What grade would you give PJ Fleck in his Gopher debut season?

What grade would you give PJ Fleck in his Gopher debut season?

• A

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • B

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • C

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • D

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • F

Votes: 38 18.1%

• Total voters
How is a 5 - 7 season exactly like a 9 - 4 season?

How is a 2-7 conference record exactly like a 5-4 conference record?

What color is the sky in your world, son?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Blue. We didn't bet anyone last year. Or the year before. Or the majority of the years over the last 50. I gave him a C because it went about as expected.

I went with a "D" and would have went with a "D-" if it was available. Any year that includes losses to both Iowa and Wisconsin gets no better than a "D" from me. The win over Nebraska and the fact that he was really left a depleted roster that included no experience at QB and then was further depleted by key injuries keeps it from being an "F". I was one who defended Coach Fleck and this staff after the Maryland game, but in hindsight that certainly looks like a mistake. That was a bad loss.

With that said, I give Coach Fleck high marks for his recruiting so far and his ability to get the Gophers positive national media attention (ex the kicker scholarship from the sick kid) that has been rare for the program. I expected this season to be rough from a W's and L's perspective regardless of who was the coach, so just because he ended up with 1-2 fewer wins than I expected doesn't mean that I am not hopeful for the future. It is all about actually beating rivals consistently and winning the B1G west occasionally for me. I hope Coach Fleck is the guy to do that.

How is a 5 - 7 season exactly like a 9 - 4 season?

How is a 2-7 conference record exactly like a 5-4 conference record?

What color is the sky in your world, son?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

But but but Elite!

Based on the last two games, can't be higher than a D. That said, not sure there was anything he could have done today to make it any more of a game. Easy to bitch about not trying or being too conservative; but, sorry, when you're that outmanned, it doesn't matter what you call. Wisconsin ran basic patterns but their receivers often had 3 or 4 yards between themselves and the defenders. And their QB had the protection to set and throw. I think I only saw one play where we had a receiver that open, and I think Demry was flushed and tackled for a loss because the blocking broke down. Thought the defense played hard the first half, but, eventually, that line chews you up.

Based on the last two games, can't be higher than a D. That said, not sure there was anything he could have done today to make it any more of a game. Easy to bitch about not trying or being too conservative; but, sorry, when you're that outmanned, it doesn't matter what you call. Wisconsin ran basic patterns but their receivers often had 3 or 4 yards between themselves and the defenders. And their QB had the protection to set and throw. I think I only saw one play where we had a receiver that open, and I think Demry was flushed and tackled for a loss because the blocking broke down. Thought the defense played hard the first half, but, eventually, that line chews you up.

I feel a little bad for our corners because we were bringing up safety help to stop the run which meant that they needed to give more cushion. Tough to pin this on them. More of a complement to Taylor than anything else.

I was generous and voted C just because the recruiting class is shaping up nicely. If I was voting on just the on field product, I'd drop it to a D.

Blue. We didn't bet anyone last year. Or the year before. Or the majority of the years over the last 50. I gave him a C because it went about as expected.

Did you expect to start "Year 1" building on a string of 8 scoreless quarters (123+minuntes)?

Did you expect to start "Year 1" building on a string of 8 scoreless quarters (123+minuntes)?

It didn't surprise me after we lost our only competent receiver. A receiver who would likely only be the 2nd or 3rd best receiver on most other good B1G teams. We played two of the best defenses the last two games with no passing game whatsoever.

You expected us to lose to Maryland and Purdue as well as go scoreless for the last 8 quarters of the season?

GWG, did you expected to lose to Maryland and Purdue, too?

I thought Purdue was the one game they blew. The Maryland game didn't surprise me at all.

My how we forget: (your prediction for Maryland game):clap::clap::clap:

Gophers 20 Maryland 10

Maryland gets their only TD on a pick 6.

My how we forget: (your prediction for Maryland game)

Gophers 20 Maryland 10

Maryland gets their only TD on a pick 6.

That's when I thought our QB was better then their 3rd string QB, which was obviously not the case while watching the game. Then when Winfield went down and their OL mauled our tiny DL, that changed things just a bit.

