Murphy going Pro?

It will be a sad day when Jordan Murphy no longer wears the maroon and gold. I think his senior year here could be truly epic, but then i have to remind myself that this junior season might already end up being just that.

These are not mutually inclusive. A tournament run means very little, in most cases, for one's draft stock. If we go to the elite 8, it's likely because the entire team is playing well. That's just how this squad is built. There is no Colin Sexton.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I suppose, but national exposure does matter, especially against top teams. NBA teams do place play in the tourney over regular season, given that a prospect makes the tourney.

I don't know, ask Tyus Jones.

Are you talking about the 5-Star Duke player who was on draft boards prior to their tourney run?

Prior to the ‘15 tourney:

#17 to Bucks” on CBS Sports mock draft in Dec

Chad Ford, ESPN: #23

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports: #23

Actual pick: Cleveland, #24

Did Murphy score 0 points in the second half vs Alabama? That’s how it appears to me.

Anyway, I think Murphy could play in the NBA. I don’t think he’ll leave early. I don’t know if he’ll even get drafted. Maybe in the 2nd round and then he gets a chance to try to make a team. I like how his game has evolved this year.

Depends on the tournament run, if they make top 8 or so. He could be a top 30 pick.

If Jordan Murphy plays we'll rest of year and next he will get looks from NBA. He doesn't need a good gophers run in tournament or television exposure. If the NBA execs don't know who he is by now and need him to be on tv more they all should be fired!

You're starting to hear more Draymond Green comparisons. I can see the similarities.

Important to remember, though, that Green stayed 4 years at MSU and was an early 2nd round pick. He probably wouldn't have been drafted had he come out his junior year. He really didn't start to add the perimeter element to his game until later in his MSU career and then in the NBA, and that's what's allowed him to be an effective NBA player even though he's undersized for a PF/C. Murphy might be following a similar path.

I suppose it's possible that Green showed NBA scouts what an undersized PF could become, and so now they might be more willing to grab a guy like Murphy earlier.

Are you talking about the 5-Star Duke player who was on draft boards prior to their tourney run?

Prior to the ‘15 tourney:

#17 to Bucks” on CBS Sports mock draft in Dec

Chad Ford, ESPN: #23

Gary Parrish, CBS Sports: #23

Actual pick: Cleveland, #24

Tyus was not a first round pick before the tournament. In fact, if we don't make that trade, I am not entirely sure he goes first round even AFTER the tournament he had.

If Jordan Murphy plays we'll rest of year and next he will get looks from NBA. He doesn't need a good gophers run in tournament or television exposure. If the NBA execs don't know who he is by now and need him to be on tv more they all should be fired!
?

A good tournament run positively affects a prospects draft stock. This isn't rocket science.

Who is comparing him to Draymond? People on Gopherhole?

I haven’t seen many people outside of this site mention Draymond when talking about Murphy

?

A good tournament run positively affects a prospects draft stock. This isn't rocket science.

Yes a player can improve his stock no doubt. A player will improve his stock because he plays well not because his team makes elite eight as opposed to sweet sixteen. So if the gophers go to final four but Murphy plays average his stock goes up? Lol

Who is comparing him to Draymond? People on Gopherhole?

I haven’t seen many people outside of this site mention Draymond when talking about Murphy

The DG comparison is media laziness. Tim Doyle said during the first broadcast that he asked Murphy who he patterns his game after and Murphy said something like I really don’t know, maybe Draymont Green. Doyle then made about thirty three references to Murphy/Green over the two games and now we are going to hear about it all year.
Murphy is having a phenomenal year and is well beyond where anyone would have projected him two years ago. His inside game and rebounding have really improved to the point of being dominant so far this year. His moves are way less predictable. If he improves his passing, dribbling and outside shooting he might make an NBA roster as an undersized sf (he’s 6’5”) and it would be a cool story. Green is an all star, a top 15 player who does everything well. It’s not a valid comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The DG comparison is media laziness. Tim Doyle said during the first broadcast that he asked Murphy who he patterns his game after and Murphy said something like I really don’t know, maybe Draymont Green. Doyle then made about thirty three references to Murphy/Green over the two games and now we are going to hear about it all year.
Murphy is having a phenomenal year and is well beyond where anyone would have projected him two years ago. His inside game and rebounding have really improved to the point of being dominant so far this year. His moves are way less predictable. If he improves his passing, dribbling and outside shooting he might make an NBA roster as an undersized sf (he’s 6’5”) and it would be a cool story. Green is an all star, a top 15 player who does everything well. It’s not a valid comparison.

