to whether he would finish with more fouls or points.
It was very close - down to the last game.

FWIW, Spencer Tollackson on the radio broadcast was fairly critical of Mason. I can't quote him word-for-word, but the gist was that Mason is a senior and a team leader, and needs to stay in control on the court. He let himself get in a trash-talking duel with a freshman, and then compounded matters by jawing at the Bama bench. Tollackson also said one of his teammates should have come over, grabbed Mason and pulled him away before the situation escalated.

So, Spencer Tollackson, a former Gopher player, said Mason deserves some of the blame for the situation. I think a fair response would be that he doesn't start the next game, and has to wait until the first TV time-out to come in.

And, as always - I ask the question - if an IA or WI player did the same thing, how would Gopher fans respond? I suspect they would have a much harsher view of the player's culpability.

I was listening and I thought Spencer's take was fair and appropriate and actually good to hear from a former player/announcer being critical of a current player (too often announcers are afraid to criticize current players, especially in college).

I am confident Pitino will handle Mason appropriately and I expect him to have a big game in front of a rocking crowd on Wednesday.

Go Gophers!!

Christ on a bike. I reread the post title... now it’s implied that our coach should sit out a game too? Just wow...

No question he deserves some blame but he was ejected and had to sit out most of the second half for an incident that, on the whole, wasn't that serious. I'm sure the experience will teach him to shut up after getting a technical foul. Throwing out the entire Alabama bench was a major overreaction was well even if it was in the rule book. I guess they'll learn not to step in the court again.

Christ on a bike. I reread the post title... now it’s implied that our coach should sit out a game too? Just wow...

Clem would have missed 5-6 games per season. We only want Bud Grant clones.

No Mason should not sit and while I would've liked to see him a bit calmer after the 1st T he definitely didn't deserve the 2nd one. The refs let it get to the point where there was a lot of taking and most of it being done by Sexton. Mason put Sexton on his butt with the step back and Sexton couldn't take it. Sexton was frustrated because he isn't used to being outplayed and Mason definitely did that so Sexton started talking more and Mason didn't back down. Pitino was also absolutely right to stand up for Mason and let the refs have it.

The trash taking goes back to first half. If watching, at the half seton was shown turning back and talking more smack. Have no idea why Sexton was not tossed either. Regardless, mason must do better controlling his emotions.

Top Bottom