D is for all of the ******y behavior and saying's. Learn how to be a better head coach, this program is going nowhere fast anytime soon.

That's when I thought our QB was better then their 3rd string QB, which was obviously not the case while watching the game. Then when Winfield went down and their OL mauled our tiny DL, that changed things just a bit.

Hardly what you said in post #42.
beep, beep, beep, beep...weather truck backing up.

But with all Maryland's offensive weapons (or so we're told), you thought we'd shut them down. Then one db went down and that's what it took for Maryland to explore the running game. Then the Maryland coaches noticed, "hey their DE's aren't very big." My oh my you're a great football mind.

Thus, in your opinion had AW11 not went down, you expected Maryland to get a FG and a pick 6, BUT that game "didn't surprise" you.

D. Hard to watch the post game pressers where PJ would talk about needing to coach better, and seeing the same thing out of the offense again, and again, etc...The repetitive messages starts to ring hollow even if you own it when the performance does not seem to change. It was all too easy to watch these games and call what was coming and I am an absolute novice. So as of today, I have not been impressed with PJs HOW on game days.

I am tired of the self promotion even if it does bear fruit in recruiting. Last week there was a list of firsts for the team, first coach (from outside the program and I loved how they had the balls to clarify that point) to win five games in his first year. Is he also the first to go scoreless in two Big Ten games in a season? I do not know, but I would dare say it is pretty rare. I am ready for this season to be over.

I was impressed with the D, but I am not sure who should get the credit for that.

I am hoping Santoso is graduating. He seemed to be the master of kicking the ball 30 when he needed 50 and vice versa. That guy came in with immense potential and tools and seemed to go nowhere.

And yet I support Fleck and hope he can deliver as promised....just very skeptical after year one.

Hardly what you said in post #42.
beep, beep, beep, beep...weather truck backing up.

But with all Maryland's offensive weapons (or so we're told), you thought we'd shut them down. Then one db went down and that's what it took for Maryland to explore the running game. Then the Maryland coaches noticed, "hey their DE's aren't very big." My oh my you're a great football mind.

Thus, in your opinion had AW11 not went down, you expected Maryland to get a FG and a pick 6, BUT that game "didn't surprise" you.

You can also find my posts from last winter when I thought Maryland would be difficult to beat. I liked the way our defense played the first 3 games and that Maryland was starting a 3rd string QB. Things looked differently once the game started.

You continue to rip the defense and think someone could do better. Please tell me who that defensive coordinator could be?

You can also find my posts from last winter when I thought Maryland would be difficult to beat. I liked the way our defense played the first 3 games and that Maryland was starting a 3rd string QB. Things looked differently once the game started.

You continue to rip the defense and think someone could do better. Please tell me who that defensive coordinator could be?

I wish Vegas let me bet after the game started.

Someone with a record of success not just a record.

D - an ugly year that finished really bad. Fleck the recruiter needs to come through.

B

Anyone who knew this team nationally knew the mess he was coming into.
Off the field we went from the worst possible off-the-field season to an exceptional one.
On the field performance was similar to last years. Beat to teams we should beat, lost teams we never beat.

I don't see how we are better next year?

22 McCrary, Kobe RB 6-1 240 SR Chipley, Fla. (Butler CC)
76 Calhoun, Vincent OL 6-4 320 SR Roswell, Ga. (Southwest Mississippi CC)
96 Richardson, Steven DL 6-0 292 SR Chicago, Ill. (Mt. Carmel HS)
13 Celestin, Jonathan LB 6-1 232 SR Jonesboro, Ga. (Mundy's Mill HS)
86 Lingen, Brandon TE 6-5 254 SR Wayzata, Minn. (Wayzata HS)
99 Stelter, Andrew DL 6-4 298 SR Owatonna, Minn. (Owatonna HS)
42 Juenemann, Justin K 6-0 175 RS SR Phillipsburg, Kan. (Phillipsburg HS)
8 McGhee, Duke DB 6-1 211 RS SR Decatur, Ga. (Cedar Grove HS)
9 Carter, Eric WR 5-11 193 RS SR Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson Senior HS)
18 Santoso, Ryan P 6-6 258 RS SR Pace, Fla. (Pace HS)
93 Jackson, Merrick DL 6-2 316 RS SR East St. Louis, Ill. (Iowa Western CC)
15 Rhoda, Conor QB 6-3 225 RS SR Eagan, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
12 Poock, Cody LB 6-2 229 RS SR Okoboji, Iowa (Iowa Western CC)
4 Ayinde, Adekunle DB 6-0 210 RS SR Blaine, Minn. (Blaine HS)
80 Wozniak, Nate TE 6-10 280 RS SR Greenwood, Ind. (Center Grove HS)
78 Wright, Garrison OL 6-4 319 RS SR Beattie, Kan. (Butler CC)

