What grade would you give PJ Fleck in his Gopher debut season?

• A

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • B

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • C

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • D

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • F

Votes: 38 18.1%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I voted D but probably deserves an F. I just referenced S&P+ and this is the worst team in at least 20 years from an advanced stats perspective. Couple that with dropping winnable games vs the dregs, seeming inability to get much out of his players. We did take advantage of the worst of the worst, so perhaps a D-.

EDIT: nothing above predicts the future. Still hopeful for 2018.

D- only because he didn't lose any of the first 3 games. If he loses 1 of those 3 it's F.

F. Straight up F.

Zero trophy game wins.
Zero meaningful conference wins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

F. Giving him a D grade would be way too positive. The only positive this whole season was the Nebraska game, and Nebraska is absolute garbage.

This is certainly not elite, but on the bright side, failure is growth.:clap:

This is certainly not elite, but on the bright side, failure is growth.:clap:

Thanks! I needed the laugh. Ugh that was ugly. Save efforts from Smith and McCrary, all phases went backward. Everything regressed.

I always think in terms did I enjoy the season- I only see 2 weeks- the Neb and the OSU wins as they only time I walked away thinking that was fun to watch. I gave him an F based on lackluster play most of the year, not competitive in any trophy game and no one really progressing this year. His offense was extremely predictable in games and coaching never seem to change the game plan and make adjustments. I am worried where he will take us in the next few years

C

Post Rhoda days, we were 2-0 in winnable B1G games. B grade or higher steals at least the axe or 2 more wins against top 25 gauntlet below.

Top 25 teams on schedule (some might finish out of 25 but they were in and around it):

@NW
@Iowa
@Mich
MSU
WISC

You can motivate a cat to think he’s a dog, but you probably should spend some time teaching it to fetch.

D.....Beat nobody and were not competitive against good teams.....If they would have lost to Illinois and Nebraska, then it would have been an F

Between a D and an F.

An E, for an Elite Embarrassment.

So exactly like last year?
How is a 5 - 7 season exactly like a 9 - 4 season?

How is a 2-7 conference record exactly like a 5-4 conference record?

What color is the sky in your world, son?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

F.

I was a Fleck fan. Firmly in a wait and see camp now. Will cheer for the team to win but the whole tone of the staff and season, culminating with 70-0 in the last two games, has soured me.

Heather’s not buying most of by this point. A grade of D would be generous.

If D minus had been an option, I would have chosen it.

I still think Fleck is going to win at some point in the future, and I hope he's so successful that we're happy to have him here for 20 years or more. But I would have preferred for him to produce more in his first year. I don't believe that it was necessary to implode the team and rebuild from its ashes.

I always think in terms did I enjoy the season- I only see 2 weeks- the Neb and the OSU wins as they only time I walked away thinking that was fun to watch. I gave him an F based on lackluster play most of the year, not competitive in any trophy game and no one really progressing this year. His offense was extremely predictable in games and coaching never seem to change the game plan and make adjustments. I am worried where he will take us in the next few years

I agree with the bolded. I voted C given all the injuries, change in system, new QB. Hopeful to see growth next year. Worried that his system won't work without much better recruiting and I'm not sure he's getting it so far. Time will tell. Plenty of up and coming coaches fail, and plenty succeed. We will see what happens.

So exactly like last year?

Again with this? STOP TURNING EVERY shot at PJ into a Kill/Claeys comparison. Why do you do that non-stop? Give your A vote and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D. Maryland and Purdue losses hurt bad. No points in last two games. Lots of work to do to dig out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I voted D but I still think he wins here

I don't know how you can give a coach that wasn't trying to win anything above a F.

It was visible in film all year long, Wisconsin's safeties struggle with downfield passing. They struggled in coverage today, but it never mattered because we didn't attack it.
Fleck knew it, I knew it, y'all knew it, and yet Fleck did nothing to exploit it.
So there you go, we won the games that our system let us win this year and did nothing to go above and beyond.
Fleck didn't want to win this year. I don't know if he's going to want to win next year, but I do know that we will improve as he gets his players in place.

He wasn't trying to win this year or he would have adapted his systems to our players, not vice-versa.
He's forcing a rebuild even though we didn't need it, so whatever.
That said, stop extending him, because right now, he doesn't care if he wins or loses.

If D minus had been an option, I would have chosen it.

I still think Fleck is going to win at some point in the future, and I hope he's so successful that we're happy to have him here for 20 years or more. But I would have preferred for him to produce more in his first year. I don't believe that it was necessary to implode the team and rebuild from its ashes.

1. He didn't. Perhaps you forgot that (a) we didn't have a competent QB this season and (b) we had tons of injuries to starters, particularly at WR, OL, and DB.
2. Arguably, it should be rebuilt. The previous regime had an ultra-boring RUTM offense that led to failure to be able to recruit a competent QB, and a failure to be able to recruit quality WRs. The previous regime won on defense; of which this team lost a good number of last year's star defensive players, yet still was competent enough defensively to compete strongly in all games but three. I'm fine with a rebuild, at least on the offensive side of the ball. There was no real future there.

This was year zero. Fleck debuts his team next August.
Since this was not an official season, I give him an audit mark for attending the class. Next year, Fleck gets to take the class for real. /s

Top Bottom