I can't speak for anyone on the Gopherhole, but I think the comparison to Draymond Green is applicable in the sense that they are both undsersized at their position(not that they play the same way). Murphy and Green have very different styles and the major thing they have in common is being undersized and being relentless with their energy.

If Murphy ever finds any major success in the NBA it will be because he forces his way into an uncommon role or niche. Just as Green has carved out a role in the NBA that is not common at all.

I can't speak for anyone on the Gopherhole, but I think the comparison to Draymond Green is applicable in the sense that they are both undsersized at their position(not that they play the same way). Murphy and Green have very different styles and the major thing they have in common is being undersized and being relentless with their energy.

If Murphy ever finds any major success in the NBA it will be because he forces his way into an uncommon role or niche. Just as Green has carved out a role in the NBA that is not common at all.

Until this year Murphy has not been relentless in his energy. That has been one of the major changes in his game.

Tyus was not a first round pick before the tournament. In fact, if we don't make that trade, I am not entirely sure he goes first round even AFTER the tournament he had.

I just showed you three publications that had him going in the first round - all published between Oct and Feb '15

Irrelevant. A lot of guys that get drafted don't make it in the NBA. Doesn't mean that he will not choose to go pro after this year.

I said "make it". Not drafted. I doubt he'd be drafted though, but maybe some team that just wants to burn a 2nd rounder on a gamble.

By the way, Murphy is my favorite Gopher player right now. He's an excellent college player. I just don't see him making it in the NBA.

I wonder if Mason is proving he can be the 3rd PG on a NBA roster. I don't see why not. Would anyone bet against Mason going up against Tyus Jones?

I wonder if Mason is proving he can be the 3rd PG on a NBA roster. I don't see why not. Would anyone bet against Mason going up against Tyus Jones?

Seriously? Yes, I would.

Yep. Green made 52 3 pointers his senior year, 37 his junior year. Green also had 141 assists in each of his junior and senior year.

So far Murphy has made 15 3-point shots in his career and has 61 assists in his career. If Murphy wants the Green role he needs to do those things better.

Yeah, I never thought of him going pro, prior to last game, but the announcers were all over him, and his potential as a draft pick. They were comparing him to Draymond Green.

It would hurt the team a lot, not just for losing a talent like that, but because we are losing Lynch as well. I always loved the idea of him staying, while slowly building bigger roles for Oturu and Curry. If both our starting bigs are gone next season, the team will take a substantial step back.

Of course I have a biased opinion, being a Gopher fan, but I think it would be best for him to stay another year, and work on that last gap in his game, which is 3 point shooting. If he came back for his senior year with a 3 point shot in his arsenal, and put up similar numbers to this year, you are now talking about a potential lottery pick.

+1
Draymond played PG in high school for a state champion in Saginaw High. He has always had handles and been an elite passer.

What he developed at Sparty was a leaner frame and consistency with his 3 pt shot.

Murphy is a better rebounder and athlete than Draymond.

They are not that similar in style or skillset if you compare the 2 as juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he'll get his shot in the NBA at some point. Maybe a 2nd round pick who either plays in China for awhile, or bounces around the G-League. I think he will certainly get a look in the next Summer league. I fell Reggie Lynch will get looks too. His age is a big detriment to him though. NBA offices love the younger guys, over established players. Lynch is on his way to being a two time Big Ten DPoY though. And he is a willing role player.

The other Gopher I view as a potential NBA guy, is Amir Coffey. I think his prospects are falling though. Not that he's been bad, he just hasnt taken the step forward.

Another guy to throw in to the mix is Jamir Harris. He has been an awesome surprise. Of course he hasnt done enough yet, and is just a bit player here, but his 3 point ability is gigantic. Quick release, pure stroke. When he gets to the point in his college career where he is playing 25+ mpg consistently, and hitting over 40% from 3, NBA scouts are going to salivate. Even if he doesnt develop an all around game, in the NBA, you can be a one trick pony, if that one trick is 3 point shooting.

Has it ever been brought up that Hurt would reclassify to next years recruiting class.

He is a 6'6 pf without a 3 point shot. He wont make it in the NBA at all. One absolute hell of a college player and I hope he comes back, but he wont do a thing in the NBA.

Top Bottom