That's 12 guys or so who played a lot. Some were definitely better last year than this year but still. Doesn't count the transfers, depending who they turn out to be. Next year we will hear how young we are in year one. If it happens at all, it will take a while. It will not happen 100% with any QB on the roster. Only chance is Vic or somebody being really good at the position. What if earlier reports are accurate Smith is going to the NFL? Is it concussions Brooks is dealing with? No RB with experience would not help. Next year unfortunately could easily be worse. What does that do for recruiting and guys leaving? What if Warinner or Paup leaves?
If next year is worse how many fans do we have? How tired of PJ will many people be?
PJ needs to perform magic. I just don't think we are WMU.

I don't see how we are better next year?

22 McCrary, Kobe RB 6-1 240 SR Chipley, Fla. (Butler CC)
76 Calhoun, Vincent OL 6-4 320 SR Roswell, Ga. (Southwest Mississippi CC)
96 Richardson, Steven DL 6-0 292 SR Chicago, Ill. (Mt. Carmel HS)
13 Celestin, Jonathan LB 6-1 232 SR Jonesboro, Ga. (Mundy's Mill HS)
86 Lingen, Brandon TE 6-5 254 SR Wayzata, Minn. (Wayzata HS)
99 Stelter, Andrew DL 6-4 298 SR Owatonna, Minn. (Owatonna HS)
42 Juenemann, Justin K 6-0 175 RS SR Phillipsburg, Kan. (Phillipsburg HS)
8 McGhee, Duke DB 6-1 211 RS SR Decatur, Ga. (Cedar Grove HS)
9 Carter, Eric WR 5-11 193 RS SR Lakeland, Fla. (Lake Gibson Senior HS)
18 Santoso, Ryan P 6-6 258 RS SR Pace, Fla. (Pace HS)
93 Jackson, Merrick DL 6-2 316 RS SR East St. Louis, Ill. (Iowa Western CC)
15 Rhoda, Conor QB 6-3 225 RS SR Eagan, Minn. (Cretin-Derham Hall HS)
12 Poock, Cody LB 6-2 229 RS SR Okoboji, Iowa (Iowa Western CC)
4 Ayinde, Adekunle DB 6-0 210 RS SR Blaine, Minn. (Blaine HS)
80 Wozniak, Nate TE 6-10 280 RS SR Greenwood, Ind. (Center Grove HS)
78 Wright, Garrison OL 6-4 319 RS SR Beattie, Kan. (Butler CC)

That's 12 guys or so who played a lot. Some were definitely better last year than this year but still. Doesn't count the transfers, depending who they turn out to be. Next year we will hear how young we are in year one. If it happens at all, it will take a while. It will not happen 100% with any QB on the roster. Only chance is Vic or somebody being really good at the position. What if earlier reports are accurate Smith is going to the NFL? Is it concussions Brooks is dealing with? No RB with experience would not help. Next year unfortunately could easily be worse. What does that do for recruiting and guys leaving? What if Warinner or Paup leaves?
If next year is worse how many fans do we have? How tired of PJ will many people be?
PJ needs to perform magic. I just don't think we are WMU.

Out of those players who is going to be difficult to replace? Richardson is about it, but he also has his limitations due to his height.

D-

Expected a minimum of 6 wins and he did not deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of those players who is going to be difficult to replace? Richardson is about it, but he also has his limitations due to his height.

McGhee will be. Guy had heart and toughness this team needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom